This year's General Licenses 2008

Nice AA S310 Grim!

Glad you like :)

I made it myself (first time doing this sort of thing), working at it for a few hours per night on a few nights per week basis after i had finished my day job - it took around 6 months overall, from doing the initial full size drawings, to putting on the final oil coat.

I had the original AA beech stock on it before that, but i wanted a genuine walnut thumbhole, and i wanted to make it so it was fitted to me and my requirements, like. With the beech stock, the length of pull was slightly too short for me (i could shoot well enough with it, mind) and when i made the walnut one, i finished the job by balancing the stock to the rifle, which makes the standing shots so much more stable than before.

Cheers, :)

Edited by Grim Reaper
Thanks for that, it's a bit of a worry that Un-Natural England now controls the licences though. :thumbdown:

Yeah, i agree. To be honest with you, i don't know that much about them - i'd have prefered the GL's to stay with DEFRA at the end of the day . . . .but thats life! :cry:

My appologies if this has been done :o, if it has then Mods feel free to delete it. :icon_redface:

As you may be aware, wef: 01/01/2008, DEFRA no longer deals with the GL's - they are now being dealt with by Natural England 'Clicky'

The 'clicky' takes you to the GL page of the Natural England web site - from there you can download the GL relevant to you, but you will need to have Acrobat on your system to do it.

These are the ones that are of use to us, one way or t'other:

Licence to kill or take certain birds to prevent serious damage or disease WML Gen-LO5

Licence to kill or take certain birds to preserve air safety WML Gen-LO6

Licence to kill or take certain birds to preserve public health or public safety WML Gen-LO7

Licence to kill or take certain birds to conserve wild birds WML Gen-LO8

Hope this helps, and is useful to everybody.

Regards, :)

Grim

plz excuse my ignorance on this matter.

the way i read the website is this..... anyone can DL one of these licence's and use it as they have taken AWAY the need to apply for them now?

is this correct?

many thanks RCT

plz excuse my ignorance on this matter.

the way i read the website is this..... anyone can DL one of these licence's and use it as they have taken AWAY the need to apply for them now?

is this correct?

many thanks RCT

That's the way it's been for quite some time. :thumbs:

OK Basically it works like this;

The Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 starts by protecting virtually everything from virtually everything.

There are then various 'licenses' granted that allow you to take or control various species.

Some of these are granted on application (e.g. for cormorants)

Others are 'general' licenses that are available to everyone and which you don't have to apply for. These general licenses allow you to 'take or control' certin birds for certain reasons only. It is important that you understand which license you are shooting under; be it protecting crops, public health or protecting wild birds.

For example, it is illegal to shoot pigeons in order to obtain food. However you can shoot them in order to protect crops and then eat them :thumbs:

OK Basically it works like this;

The Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 starts by protecting virtually everything from virtually everything.

There are then various 'licenses' granted that allow you to take or control various species.

Some of these are granted on application (e.g. for cormorants)

Others are 'general' licenses that are available to everyone and which you don't have to apply for. These general licenses allow you to 'take or control' certin birds for certain reasons only. It is important that you understand which license you are shooting under; be it protecting crops, public health or protecting wild birds.

For example, it is illegal to shoot pigeons in order to obtain food. However you can shoot them in order to protect crops and then eat them :thumbs:

So for example, if shooting magpies to stop them raiding the nests of songbirds, that would come under:

Licence to kill or take certain birds to conserve wild birds WML Gen-LO8

So, the license's are in effect, automaticly granted to everybody, as long as you have permision to do so by the land owner/tennent, and your doing it for one of the reasons stated.

Have I got it? :laugh:

Bingo :good:

Hi guys,

Yes as i understand things, you don't HAVE to be in posession of them while on your shoot, in order to shoot the birds mentioned within the individual licenses named. But I would say that it wouldn't be a bad thing if you had them in your posession, say, either in your shooting files, or on your pc system, if for no better reason than that you can then prove (if the need should arrise) that you are acting leagally where you have shooting permission. I would even go so far as to say that it may well help your game if you did have them to hand, like.

I was in a situation on one of my shoots last year - a crematorium local to me where the landowner owns not just the crematorium itself, but also several fields immediately surrounding the crem as well (the permission covers the crem grounds themselves, and these fields). I was simply doing a reccy of the grounds and had only my shooting files with me - i was taking measurements and making notes on what i saw and where it was - sitty trees, warrens etc.

Several anti types came up to me and asked (quite gruffly and impolitelyit has to be said) what i was up to. I explained to them and produced my written permission, along with the copies of the general licenses, and a copy (under DEFRA then) of the legal obligations of landowners regarding rabbits etc., and after that they had to walk away with nothing further to say in the matter.

Since then, i have always made sure up to date licenses are in my file - like i say, if the need arises, i can settle the situation and come out on top of it.

Hope this helps.

Grim

Edited by Grim Reaper
  • 2 months later...

Hello, just been printing off the general licence 'to kill or take certain birds to prevent serious damage or disease' but cant find one for mammals. Is there not one for rabbits, rats etc any more? I remember having one of the old DEFRA ones.

Thanks

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This may sound dumb but when it says england, does that mean whole of the uk? cant see any thing about scotland, they normaly put uk or gb dont they? do these then just cover england? Looked for scottish but found nothing? Me confused, but then again that dont take much these days hehe.

This may sound dumb but when it says england, does that mean whole of the uk? cant see any thing about scotland, they normaly put uk or gb dont they? do these then just cover england? Looked for scottish but found nothing? Me confused, but then again that dont take much these days hehe.

Scotland issues its own licences with some differences in the species listed (last time I looked Canada Geese weren't on the pest list in Scotland but House Sparrow and Starling still were). Here you go:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Environm...l-licences/2008