I got a lurcher bitch for my young lad about 6 or 7 weeks ago 3/4 greyhound 1/4 whippet she was 5 months old she was a little shy after about a week or so she developed a some hair loss under her chin so I took her to my vet she gave her a injection of Ivomec she said Id have to bring her back for another 3 injections once a week and this should clear it up but it only got worse so last week she took 3 skin samples off the bitch and sent them away for testing the result came back that it was a severe case of demodectic mange she said its not looking good for the bitch as the ivomec is the strongest products she can use to fight demodectic mange she said there is realy only 2 more treatments we can try so she gave me a tub of advocate to apply to the skinon the back of her neck and 3 tablets to give her 1 a week for 3 weeks also antibotic tablets 1 tablet twice a day there is one moer treatment she can try if that does not workand if that does not work we may have to put her to sleep have any of you got any ideas that might work thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i had demodeptic mange in one of my bull terriers used benzo on mine and nu stock had no problems after the initial out break

when you use ivermec you should bath the dog in tic tac sheep deep in conjuction with the ivermec...it has always worked for me.....NEVER EVER USE IVERMEC ON COLLIE DOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT KILLS THEM WITHIN A COUPLE OF HOURS!!!!!!! THEY DONT HAVE THE RIGHT ENZIMES TO DEAL WITH THIS DRUG........when the mange is under control use flowers of sulphate in a little lard to ecourage the hair to grow back.....

Heres a helpful link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demodectic_mange

Here is a bitch that had a bad allergic reaction to the mange. It is a hereditary ailment.

She should become immune within the next year. I see no reason to put a dog down with demodectic mange.

thanks for that info my bitch is no where near as bad as her is it demodectic mange that she has now the vet did tell me that it is not contageous to other dogs or people that all dogs have it as it is a mite that is deep in the hair folical and if a dog has a low immune system they cant fight to keep it under control she said its not like other types of mange

when you use ivermec you should bath the dog in tic tac sheep deep in conjuction with the ivermec...it has always worked for me.....NEVER EVER USE IVERMEC ON COLLIE DOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT KILLS THEM WITHIN A COUPLE OF HOURS!!!!!!! THEY DONT HAVE THE RIGHT ENZIMES TO DEAL WITH THIS DRUG........when the mange is under control use flowers of sulphate in a little lard to ecourage the hair to grow back.....

ok thanks but that is exactly what the vet told me not to do while she was on the ivomac not to bath her in any thing

Edited by connie

Hi Connie.

cúagusgiorraí is correct, it is inherited, in fact every dog born had the demodex mite. However it is more apparent in pups, and will often flare up in times of illness and stress in the dogs life.

If you have only recently had the dog, this could be the reason, also she is of the right age. Yes it does take a long time, and it may come back at some point, but certainly not always and most dogs are 100% agterwards. Dogs that have shown evident Demodex mange should not be bred from either.

Dawn.

my brother-in-law is a vet round hear and he has advised to use ivermec and tic tac sheep dip in conjunction when treating severe cases of mange..both my bull terriers had it and only had fur on the tips of there tails.....no vet should really be giving it to dogs as it is only cleared for cows and if ivermec isnt working on your dog on its own what else can you do????

Ivomec will work in certain breeds but one jab is nothing to go by id wait till youve had the course in the meantime as much quality food a garlic capsule and a good tonic like brewers yeast will help get the dogs immune system stronger to fight it on its own.

If its not too bad dont worry all the dogs ive had with it have beaten it with age.

Id say it was definitely hereditary and worse in black dogs not something youd want in a line as it must drag them down the treatment definitely does.

Dogs that have shown evident Demodex mange should not be bred from either.

Dawn.

But if all dogs have it Dawn surely all dogs are liable to show it in times of stress or hard times.....???? If that were the case then no dogs would be bred from...???

Am i missing something ??

All dogs inherit the mite at birth Nikey, its only immune supressed animals that will develop symptoms. When this is the case, the dog is likely to pass on immune supressed puppies and so it goes on. It isnt the disease itself that is inherited as all dogs have the capability of developing it, and have the mite present at birth, its the immune supressed animals, that may have serious health issues present that will pass those diseases on to their offspring. In many cases these dogs may be healthy for many years, but being bred from it will pass on its underlying problems, that may not be apparent to the dog itself for many years to come. However, you are in fact breeding a line of animals with these conditions within them.

This may word it better than me. :)

http://www.thedogscene.co.uk/details/demod...mange-1095.html

This Q and A is good too.

http://www.gsdhelp.info/paras/demodex.html

Ivomec will work in certain breeds but one jab is nothing to go by id wait till youve had the course in the meantime as much quality food a garlic capsule and a good tonic like brewers yeast will help get the dogs immune system stronger to fight it on its own.

If its not too bad dont worry all the dogs ive had with it have beaten it with age.

Id say it was definitely hereditary and worse in black dogs not something youd want in a line as it must drag them down the treatment definitely does.

Thanks juckler123 will get the garlic and brewers yeast and try it she has done the course of ivomec jabs not able to put up pics yet but she has a lot ot hair loss on her face her 4 legs under her belly and chest she also has sores and her skin is red i got a bottle of benzyl benzoate yestreday abd will try that

Guest ROOSTER

as you already know its inherited and ivomec is very good but not licensed for dogs their are now a few treatments for demodec where as ten years ago they said it couldnt be treated one of the most successful is aludex you shampo the dog with it and let it dry itself usually very successful the advocate is a spot on and not a tub but a pipet you get three in a pack it has fair results but its also a wormer and takes care of more parasites and it can take a few tratments so work benzol bezonate is more suited to sarcoptic mange rather than demodec