ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Hi,

I'm not an expert of hog hunting and i'm very curious about something: would you consider a pure breed English Bull Terrier right for hunting hogs?

As far as i know there are still some bloodlines of this breed with dogs more fast and tough (especially dogs from "old style" lines like the one in the picture).

I found on the web interesting videos of BT used for hunting in Florida (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUUwLR_-hTA) and also pictures of a BT used in Australia to catch boars (http://www.boardogs.com/Working_Dogs1.htm).

What u think?

Do you know of anybody else that use EBT for hunting boars today?

post-15109-1201847128_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

13 month old sisters showing a bit of interest around a few holes

will check that out heres my fella, carrying a bit of weight tho around 36kg there

Hello mate dont want to sound rude but the BT in the pic is not of old style (lines) That is a moden day show ring dog. It would probably do well in the show ring but no good out in the field.   T

Posted Images

Hes a good looking dog mate probly do well in the show ring, my brother used them in the 80's and he would have to lose some condition which he would if worked regularly.

Ive seen the sight with the american guy that uses the EBT and the bred would suit their style of hunting where they lead a bull dog into the bail.

The Aussie exeperance is a bit defferent as we expect our dogs to hunt up to a pig run it down then catch and hold. while there is always the3 exeption the most part the bully in pure form had some draw backs ,dog aggressive, would not let go, a bit slow. They have plenty of attrubutes to bring to the cross breed though, good nose, prey drive, high pain tolerance,

Some common crosses are bully /cattle, bully/boxer, bully/greyhound, and they have played a major roll in the make up of many other aussie pig dogs.

stevemac

• Like 1
Hes a good looking dog mate probly do well in the show ring, my brother used them in the 80's and he would have to lose some condition which he would if worked regularly.

Ive seen the sight with the american guy that uses the EBT and the bred would suit their style of hunting where they lead a bull dog into the bail.

The Aussie exeperance is a bit defferent as we expect our dogs to hunt up to a pig run it down then catch and hold. while there is always the3 exeption the most part the bully in pure form had some draw backs ,dog aggressive, would not let go, a bit slow. They have plenty of attrubutes to bring to the cross breed though, good nose, prey drive, high pain tolerance,

Some common crosses are bully /cattle, bully/boxer, bully/greyhound, and they have played a major roll in the make up of many other aussie pig dogs.

stevemac

Thanks so much for the info!

Do you know of anyone that use this pure breed for hunting today?

i heard that it has been used for hunting boars in Czech Republic for example but i couldn't find anything on the web.

Hunterbull they are fine in their pure form, good nose, great prey drive and tenacity, but as Stevemac says they are a little lacking in the long leg department and they always want to fight with other dogs. Put it this way, if they catch a pig which is very probable they will hold it like there is no tomorrow.

I don't know of anyone personally these days that uses them in pure form, but yes they will do the job for you.

Stevemac's post summed them up very well I thought.

Happy hunting

• 8 months later...
Hunterbull they are fine in their pure form, good nose, great prey drive and tenacity, but as Stevemac says they are a little lacking in the long leg department and they always want to fight with other dogs. Put it this way, if they catch a pig which is very probable they will hold it like there is no tomorrow.

I don't know of anyone personally these days that uses them in pure form, but yes they will do the job for you.

Stevemac's post summed them up very well I thought.

Happy hunting

hey guys, interesting to see your your coments on ebts,they are great dogs, with tremendous personalities and energy, for whatever they channel it to, i have five, four standards and a miniature, which works, she will hunt anything and goes to ground and mixes in, and my big dog would take anything you put him on , and they are all good with other dogs, if you need to know more give me a shout.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well i had a debate with my uncvle about this dog he has one and its an animal its huge it nearly a year and is 6 stone he is aright lump big head well i was concidering which is the best dog english bull terrier or american bull terrier i think the american but i dot know weather i chose this because the publicity it has :blink:

• Like 1
Hi,

I'm not an expert of hog hunting and i'm very curious about something: would you consider a pure breed English Bull Terrier right for hunting hogs?

As far as i know there are still some bloodlines of this breed with dogs more fast and tough (especially dogs from "old style" lines like the one in the picture).

I found on the web interesting videos of BT used for hunting in Florida (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUUwLR_-hTA) and also pictures of a BT used in Australia to catch boars (http://www.boardogs.com/Working_Dogs1.htm).

What u think?

Do you know of anybody else that use EBT for hunting boars today?

post-15109-1201847128_thumb.jpg

try a rhodesion ridgeback,x greyhound, excellent cross, for foxes and wild boar,fantastic allround dogs, I was given a pup, in south africa, family dog +gaurd dog, Border Lad,
  • Like 1

Hello mate dont want to sound rude but the BT in the pic is not of old style (lines)

That is a moden day show ring dog.

It would probably do well in the show ring but no good out in the field.

This is an old style BT.

You can see which dog looks more capeable.

ellen.jpg

• Like 7