best way to catch a pheasant

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rabbiteer
Do as the armed forces do :whistling: when they see a pheasant they hover over it in a helicopter and the downdraft pin's the bird to the ground,

then some one gets out and rings the birds neck as it can't fly away.......it's the best i've seen :clapper::whistling:

Not wishing to start a fight.................................. :boxing:

But your comment seems a bit far fetched...............................actually down right stupid.

I am not short of military years of service. I have one brother who is a helicopter pilot in the Army Air Corps, and another who is a Flght Engineer (Fixed Wing) in the RAF, so I think I have the experiance to back up my following comment.

WE ALL KNOW THAT LANDINGS AND TAKE OFFS ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS TIMES FOR AN AIRCRAFT ON A FLIGHT PLAN. THERE IS NO PILOT IN THE BRITISH ARMY WHO IS GOING TO RISK HIS AIRCRAFT, HIS CREW, HIMSELF OR HIS JOB FOR A 25P PHEASANT.

Not to mention that the physics of what you mention would be near impossible. To be pinned down by a down draft, an object would first have to suffer the push factor of the down draft. As this is strong enough to blow a man (me-17st) over whilst kneeling when carrying a berghan full of ECM (25kg) would show that it is not some puffey gust of wind. A feathered creature weighing a kilo would be long Fu*cked off into the distance before the Aircraft was even close enough for the big ugly squaddie to jump out and stretch it.

How ever as you say, its the best you have seen, so it must be true.................................... :hmm:

Wishing you all the best,

Rabbiteer

PS We all know the Armed Services are still teaching the wrong methods when it comes to game catching. There are few of us who are on here who wish to learn from those with greater experiance's and we fully appreciate the support that we have been given. Comments like the above do not help improve the general publics opinion of us and how we spend their money. If you are, or have been in the services you should be trying to improve our reputation and not coming up with crazy made up stories which serve to help no one.

Edited by Rabbiteer
And i bet there has been many a poacher that has cringed when a big old cock bird towers off into the black sky crowing like mad at being disturbed in his roost.... :boxing:

Good hunting JD

LOL..........That made me smile, I have had to re-new a few pairs of boxers in my time :D

oh the memories i remember climbing a tree just got me hands on him and away he went :icon_redface: sawn off 410s with a silencer used to be an handy tool :whistling:

hi guys I was just trying to think of a way to catch some pheasants, I have a air rifle but I don’t see them on the ground till either Im almost standing on them and they fly off clucking or when I do see one the air rifle is the other side of the field do I was thinking is there any other way of catching them and no shot gun is out the question.

Any suggestions thanks mark

In the early 70s i did lot of lamping around Peterborough/Huntingdon area,from late November till the end of the season you would hear guns popping away all night.Once i was gutting rabbits into a pond at Warmington three blokes walked straight into us,they were all loaded up with birds and were using a 4.10 with a large home made silencer

try using raisens with a strand of pig hair threw the centre of the raisen. it works .

what does that do?

That's another one from Danny, Champion of the World - Roal Dahl has a lot to answer for on this forum. The story goes that the hair gets the raisin stuck in the Pheasants throat - doesn't choke it but it become so peoccupied it never moves off.

No slur on nightwalker though, if he says it works I don't know any different.

However I think it's worth clarifying at this point, for any novices who might be overcome with enthusiasm, that most of these methods are probably illegal. I can't quite put my finger on the precise legislation but it will be covered somewhere between the Game Act, the Wildlife & Countryside Act and various laws on trespass.

The W&CA Part 1 section 5 effectively bans any sort of trap, snare and everything else right through to birdlime, although later gives an exemption for cages to 'catch up'.

It also has something to say on devices for night shooting.

And does a catapult count as a 'bow or crossbow' I wonder ? cos they're out too.

An interesting thread, but just so we're all clear :big_boss:

not sure if this will work for anyone else or it was just a one of for this old chap,going back years ago i was given a ferret off a old chap who lived on the edge of a estate,the game keeper used to drop off all the pheasents off that were not wanted after a shoot,he said he would rather give them to the old chap than to dig a hole and bury them,any way,the old chap fed his ferret on nothing but pheasent,the old ferret eat better than him,one night the ferret got out,the old chap decided in the morning to have a walk around to see if he could find his ferret,he walked into the wood behind his place and within walking 15 yards into the wood came across a dead pheasent,it had died from a little bite to the neck,another 30 yards he came across another,then another,by the time he had walked to the end of the wood he had around 15 pheasents,he then heard a bit of a commotion and seen a pheasent flapping about on the floor,on the back of it was his ferret,he picked the ferret up and on close inspection decided to kill the pheasent as it was a little worse for wear,he thought nothing of what had happened until it happened again,so,what you could try doing is getting a ferret,feeding it nothing but pheasents and then letting it go,but i would get one of those tracking devices myself so you could know where the ferret is,the same old chap also used to catch a few pheasents using the sticky hat method,but with a difference,he would go to a clearing in a wood,would make a load of corn cakes like we would have at a kids party,lay out a table cloth,put out a few chairs and a tape recorder,so it looked like a good place to have a party to any pheasents that happened to be strolling by,then as the party would get started and the pheasents had eat al the nuts,crisps,played musical chairs they would be tired,,they would then decide to put on there party hats which would be caked in a pasty mixture ,when they put there party hats on it would stick to there feathers round there neck,with them being so full up and tired from all the party games they would decide to just sit there and play blindbirds buff.then the old chap would walk along and let his ferret go and pick up all the pheasents,3 pages so far,lol,lets see if it makes it to 4 pages,keep hunting :drink:

Guest coney catcher99
not sure if this will work for anyone else or it was just a one of for this old chap,going back years ago i was given a ferret off a old chap who lived on the edge of a estate,the game keeper used to drop off all the pheasents off that were not wanted after a shoot,he said he would rather give them to the old chap than to dig a hole and bury them,any way,the old chap fed his ferret on nothing but pheasent,the old ferret eat better than him,one night the ferret got out,the old chap decided in the morning to have a walk around to see if he could find his ferret,he walked into the wood behind his place and within walking 15 yards into the wood came across a dead pheasent,it had died from a little bite to the neck,another 30 yards he came across another,then another,by the time he had walked to the end of the wood he had around 15 pheasents,he then heard a bit of a commotion and seen a pheasent flapping about on the floor,on the back of it was his ferret,he picked the ferret up and on close inspection decided to kill the pheasent as it was a little worse for wear,he thought nothing of what had happened until it happened again,so,what you could try doing is getting a ferret,feeding it nothing but pheasents and then letting it go,but i would get one of those tracking devices myself so you could know where the ferret is,the same old chap also used to catch a few pheasents using the sticky hat method,but with a difference,he would go to a clearing in a wood,would make a load of corn cakes like we would have at a kids party,lay out a table cloth,put out a few chairs and a tape recorder,so it looked like a good place to have a party to any pheasents that happened to be strolling by,then as the party would get started and the pheasents had eat al the nuts,crisps,played musical chairs they would be tired,,they would then decide to put on there party hats which would be caked in a pasty mixture ,when they put there party hats on it would stick to there feathers round there neck,with them being so full up and tired from all the party games they would decide to just sit there and play blindbirds buff.then the old chap would walk along and let his ferret go and pick up all the pheasents,3 pages so far,lol,lets see if it makes it to 4 pages,keep hunting :drink:

he didn look like this by any chance did he? :clapper::clapper:sfjd9.png

Edited by coney catcher99

hi guys I was just trying to think of a way to catch some pheasants, I have a air rifle but I don’t see them on the ground till either Im almost standing on them and they fly off clucking or when I do see one the air rifle is the other side of the field do I was thinking is there any other way of catching them and no shot gun is out the question.

Any suggestions thanks mark

[/quoHello , assuming you have permission to be after the pheasants ,go to you're nearest Gamekeeper(probably the one who's birds you are eying-up..Of course once they're off his patch they're not "his" anymore).He might show you how birds are caught for the laying-pens( it really is too easy)if you offer to catch- up a few hens on your patch for him .You keep the cocks.Of course if you hav'nt permission to be up to what you are suggesting why don't you post your intentions on a hunting Forum and "improve" the reputation of air-gunners and Hunters in general. If you fall into the first catagory ,Good luck..

Guest BIG FRANK
Always wanted to try this... :laugh: ...Read about it in some book years ago!....Make a small paper cone, put some bait in the bottom and smear 'tacky stuff' around the inside. Then go to where you know the pheasants feed, dib a small hole to put the cone in and wait for the pheasant to take the bait. If it works the bird will stick its head in the cone for the grub and the cone will get stuck on its head...When the bird is running around blind chase and catch...simple! :laugh::laugh: ...Let me know if it works ;) ..Can't remember the book, someone else must have read it also! :laugh:

but when the cone gets stuck on its head it will still be able to fly about so wouldnt it be easier to put the cone in a tray of super glue so when it lands in it its feet get stuck then you will be able to catch it easy hahaha 9big franks minus)