Gos Male And Woodcock

jasper65

have u flown PR gosses ?

Yes i've flown 2 parent reared Goses, there not for me !, if i won the lottery, and had all the time in the world, perhaps ! , i like the imprints, i like it when you lose them, that they come back looking and calling, to find you !, and why not !, you've been there life as well !, they look at you as there parent.

Allways keep that in mind.

If a parent bird in the wild, fail to bring a kill to that bird, if that bird was hungry, it who attact the parent and scream at it for food, watch young Buzzards with there parents., they do it all the time.

If your thinking of doing an imprint, you must be able to think on your feet, ideally solve problems before they happen or not ideally as they happen, or worse still don't solve the problems at all, then you've got a problem on your hands.

As i said before, read the book again and again, it's not rocket science, doing an imprint is totally different to a parent reared, don't try and mix the 2 practices, it just won't work !

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Scottish Daz
have u flown PR gosses ?

Yes i've flown 2 parent reared Goses, there not for me !, if i won the lottery, and had all the time in the world, perhaps ! , i like the imprints, i like it when you lose them, that they come back looking and calling, to find you !, and why not !, you've been there life as well !, they look at you as there parent.

If a parent bird in the wild, fail to bring a kill to that bird, if that bird was hungry, it who attact the parent and scream at it for food, watch young Buzzards with there parents., they do it all the time.

If your thinking of doing an imprint, you must be able to think on your feet, ideally solve problems before they happen or not ideally as they happen, or worse still don't solve the problems at all, then you've got a problem on your hands.

As i said before, read the book again and again, it's not rocket science, doing an imprint is totally different to a parent reared, don't try and mix the 2 practices, it just won't work !

thanks sherman, its nice to get an opinion from someone whos flown both, why wouldnt you fly another PR gos,

SD

have u flown PR gosses ?

thanks sherman, its nice to get an opinion from someone whos flown both, why wouldnt you fly another PR gos,

SD

I would if i had all the time in the world, to sit around with a nice tiring in my hand, gos on my fist, and just spend quality with it, and chill out.

I work for my self, and i work long and hard some days, no problem, the bird comes to work, socialize's with me and other people, and situations all day, you can't get better manning.

"Sherman had made 100 kills by the the 9th of sep,most parent reared probable won't have killed by then,that's another bi plus of flying an imprint.

Guest Scottish Daz
have u flown PR gosses ?

SD

I would if i had all the time in the world, to sit around with a nice tiring in my hand, gos on my fist, and just spend quality with it, and chill out.

I work for my self, and i work long and hard some days, no problem, the bird comes to work, socialize's with me and other people, and situations all day, you can't get better manning.

"Sherman had made 100 kills by the the 9th of sep,most parent reared probable won't have killed by then,that's another bi plus of flying an imprint.

sorry a bit confused, so your saying your spend all day with your imprint, but not got time with a PR, why not do put the same time with the PR ? ie take it work and put it in the same surroundings

cheers sd

have u flown PR gosses ?

SD

sorry a bit confused, so your saying your spend all day with your imprint, but not got time with a PR, why not do put the same time with the PR ? ie take it work and put it in the same surroundings

cheers sd

Different sort of time spent, my imprint comes to work, when it's a downy in a builders bucket !, then when it can sit on a perch, on a portable block, i hav,nt got it on my fist, i plae it somewhere so i'm walking pass it all the time, even stepping in over it !

A parent reared is different, time spent with it is on your fist, picking on a tiring, useing the tiring to take its attention from what is going on, thats why parent reared, allways fly at a lighter weight, than an imprint !

Guest Scottish Daz
Is the art of falconry to train and enter a parent reared youngster or a bird on passage... the original way that is.. :hmm: ...

Millet

falconry is defined has catching wild quarry with a trained bird of prey in its natural state, it does not define the upbringing of the bird, it does not matter how you trian the bird, so long has the end results are the same, surely ??

we all have different methods of training irrespective of how the bird was raised.

SD

Guest Scottish Daz
have u flown PR gosses ?

SD

cheers sd

Different sort of time spent, my imprint comes to work, when it's a downy in a builders bucket !, then when it can sit on a perch, on a portable block, i hav,nt got it on my fist, i plae it somewhere so i'm walking pass it all the time, even stepping in over it !

A parent reared is different, time spent with it is on your fist, picking on a tiring, useing the tiring to take its attention from what is going on, thats why parent reared, allways fly at a lighter weight, than an imprint !

ok thanks, im still unsure to take an imprint on, keep getting mixed opinions, so here goes few more questions sorry,

do you think an imprint requires more time and commitment the PR ?

what problems can you get imprinting ?

in your opinion, which is best performance wise in the field and why ?

cheers

SD

thats why parent reared, allways fly at a lighter weight, than an imprint !

