Thanks juckler123 will get the garlic and brewers yeast and try it she has done the course of ivomec jabs not able to put up pics yet but she has a lot ot hair loss on her face her 4 legs under her belly and chest she also has sores and her skin is red i got a bottle of benzyl benzoate yestreday abd will try that

It cant hurt using benzo as deomedetic dont usually have sores or much redness i found vets useless when it came to mange i was taking them in off of a travelers site and the dogs had allsorts of things living on them often more than one type of mite.

With the benzo cover as much of the dog as possible but not all of it better to do one half in the morning and the other half in the evening leave it on for three days then shampoo off and repeat a total of three times it pays to be thorough.

The aludex shampoo is good if its definitely deomedetic but i found it a bit much on the dogs.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i had demodeptic mange in one of my bull terriers used benzo on mine and nu stock had no problems after the initial out break

I have stumbled across this thread and read it with interest. I wonder if I relay my problem someone may be kind enough to give me some advice or the benefit of their experience?

We have just taken charge of a female cocker spaniel, believed to be about 3 years old. She is a former breeding bitch from a puppy farm and has not been well cared for.

We got her just under two weeks ago. She came complete with fleas, worms, ear infection, sore eye and what we (and vet) believes is demodectic mange. The worst affected areas are around her neck, ears and down her chest.

We have treated her twice now with a prescribed shampoo followed by Aludex. My concern is that she is still scratching like crazy, her skin is red and so sore. I just want to be able to give her some relief. Has anyone any advice on anything that might calm the itching whilst all the other stuff takes time to solve the problem?

We have used benzyl benzoate in the past (on another cocker) for a skin allergy. Do you think it would be overloading her to use that as well as all the other stuff?

Thanks to anyone that can offer help.

Guest missymoo
I have stumbled across this thread and read it with interest. I wonder if I relay my problem someone may be kind enough to give me some advice or the benefit of their experience?

We have just taken charge of a female cocker spaniel, believed to be about 3 years old. She is a former breeding bitch from a puppy farm and has not been well cared for.

We got her just under two weeks ago. She came complete with fleas, worms, ear infection, sore eye and what we (and vet) believes is demodectic mange. The worst affected areas are around her neck, ears and down her chest.

We have treated her twice now with a prescribed shampoo followed by Aludex. My concern is that she is still scratching like crazy, her skin is red and so sore. I just want to be able to give her some relief. Has anyone any advice on anything that might calm the itching whilst all the other stuff takes time to solve the problem?

We have used benzyl benzoate in the past (on another cocker) for a skin allergy. Do you think it would be overloading her to use that as well as all the other stuff?

Thanks to anyone that can offer help.

Admire you for taking her in .Possibly will be overloading I presume youve asked the Vet ?We have used coconut butter oil before to itchy areas after one of our got walking dandruff its a type of mite which causes a severe skin irratation,We used the medicated shampoos though killing the mite s seemed to cause more irritationtion by skin looses oils which didnt stop bitch itching Our bitch had very dry scaly skin ,causing her to scartchin even with head collar on ,ask the vet can the oil can be used,i certainly gave ours some relief..BUT PLEASE check with your vet ..

Edited by missymoo
Guest ROOSTER

probably a secondery infection your vet should put your dog on another course of antbiotics,ceporex is an excellent antibiotic for skin infections and try it for a month as a lot of vets use a broad spectrum anti like synulox for two weeks and it just doesnt do if the infections really got a hold and is galloping on dont treat with anything other than a mild cooling shampoo and give it time to work rather than overload the skin you wont need anything else such as steroids that if i'm correct and its a secondery infection, but remember your vet should know best.

Thank you both. You are really saying what I thought. You know how it is when you think you have done everything but just feel frustrated because it isn't enough?! I won't use anything else withount a further consult with the vet.

She had an antibiotic injection the day after we got her and is now on Metacam which is to help inflammation. We were advised to put her on really good quality dried food.

We have been after a rescue cocker for a while ( don't do puppies anymore) and having seen her just could not walk away from her. She goes well with our two ex racing greyhounds ~ also rehomed from kennels after demise of racing career. I don't have a natural affinity with small dogs but she has already wormed (no pun intended) her way into my affections.

I owe my husband after a lifetime of GSDs and hounds!

Hi Firenze

Good on you for taking the bitch on n that condition in the first place :clapper:

For a start id not get her on dried food that can contribute to any skin troubles oily fish and meat and biscuits and some conditioning tablets would be much better.

Without seeing the bitch its hard to diagnose what skin disorder she might have however you say she is itching a lot so i presume shes red and sore if so its probably not deomedetic but more than like sarcoptic mange or a secondary skin infection if you can id get some benzyl benzoate and apply it to the affected areas if there is an improvement i would then treat the bitch fully with BB.

