Rat Hunting tips?

Guest somnophore

Guest somnophore

Hi there, so I've had my webley stingray for a bit now, starting to get decent groupings, and killed a rat at close range in my garden, a friend from work says he has rats out in the day in his garden under his decking, and doesnt want to use posion or traps because he has cats, so i offered to help. Do you have any tips for hunting rats, i should try and set up a bean bag rest to rest my hand on, but whats best, do i have to camo up a lot or not? any tips welcome, what pellets would you recommend.

Guest somnophore

you lot all moan on about the BBS at least on there someone actually replies to a post asking for help, i've asked for any tips, 20 people have viewed and not one has responded, which on a hunting forum is a bit bad really

Nice choice of gun mate,

a bean bag or anything at the right height to rest you forehand on will do nicely, no need for cammo, dark clothing will do. Slow movements are essential to lift your gun to mount and don't rush the shot.

Any pellet at close range will do the job. Patience is of a virtue and liquadised cat food as bait is magic.

Happy ratting :thumbs:

get some cat food or sardenes mix it with milk into a thick liquid this way the rats cant grab a chunk and run off with it....sit out of the way..bedroom window may be?? and wait..you may have to feed them for a week or so start with it very close to the decking and move the food out a few inches a day untill you can get a clear shot..then have fun......buy the way...many people on hear have diferant interests and the twenty people that viewed your post may have known sod all about shooting rats..yes you will probably get very quick answers from bbs..but generaly from kids that dont shoot or muppits..most of the time on hear you get sound advice from people that have been there and done it....chill out...you'll probably shoot more!!! :thumbs:

get some cat food or sardenes mix it with milk into a thick liquid this way the rats cant grab a chunk and run off with it....sit out of the way..bedroom window may be?? and wait..you may have to feed them for a week or so start with it very close to the decking and move the food out a few inches a day untill you can get a clear shot..then have fun......buy the way...many people on hear have diferant interests and the twenty people that viewed your post may have known sod all about shooting rats..yes you will probably get very quick answers from bbs..but generaly from kids that dont shoot or muppits..most of the time on hear you get sound advice from people that have been there and done it....chill out...you'll probably shoot more!!! :thumbs:

That sounds pretty sensible...I've never used Bisley Pest Control but an ideal ratting gun is a .25. If yours is a .22 and you can get close, use a heavy pellet like the Bisley Magnum, it has an arc like a rainbow in a 12ft lb but hits rats like a train. Pointed pellets and .177 are not great for rats as they tend to go right through and do not impart enough energy into the rat. Hollow point are OK so are flat pellets but both struggle with accuracy. So, for rat, get as close as you can, use as big a calibre as you can and use a heavy domed pellet!

Others have also made valid comments, so away you go, if you want more help you will get far better information and advice here than that other site..!

hi ya mate ive killed litterly thousands of longy's <longtail's = rats> but mainly at night use accupels and a spotlight with a red filter ,, bait em if you like but if they aint bin shot before theres proberly no need dont use the spotlight without the red filter fitted,, white light spooks em to much plus they dont see the red light aswell ,, if you use accupels they act as as tracers lighting up,, so if you miss you can see where you missed up or low or whatever,, remember they have poor eyesightbut good other senses and they like sticking to the outsides of fences and such and dont like being in the open,, if you aint got a proper spotlight just place some red soda bottle plastic over the lenseof a torch or whatever you got you might have to double yhe thickness of it to get it red enough so it aint pink,,,,,,,, happy wastin :gunsmilie:

you lot all moan on about the BBS at least on there someone actually replies to a post asking for help, i've asked for any tips, 20 people have viewed and not one has responded, which on a hunting forum is a bit bad really

Yer only waited an hour :whistling: some people know Jack Sh!t about rat hunting, the 20 views maybe were those who knew nowt, the lads on here don't need prompting, Som, a bit of patience goes a long way. ;)

• 4 months later...

ello well im only 13 and i shoot a lot in my backgarden i shoot rats and wood pigeons magpies exc all i do is put some bread down it might sound silly but when they no food is there they will come back daily and i shoot out of my window because my bedrooms at the back of the house rats have got good hearin and good sense of smell use the advantage of them not havin very good eyesight allways be still and quite.

Yer only waited an hour :whistling: some people know Jack Sh!t about rat hunting, the 20 views maybe were those who knew nowt, the lads on here don't need prompting, Som, a bit of patience goes a long way. ;)

Missed this one first time around.

Looking at the profile of the person that asked the question. They joined on the 13th January and haven't been back since they responded to this thread. A grand total of 9 days membership. :rolleyes:

Someone has a problem and they want it solving immediately. They think that because all their problems aren't solved, within an hour, that it's fair to criticise. Well, I disagree. If someone on the BBS has the time to sit around, all day, and answer your queries then great... go there.

As for patience... I haven't got any, for people like this. The internet is full of lazy people that want everything at the push of a button. A simple bit of observation would've cleared this rat problem and an hour is not alot to ask. We have a great airgun forum here, full of people willing to share their days out and their hunting stories and tips, etc. This person hasn't provided anything... so I'll delete the account. :D