best way to catch a pheasant

your all missing the point, he has an air rifle. go and shoot them at night with the air riffle . they roost at night in the trees .

just go along and you will see them silueted against the night sky. easy to shoot

i cant remember but it may be illegal of a night or is it with a lamp.

dead right it is ilegal :laugh: its called poaching :yes: but i dont think the lad is that bothered about the morals, of weather its right or wrong, he just wants a tasty dinner, and nowt wrong with that in my book :D TOMO

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always wanted to try this... :laugh: ...Read about it in some book years ago!....Make a small paper cone, put some bait in the bottom and smear 'tacky stuff' around the inside. Then go to where you know the pheasants feed, dib a small hole to put the cone in and wait for the pheasant to take the bait. If it works the bird will stick its head in the cone for the grub and the cone will get stuck on its head...When the bird is running around blind chase and catch...simple! :laugh::laugh: ...Let me know if it works ;) ..Can't remember the book, someone else must have read it also! :laugh:

Jesus!! I read the book....tried the trick....and caught ZERO!!!!!

:wallbash:

seriously though, pheasants change their roost trees with the weather and will often spend the latter part of winter in evergreens such as thick conifers and pines, whereas early season they will roost "anywhere".

Generally speaking (though not always the case) a pheasant will roost lower on a windy night than on a still one in the tall evergreens. Even though the birds are "roosting" it doesnt mean they are alseep!!! And i bet there has been many a poacher that has cringed when a big old cock bird towers off into the black sky crowing like mad at being disturbed in his roost.... :boxing:

Shooting birds at night is illegal with artificial light, it is also illegal to shoot pheasants and other gamebirds at night., :whistling:

Good hunting JD

And i bet there has been many a poacher that has cringed when a big old cock bird towers off into the black sky crowing like mad at being disturbed in his roost.... :boxing:

Good hunting JD

LOL..........That made me smile, I have had to re-new a few pairs of boxers in my time :D

Considering I seem to spend most of my time in the van trying NOT to kill pheasants, it would seem that a slight adjustment to that avoidance strategy could result in a good bootfull of game.

It's not my personal choice as it's too easy but if your family are hungry ............

I once had one avoid the van with it's last second vertical take off only to be hit by the roof ladder. Killed it and plucked it!

Edited by zig zag wanderer

Do as the armed forces do :whistling: when they see a pheasant they hover over it in a helicopter and the downdraft pin's the bird to the ground,

then some one gets out and rings the birds neck as it can't fly away.......it's the best i've seen :clapper::whistling:

it aint that hard to catch a pheasent realy :no:

the sleeping pills thing though is a load of shit.

sounds to me like you've all read that book by the master of english poacher

jeremy irons, the king of the poachers :rolleyes::rolleyes:

oh and is dog dany