Flight pond info

Can anybody recommend a book or website with info on setting up a flight pond for ducks. A farm that I ferret on has 2 ponds and I have permission to shoot the smaller of the 2. The pond is very small, only maybe 20ft by 40ft but it already attracts a few mallard. It used to get shot over a few years ago but guy who fed it has left the farm.

Any recommendations from members as reguards planting trees, cover, feeding throughout the year, etc would be most appreciated.

Thaks in advance,

Ian.

Can anybody recommend a book or website with info on setting up a flight pond for ducks. A farm that I ferret on has 2 ponds and I have permission to shoot the smaller of the 2. The pond is very small, only maybe 20ft by 40ft but it already attracts a few mallard. It used to get shot over a few years ago but guy who fed it has left the farm.

Any recommendations from members as reguards planting trees, cover, feeding throughout the year, etc would be most appreciated.

Thaks in advance,

Ian.

next season start to feed it at the begining of august ,................it will have duck on it then , only shoot it once a fortnight , but feed everday ,.....

hi ian, we have 7 ponds on our farm that im a keeper on, if the ducks are already flighting into it, then i wouldnt change anything ,(FEEDING) i start feeding in mid august barley on some and wheat on others. then shoot about the second or third week in september through till about 3rd week in november. so we give it time to settle ready for the pheasants shoots to start then i start feeding 4 of them after christmas on the out skirts of our shoot because we get alot of teal with them being so close to the marshes (HIDES) put them well up in advance so the ducks get used to them, we dont shoot them every week only about once a fortnight as a rule or if there is alot of duck flighting in to the pond, i always watch the ponds two nights on the trot before we shoot so i roughly know what is going in on the ponds . i also watch the weather for when we are ready to shoot i like a rough wet and windy night to shoot and i always make the guns pack up shooting before the last of the ducks come in.

i hope this of help to you

for feed find a local chippy of patatoe supplier and ask for the skins, duck love them, only put down what they will eat as the will go bad give em a day or so, dont feed them purely on them tho, give barly mostly if you can if not wheat will do.

Regards

Aaron

for feed find a local chippy of patatoe supplier and ask for the skins, duck love them, only put down what they will eat as the will go bad give em a day or so, dont feed them purely on them tho, give barly mostly if you can if not wheat will do.

Regards

Aaron

Yes or if a farmer has had a bad potato season and has some mush rotting ones all the better ,as the other posters have said just feed the flash and they well come...

• 1 month later...

Good advice so far, only thing I would add Ian is only to feed enough so that there is none left in the morning, you want the birds to come in the evening but if there is too much feed, they will stay on the pond all day and then clear off to another pond in the evenings. Also only feed to depth less than the top of your wellies, otherwise it may be too deep for the dabbling ducks. We use barley as our birds seem to prefer it over wheat, if you plan to use an auto feeder the sooner you get it in situ the better as this will give the birds the most time to get used to it. Hope this helps a bit, let us know how you get on.

Cheers, TT.

Good advice so far, only thing I would add Ian is only to feed enough so that there is none left in the morning, you want the birds to come in the evening but if there is too much feed, they will stay on the pond all day and then clear off to another pond in the evenings. Also only feed to depth less than the top of your wellies, otherwise it may be too deep for the dabbling ducks. We use barley as our birds seem to prefer it over wheat, if you plan to use an auto feeder the sooner you get it in situ the better as this will give the birds the most time to get used to it. Hope this helps a bit, let us know how you get on.

Cheers, TT.