best way to catch a pheasant

hi guys I was just trying to think of a way to catch some pheasants, I have a air rifle but I don’t see them on the ground till either Im almost standing on them and they fly off clucking or when I do see one the air rifle is the other side of the field do I was thinking is there any other way of catching them and no shot gun is out the question.

Any suggestions thanks mark

"and no shot gun is out the question".

Your words not mine.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
Guest haremuderer
y dont you just gp beating and get your self some money anda brace of pheasants

Whippeter you might be young but you talk a lot more sence than a lot of the "romantic" experts on here.

Well said, anyone who's taking and not giving in this day and age is a disgrace.

Not JMHO fact.

the hunting life is about poaching

• 5 months later...
Brandy ain't cheap, would soaking raisins in meths make the pheasants caught with it poisonous?

Thats Classic :clapper:

i'v trid with cheep wickey in corn did not & when i was drunk i used jd when i get up i was guted that i used jd ethen moor so that it did not work

Always wanted to try this... :laugh: ...Read about it in some book years ago!....Make a small paper cone, put some bait in the bottom and smear 'tacky stuff' around the inside. Then go to where you know the pheasants feed, dib a small hole to put the cone in and wait for the pheasant to take the bait. If it works the bird will stick its head in the cone for the grub and the cone will get stuck on its head...When the bird is running around blind chase and catch...simple! :laugh::laugh: ...Let me know if it works ;) ..Can't remember the book, someone else must have read it also! :laugh:

but when the cone gets stuck on its head it will still be able to fly about so wouldnt it be easier to put the cone in a tray of super glue so when it lands in it its feet get stuck then you will be able to catch it easy hahaha 9big franks minus)

Know it and used it.

It's called a 'fools cap'trap.

They used bird lime in it years ago intil it became illegal (Worse than contact adhesive).

I use double sided sticky tape.

Bird won't move cos it can't see so you walk up and pick it up.

Other benefit is that if you catch something you don't want to harm it pulls off easily only removing a loose feather or two.

Always wanted to try this... :laugh: ...Read about it in some book years ago!....Make a small paper cone, put some bait in the bottom and smear 'tacky stuff' around the inside. Then go to where you know the pheasants feed, dib a small hole to put the cone in and wait for the pheasant to take the bait. If it works the bird will stick its head in the cone for the grub and the cone will get stuck on its head...When the bird is running around blind chase and catch...simple! :laugh::laugh: ...Let me know if it works ;) ..Can't remember the book, someone else must have read it also! :laugh:

You saved me alot of typeing mike i was going to say the same as you and this method does work as a few years ago me and a few mates set out about 50 cones put abit of corn about and just sat back and waited it was fun to watch them running in to each other but we did pick about 12 birds.