I gave up with vets and skin disorders years ago after being told times many mange on the dogs id took in off the travellers sites was incurable ive yet to have a dog that hasnt been cured they arent the best at treating things like that and treatment is very costly.

Benzo or qualada will shift all but deomedetic and will also promote fur growth so for what it costs it cant hurt to do her and see how you go :thumbs:

I share concern about vets. I have recently moved county so am having to find a vet I can trust. I used to have a lovely country vet who was brilliant. I am having to feel my way around here.

I can see the logic of oily fish. We put her on a good quality (ie very expensive) puppy food at the suggestion of the vets surgery. My greyhounds have been on dried food for years and it really suits their delicate tummies. I think I will compromise and add fish to the diet.

The itching isn't typical of demodectic but the spread is not at all like sarcoptic. I think she is just so run down, especially having been bred from (probably quite irresponsibly if her condition is anything to go by) and her immune system is lowered and leaving her vulnerable to all sorts.

It's kind of anyone to say we did a good thing in taking her on, but I feel a bit guilty about taking praise for it. I am sure that she is going to be a super little dog and brighten our lives. Like I said on the previous post I am really a fan of larger breeds. My husband had a cocker when we first met and has been hankering after another for literally years now. I'm not used to littlies that run around your feet. I keep falling over her!

The people deserving praise are the ones running the charities that take on what are really the responsibilities of unscrupulous people who view and treat dogs as commodities and wash their hands once there is no longer a profit to be had.

Sorry to get on my soapbox but I used to work with a mongrel rescue organisation and have seen things that would turn your stomach. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti racing, breeding or anything of the sort. Just think being fair is not too much to expect.

Hope nobody will take offence at any of my rant!

we had a lakie with shocking demodectic mange, found that advocate helps with sarcoptic but not demodectic, but aludex was excellent, and a shampoo called Selsun which you can get from chemist helped ease the itching it is for chronic scalp conditions in humans and does seem to ease the problem. hope this helps.

if you are going to use the advocate spot on treatment give the dog a bath with the shampoo first then let it dry then treat it as the dog shouldn't be bathed for a couple of weeks after doing the spot on to allow it maximum time to absorb into the skin system.

firenze - if you let people on here know which county you're in I'm sure someone will recommend a good vet.

Edited by bigbird

Thank you for the replies. I am filing all this information away.

That's a simple but brilliant idea about the vet ~ why didn't I think of that!

I am in Canterbury, so if anyone knows of a good vet please let me know ~ preferably one with a receptionist that's been trained in customer service. The one I am using at the moment has a bizarre woman reminiscent of Atilla the Hun. Ooh here's a smilie that reminds me of her :angry:

• 9 months later...
Thank you for the replies. I am filing all this information away.

That's a simple but brilliant idea about the vet ~ why didn't I think of that!

I am in Canterbury, so if anyone knows of a good vet please let me know ~ preferably one with a receptionist that's been trained in customer service. The one I am using at the moment has a bizarre woman reminiscent of Atilla the Hun. Ooh here's a smilie that reminds me of her :angry:

Just read this with interest.

My bitches coat has been thining for about 3 months now i thought it was due to her having her 1st season in June. She is at present 14 months old. The hair is not coming out in clumps but the coat tends to be thining all over.

Somebody said today they thought it could be demodex, I have an appt at the vets for Monday. She has no itching or sore red patches, just wondering what you guys think.

In these pics you can see how thin her hair is around her back legs and over her rib area.

e4712277.jpg

0bafffc5.jpg

Just read this with interest.

My bitches coat has been thining for about 3 months now i thought it was due to her having her 1st season in June. She is at present 14 months old. The hair is not coming out in clumps but the coat tends to be thining all over.

Somebody said today they thought it could be demodex, I have an appt at the vets for Monday. She has no itching or sore red patches, just wondering what you guys think.

In these pics you can see how thin her hair is around her back legs and over her rib area.

e4712277.jpg

0bafffc5.jpg

Difficult to see from the photos but I woul be surprised if this was mange, if she has no sores or irritation. Mange typically leads to the skin being red and imflamed where the hair is being lost, both from the parasites that are chomping away under the skin and scratching and biting the dog is doing because of the irritation.

Having said that I don't know what could be causing the thinning. Is she stressed at all? I have had greyhounds that have gone very thin haired on the back legs but has then thickened up again without us taking any action, But again there was no irritation or scratching with it.

Hope someone can come up with some suggestions.

I was trying to think if she had been stressed in any way but this bitch has the life of riley lol.

Not knowing much about demodex i wasnt sure if it itched or not. I have been reading up a lot about it today though.

Dont like to think of it being demodex, but if it is we will have to deal with it. Im just worried one day soon she will be completly bald, hence the appointment at the vets monday.