Gos Male And Woodcock

jasper65

Aww im a bit gutted now.. :( .. when i first read your post i was over the moon but i see a lot of the flight's where mugging's from a moving vehicle which a good male harris hawk can do.. so it's not that exeptional for a gos ..

Not to worry though the bird is still killing and that's what matter's.. :thumbs: ..

One other thing i noticed what you said.. but im not 100% but are Black Headed Gull's legal quarry.. :hmm: ..

Crack on..

Millet

You think what you want to think, i no different. I was there.

By the way, what bird are you flying !

Other an Blackheaded Gulls, he also caught various as well, if you get my meaning !

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Scottish Daz
sherman

welcome to the dark side

What's that meant to mean.. :hmm: ..

I dont mind reading genuine falconry topic's from how it's meant to be done from day's gone by where quarry was walked upon for hour's on end to secure a good flight and kill.. and if you dont like anything i say.. TOUGH.. :tongue2: ..

Millet

can i show you my HH on moorhen .lol

sherman

like the bird pics and fly a male imprint russ/fin bird myself - are u flying the hawk from the car ? thats an impessive bag anyways so well done.

is the hawk an imprint and did it take 239 kils in its first year ?

Is the hawk pariculary big ?

Just interetsed ?

Nice one !!

Yes he is an imprint, picked him up from "Mick Kane on the 2/6/07 at 14 days, and he never left my side, he came to work every day, and was exposed to every sight and sound, he is bomb proff with every thing nothing upsets him !

all the game birds, some of the various, and the 2 wood pigeons were taken field hawking.

All the rest were out of the "window" even the rabbits !

Allot were "muggins", but he also had sum top class flights, especialy on Magpies, Blackheaded Gulls and crows, crows are the best flights of all when you can find them in the right place !, he had an awesum flight on Carrion Crow the one night, the crow twisting and turn, trying to through him, as it tryed to "rat out" in a factory, he went straight in through the roller shutter doors and killed it inside the factory, infront of the security guard. Another night he caught a crow as it tryed to rat out in a river, i was soaked to the skin getting him back that night.

No he,s not a particular big bird, he started killed at around 1 10 1/4 and went up to 1 12 1/8 when the weather went really cold, his best flying weight at the end of the summer was around 1 10 5/8, and his best weight flying Partridges and Pheasants was around 1 11 1/4, that was straight on the scales with no bells or anything other an jesses and leash, i stopped flying him with bells on, out of the "window", because stuff was getting switched on to him coming !

Field hawking i put bells on with small cable ties, and cut them of after hawking.

On the 22/2/08 he is nine months old.I had to retire him early this season has he injured his foot.

As we speak he is under artificial light, to get him to moult out quicker, so we can start again this year !

I'll never be able to repeat what i did this season, but i'll have a go try !

Sounds all good

I once killed 123 feathered head with a PR fin female all over me brit have been flying gosses most of me life. The male I have now also an imprint but 1 lb 13 flying - but he ain't seen much game as I have moved and am setting meself up to try and breed a few. Have just put a nice pair together.

So fingers crossed.

welcome to the dark side

No mate not the Darkside! suffering fools is not something alot of us have ever been able to come to terms with.

if the flights are gennine and you're having some good sport then its good and we all want to know about them! lets face it we all have the same interested at heart. But have you Daz!! you need to realise that P/R and Imprints are all the same bird but reared by different methods!! both birds when in condition have the same capabilities, the difference is with a Imprint the Manning is done in the Rearing from a downy and with the P/R birds the Manning is done when the bird is Penned, the Imprint should be pretty bomb proof to anything by this stage...

Part of the reason alot of people fail with P/R birds while on meets or in certain company is because the P/R birds gets the arse or spooked about something, the bird is otherwise perfect on the land they fly on and with the same company but when they get it in a different situation things start to go tits up, this obviousley won't happen with a Imprint....

The thing is all these problems with P/R birds is easily solved, Basically you put the time into some quality manning way before you start to train the bird then Bingo!! you have a bird for all occasions.....

Heres some pictures of my Male finish Goshawk Sherman Bred by Mick Kane 239 kills

- 2 Wood Pigeons

- 2 Jays

- 11 Various

- 6 Gulls

- 12 Crows

- 8 Rookes

- 61 Magpies

- 49 Phesants

- 58 Jackdoors

- 3 Rabbits

- 17 Grey Partridges

- 10 Red Leg Partridges

Finsh Flying on the 6th of January as he injured his foot.

Hi sherman

very good total for a young bird, i have booked a PR male from the same breeder, but not sure to go imprint, what advice could you give,

kind regards

Some people prefer parent reared,if you've got the time to spend with it manning it ,and if thats what you prefer, so be it, they have got better manners, and if you keep them hunting, there nice and quiet, if you don't get them enough kills, and they come to expect food from you they will usually start to "call".

As "Jasper" rightly said all the manning with an "imprint" is done during the rearing, from downy to fully fledged bird.

You can make a few minor mistakes along the way, but not to many, if you make a big mistake, you could pay dearly.

Someone told me years ago read the "Imprint accipiter" once, and then through it away, i disagree, read it and read it, again and again, mark the most important paragraphs with a hilight pen, if you have problems go back to the book !

The most important thing with an imprint is weight control, no food association,don't fly it to the fist, and lots and lots of hunting.

If you can read a book, i would go for the "imprint"

if only i had my camcorder last season my MHH took duck in flight and about 13 moorhen and he is P/R

AMEN!! exactly mate :clapper::thumbs:!! do you think Arnie if your Harris was Imprinted it would have made it a better efficient hunter? somehow I don't think so like others are trying to portray in previouse posts....

Some people prefer parent reared,if you've got the time to spend with it manning it ,and if thats what you prefer, so be it, they have got better manners, and if you keep them hunting, there nice and quiet, if you don't get them enough kills, and they come to expect food from you they will usually start to "call".

As "Jasper" rightly said all the manning with an "imprint" is done during the rearing, from downy to fully fledged bird.

You can make a few minor mistakes along the way, but not to many, if you make a big mistake, you could pay dearly.

Someone told me years ago read the "Imprint accipiter" once, and then through it away, i disagree, read it and read it, again and again, mark the most important paragraphs with a hilight pen, if you have problems go back to the book !

The most important thing with an imprint is weight control, no food association,don't fly it to the fist, and lots and lots of hunting.

If you can read a book, i would go for the "imprint"

Cracking post Sherman :thumbs:. a mate who is having a Gos this year asked the same question to me and I told him Imprint! mainly because he won't have the time to put the Mann hours into the manning side of a P/R bird, on the other hand I know a couple of guys on the Forum who will nail one cause they have the commitment and time. a few people think I have a big gripe about Imprints but its not the case! My gripe is when people go on Forums with some pretty daft accusations that they better Hunting and Harder to manage :hmm:, I've done a few P/R Goshawks over the years and have a good few pals who fly Imprints, I'm well aware of all the commiments to which ever way anyone chooses to rear their charge But no one will Never Ever convince me they have produced a better Hunting bird on the grounds its a Imprint, call me old school or anything but none of it will wash with me....

Everytime I pick up a P/R bird from the time it starts to feed off the fist it will be on a tireing, it will always be occupied pulling at something and then slowly Introduced to things new that would otherwise spook it, I'll never over face the birds and will carry on working with Tireing through out the days of Manning, at the end of it the bird will be Bomb proof to the stage of excepting anything, I sold a 3/4 Finn in 2000 due to a few Money problems! I spent hours with this bird making it to the Hood and obviously with tireings, the first guy I met in a layby near Leicester who wanted to buy her!! I swear to you on this the guy pulled out as he thought she was Imprinted and he obviousley wanted a P/R bird, from the time I got he rout of the box by the main road she roused and worried about nothing, the plonka finally gave me some petrol money and went away empty handed...

The female Finnish x Hungarian I have here is much the same! she is made to the Hood and a nice sensible bird. I think when people come to chose a bird it can be a hard decision but they first need to look at themselves and the time and commitment they can put into the bird, they also need to realise that a gennuine P/R bird coming out of the aviary at 10 weeks is going to be on fire big time and some seriouse quality Manning is going to be the order of the day, over spooking her and over facing her can also have some adverse effect how she turns out, all mine will be Hooded from day one....

One thing I will say is 99.9% of gennuine P/R Goshawks will only scream if left cut down and not flown, always fed in the same place at the same time!! eg: same part of the garden. some can fire up when taken if the field with a Mature Hawk in the first stages, Or like I have experienced here they have to listen to others calling in the garden while being brought into condition which is a sure fire to start most off, My Breeding Imprints call to me way past the breeding season which can be noisy to say the least before they finally quieten down

Jasper

sherman

welcome to the dark side

What's that meant to mean.. :hmm: ..

I dont mind reading genuine falconry topic's from how it's meant to be done from day's gone by where quarry was walked upon for hour's on end to secure a good flight and kill.. and if you dont like anything i say.. TOUGH.. :tongue2: ..

Millet

Don't tell me about walking after quarry for hours on end.

From the second week in october to the 6th of jan 08, the only hawking this hawk did was field hawking, at least 5 days a week and as a rule 7 days a week, after 12.30 mon tue wed and fri, thurs sat and sun start 9, 10 am till dark every time out, pheasants are thin on the groung around here, you have to hunt long and hard for them, i even flew this bird on Christmas day, i had 3 flights on Grey Partridges, you was probably on u tube

49 Pheasants

27 Partridges

2 Wood Pigeons

3 Various

81 head of quarry

When there was leafs on the trees, i was car hawking

When the leafs were of the trees, i was walking !

