best way to catch a pheasant

hi guys I was just trying to think of a way to catch some pheasants, I have a air rifle but I don’t see them on the ground till either Im almost standing on them and they fly off clucking or when I do see one the air rifle is the other side of the field do I was thinking is there any other way of catching them and no shot gun is out the question.

Any suggestions thanks mark

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coney catcher99

use the old poacher method mate get an empty bean tin open it a little bit enough for a phesant to get his head in then thats it his heads in and he cant get it out put a few bits of corn around the tins not to much or he wont look in ur can for more :D:D

Edited by coney catcher99
Guest little_lloyd

Ive used this many times,, Great for when you want them alive for catching up etc.

If you have acsess to a Larson put him on his side so the doors are ground level ,,, Open the spring doors and use the rods right back at an angle to the corner,, Spread the grain around and put just that little bit more in the corner so your birds have to stand on the rods to get the corn.

Then you will have a few birds when you come to check,, providing you place in a good area,, for example where there feeding..

What i have used before is a little wooden pyramind cage trap design but we use larsons and mutli catch traps more.

Ive used this many times,, Great for when you want them alive for catching up etc.

If you have acsess to a Larson put him on his side so the doors are ground level ,,, Open the spring doors and use the rods right back at an angle to the corner,, Spread the grain around and put just that little bit more in the corner so your birds have to stand on the rods to get the corn.

Then you will have a few birds when you come to check,, providing you place in a good area,, for example where there feeding..

What i have used before is a little wooden pyramind cage trap design but we use larsons and mutli catch traps more.

at night with a catypult

your all missing the point, he has an air rifle. go and shoot them at night with the air riffle . they roost at night in the trees .

just go along and you will see them silueted against the night sky. easy to shoot

PICS126003.jpg

Cheers every one sleeping pills? how long will it take them to work i.e. how far away could the pheasants be and does it work with over the counter sleeping pills, and regards to shooting are they like pigeons all stay at the same tree or a dif tree each night week act

Cheers every one

Guest little_lloyd
Cheers every one sleeping pills? how long will it take them to work i.e. how far away could the pheasants be and does it work with over the counter sleeping pills, and regards to shooting are they like pigeons all stay at the same tree or a dif tree each night week act

Cheers every one

If you want to shoot them of roost,, They do most of the time stick to the same roosting areas,, But they will move if you keep visiting them at night to shoot at them,, I shot one cospe once for half a week and after that i went back most other nights for a look and they where not there :hmm: I found them in about a hundred yards out of the wood in a hawthorn hedge sat tight,...They will have an alternitive roosting spot :yes: And when there tucked up in thick hawthorns there not the easiest to spot either ;)

And they will make a slight racket when they fall :laugh:

Also if the trees are covered in ivy and lots of thich hawthorn make sure you have a nice good look around as they can be diffecult to spot.

LL :D

Gud Shooting

your all missing the point, he has an air rifle. go and shoot them at night with the air riffle . they roost at night in the trees .

just go along and you will see them silueted against the night sky. easy to shoot

i cant remember but it may be illegal of a night or is it with a lamp.

Always wanted to try this... :laugh: ...Read about it in some book years ago!....Make a small paper cone, put some bait in the bottom and smear 'tacky stuff' around the inside. Then go to where you know the pheasants feed, dib a small hole to put the cone in and wait for the pheasant to take the bait. If it works the bird will stick its head in the cone for the grub and the cone will get stuck on its head...When the bird is running around blind chase and catch...simple! :laugh::laugh: ...Let me know if it works ;) ..Can't remember the book, someone else must have read it also! :laugh: