Hello all,

Feel free to have a look at WWW.xosha.eu for some South African bushpig hunting with hounds.

We rarely use catch dogs but with the rising popularity of the Dogo Argentina that is sure to change.

Nice site, do you fancy trading a small game hunting holiday for a beach holiday in Zanzibar by any chance? :whistling:

Hi African, I have long been a fan of these French hounds and looked for breeders in Australia, often wondered how they would be on pigs, thanks for sharing.

:thumbs:

The Gascogny hounds are super to hunt over - they have drive, endless courage and will spend hours baying a boar.The scenting capabilities are excellent which means you don't have to hunt only fresh track or by sight - but they are slow to mature and you only really start to get the best from these hounds at the age of about 3yrs.They can however hunt fully to the age of 12+.

Depending on training, injury is seldom.The voices add so much to a hunt!

They have good feet and are easy to feed and kennel - can keep many togethur with minimal politics/fighting.

Once introduced to the scent of pigs - all the genetic switches get turned on and they become focussed, honest hunters.

If you are interested in importing some to Aus I will be happy to help.

check WWW.clubbleugascogne.free.fr

hey African, I had a friend go over to south africa not to long ago called peter from pero pellea corbodes, he took with him 2 dogos 1 male 1 female for his friend, do you know him? he had a great time and i think they caught 16 bushpigs, hopefully one day ill get there and have a great time.

Edited by workindogz
hey African, I had a friend go over to south africa not to long ago called peter from pero pellea corbodes, he took with him 2 dogos 1 male 1 female for his friend, do you know him? he had a great time and i think they caught 16 bushpigs, hopefully one day ill get there and have a great time.

Hi workindogz,

I do not know Peter but viewed his site late last year with the report of his SA trip.He stayed with a previous associate of mine -Theunis Botha.He hunted over several of my dogs which I sold to Theunis in Nov 2006.3 females are captured in the photos namely -Lola,Tina and Flea.Kimba,Buster,Ranger,Burner and Spider are in the Leopard pack which he runs.

Good dogs - deeply missed.

Bushpig hunting in SA is superb and you should definately make the trip.

do you hunt Dogo's aswell?

:hmm:

Zanzibar sounds like a great beach holiday but not currently on a 'wish list'

If you plan to come to SA anytime give me some notice and you're welcome to join in the training hunts.

Cheers mate, will do! :thumbs:

i have a house in Zanzibar and have been between there and here for the past few years with the odd trip to Zim or

Moz. i think i will be in the UK for a while now though but i would love to see what you do on my next trip. Same goes if your ever in the UK.

Happy Hunting!

Seeing the sticker of the Club de Bleu de Gascogne made my day!

That is class man, using the hounds of the Languedoc in Africa!

L

Howzit Lennard,

Your reference to Languedoc sent me on a whole new road of discovery - I had not heard of the Gascogny hounds being refered to as this before and found new info through a google search - Baie Dankie Meneer.

I see you are based in Netherlands - my father was born in Rotterdam and my Grandfather served as a sailor on the OranjeFontein during the war.Thats how my family found SA.