Sorry mate I'll have to disagree with you there! conditioning is the key to any bird, Its not just about taking a birds weight off! Yep its obviouse its needed at the start as it is with a Imprint but a Keen P/R bird in Hunting condition should fly not far off its top when in its peak condition, hence the saying "Feed them up and fly them hard"... the Finn x Hungarian female I have here came out of the aviary at 2lb 11, I stopped flying her a few weeks before xmas and she was no where near what I would consider half fit, she finished off flying a tad under 2lb 7, I'm pretty sure if I made the effort more would have gone on this bird.

One finn male I had from Bob Haddon came out 1lb 15 1/2, it finished off flying near on 1lb 13! I flew a bird hard back then which I won't repeat again, its no bullshit if you know the guy he'll tell you himself. I keep hearing alot about P/R having to be reduced alot in weight to perform!! all I can say if this is the case they've f****d up in the manning and conditioning somewhere....

This is entirley what I was getting at in a earlier post. flying Imprints all the time will learn people nothing in a skill what used to be called a ART, making a Gos to the Hood is yet another Skill which won't be learned by Imprint flyers because lets face it they shouldn't really need one, the thing is all these skills are being missed these days and in my mind its a waste! I feel proud to habe learned the hard way and sustained the same values, I relish the thought of taking up a bird straight out of the enclosed chamber which comes out simular to a passage bird Temperament wise and winning it over to know only hunt but also to bond with me as a Hunting partner....

Jasper

Guest Scottish Daz
falconry is defined has catching wild quarry with a trained bird of prey in its natural state, it does not define the upbringing of the bird, it does not matter how you trian the bird, so long has the end results are the same, surely ??

we all have different methods of training irrespective of how the bird was raised.

SD

Ok there.. :thumbs: .. Falconry is a very old sport which date's back a lot of year's.. im not sure of the date's but it is a few year's back.. was imprinting on the menu then.. :hmm: ..

Im with the old traditional way personaly and if you can not do it properly give it up as a bad job.. or look down other avanue's.

Millet

wrong again matey, read berts book, i think you will find they took branchers matey, along with passage birds, not too many captive bred gosses around then. :whistling:

have u flown PR gosses ?

SD

cheers sd

ok thanks, im still unsure to take an imprint on, keep getting mixed opinions, so here goes few more questions sorry,

cheers

SD

Its a different sort of time spent !, a parent reared you must spend quailty time with, getting it feed on the fist, and spending time showing it the sites and sounds of life. An imprint comes with you every were, and no's, no different, all he's ever know from 14 days is mans mad world.

in the wild an eyass sits in a nest, and listens to the birds of the woods singing, and has a strees free life, bring him into man's mad world, and his eyes are popping out of his head !

It's like bring "Tarzan of the Apes " to London for the first time.

cheers

SD

Daz.

you're now asking all the same questions over and over again and I'll be Honest not only from my point of view its getting a bit boring now mate? surley you must have asked the top gos lads on the IFF :hmm:, so why ask on here time and time again?

Its time now to change the record, turn over another page and make a decision on what you have already heard from by the sounds of it lots of people, your Breeder has told you to go P/R so go with it and get out and kill some stuff....

Jasper

SD

Ok there.. :thumbs: .. Falconry is a very old sport which date's back a lot of year's.. im not sure of the date's but it is a few year's back.. was imprinting on the menu then.. :hmm: ..

Im with the old traditional way personaly and if you can not do it properly give it up as a bad job.. or look down other avanue's.

Millet

Move with the times, do you go to work by car or on horse back, were do you keep your hawk food, i'll have one guess in a freezer, and what about telemetry, the list goes on.

As i said move with the times, parent reared are not for me, i would'nt have one free to good home.

Guest Scottish Daz

cheers

SD

Daz.

you're now asking all the same questions over and over again and I'll be Honest not only from my point of view its getting a bit boring now mate? surley you must have asked the top gos lads on the IFF :hmm:, so why ask on here time and time again?

Its time now to change the record, turn over another page and make a decision on what you have already heard from by the sounds of it lots of people, your Breeder has told you to go P/R so go with it and get out and kill some stuff....

Jasper

im asking same questions but too different people, i like to get has much advice has i can, whats wrong with that, opinions are like arsoles evrerybody has one,

SD

wrong again matey, read berts book, i think you will find they took branchers matey, along with passage birds, not too many captive bred gosses around then. :whistling:

Daz.

Go back and read a few more and you see Passage and Haggards was the order of the day with Goshawks :whistling:. now wouldn't you love to fly a bird like this which is a pure gennius which has proved its worth in the wild? If there was ever a wild take Licence you'll never manage it just learning the techniques of Imprinting! you'll have to go back to Falconry school and learn Art and Practice! the pair go hand in hand...

Jasper

Guest Scottish Daz

Daz.

Go back and read a few more and you see Passage and Haggards was the order of the day with Goshawks :whistling:. now wouldn't you love to fly a bird like this which is a pure gennius which has proved its worth in the wild? If there was ever a wild take Licence you'll never manage it just learning the techniques of Imprinting! you'll have to go back to Falconry school and learn Art and Practice! the pair go hand in hand...

Jasper

read the book mate, bert did take branchers, infact he hated them,