Guest Scottish Daz
welcome to the dark side

No mate not the Darkside! suffering fools is not something alot of us have ever been able to come to terms with.

if the flights are gennine and you're having some good sport then its good and we all want to know about them! lets face it we all have the same interested at heart. But have you Daz!! you need to realise that P/R and Imprints are all the same bird but reared by different methods!! both birds when in condition have the same capabilities, the difference is with a Imprint the Manning is done in the Rearing from a downy and with the P/R birds the Manning is done when the bird is Penned, the Imprint should be pretty bomb proof to anything by this stage...

Part of the reason alot of people fail with P/R birds while on meets or in certain company is because the P/R birds gets the arse or spooked about something, the bird is otherwise perfect on the land they fly on and with the same company but when they get it in a different situation things start to go tits up, this obviousley won't happen with a Imprint....

The thing is all these problems with P/R birds is easily solved, Basically you put the time into some quality manning way before you start to train the bird then Bingo!! you have a bird for all occasions.....

going for PR matey cant wait, then when i learn a little more about gosses, i am will to try an imprint, then i will be in a position to say which ones performs best, from what ive been told by the more experinced gos lads, you need more flying time with an imprint to keep it happy, if not then you have problems, and if you get it wrong then its too late, i have followed few of the threads on the IFF, and most of the imprints seem to need to be hunted every day,

one imprint male which 100s have seen fly this season has just been shot and killed by a pidgeon shooter, many have stated that this male called flynn was the best male goshawk they had seen fly,

wish i could have seen him fly, a sad end to a great hawk

roll on august

Say no more SD :rolleyes:! He came down and entertained us with a different Imprint a couple years back while his mate picked up a Finn male :rofl: ... They all need flying time mate to be good P/R or Imprint, good results come with fitness and fitness comes with being flown hard at quarry. when you get your Gos Daz and fly it nearly everyday at quarry you also will have a great Hawk, They're all great when fit and in fine Hunting condition, Rocket science it Isn't just time commitment and a bit of common sense....

Personaly I'm not into being held to ransom by a bird anymore! but a young lad like you in his twenties should be nailing it hands down....

Jasper

Guest Scottish Daz
Say no more SD :rolleyes:! He came down and entertained us with a different Imprint a couple years back while his mate picked up a Finn male... They all need flying time mate to be good P/R or Imprint, good results come with fitness and fitness comes with being flown hard at quarry. when you get your Gos Daz and fly it nearly everyday at quarry you also will have a great Hawk, They're all great when fit and in fine Hunting condition, Rocket science it Isn't just time commitment and a bit of common sense....

Personaly I'm not into being held to ransom by a bird anymore! but a young lad like you in his twenties should be nailing it hands down....

Jasper

thanks mate, cant wait for my first taste of goshawking.

cheers SD

welcome to the dark side

going for PR matey cant wait, then when i learn a little more about gosses, i am will to try an imprint, then i will be in a position to say which ones performs best, from what ive been told by the more experinced gos lads, you need more flying time with an imprint to keep it happy, if not then you have problems, and if you get it wrong then its too late, i have followed few of the threads on the IFF, and most of the imprints seem to need to be hunted every day,

one imprint male which 100s have seen fly this season has just been shot and killed by a pidgeon shooter, many have stated that this male called flynn was the best male goshawk they had seen fly,

roll on august

Before you go for an imprint Gos, try imprinting a Spar first, i think there easer, there more forgiving, and have much sweeter natures(can you call any accipiter sweet), and oz for oz they've more guts than a Gos, i've had all the small stuff, plus Jackdaws,magpies,partridges and even Carrion crows, with mine, and mates of mine have had gulls with there's, it will also teach you about weight control, one of the most important things about flying any bird, more so an imprint, they must be like the "Little Bears Porridge" just right ! , not to hot and not to cold.

You could fly an imprint Spar, through the summer, while your waiting for the parent reared Gos, to moult out through the summer,in his second season, if you find out it's not for you, its the easer option.

Guest Scottish Daz
welcome to the dark side

roll on august

Before you go for an imprint Gos, try imprinting a Spar first, i think there easer, there more forgiving, and have much sweeter natures(can you call any accipiter sweet), and oz for oz they've more guts than a Gos, i've had all the small stuff, plus Jackdaws,magpies,partridges and even Carrion crows, with mine, and mates of mine have had gulls with there's, it will also teach you about weight control, one of the most important things about flying any bird, more so an imprint, they must be like the "Little Bears Porridge" just right ! , not to hot and not to cold.

You could fly an imprint Spar, through the summer, while your waiting for the parent reared Gos, to moult out through the summer,in his second season, if you find out it's not for you, its the easer option.

have u flown PR gosses ?