How long after a bitch has pups does she come into season??

Guest davieboy

I have just rehomed a Springer that had just had a litter, and i took her out today and my mates dog was paying her a bit too much attention and trying to climb on. :boogie:

Any idea why this is, the lead stayed on just incase!!!

Please get your facts straight before giving out wrong information!

Bitches DO NOT come straight into season after giving birth: horses and other herbivores yes, but not dogs! A prey animal's gestation period is far shorter than a herbivore which carries its young for a long time in order for the new born to be sufficiently developed to get straight to its feet and run from a predator minutes after it is born.

Wolves, for example, being similar to dogs, carry their young for 9 weeks, the young are then born helpless and blind, and need many months feeding and caring for by the parents until they are well grown enough to hunt for themselves or join in a hunt. Think about it! It would not be practical for a bitch to come into season again whilst she was still rearing pups. Most wild canines only cycle yearly, meaning that they will only breed once a year.

Dogs have changed due to man's intervention and often come into season twice a year and most bitches will follow their normal cycle after giving birth. If the bitch is a 6 monthly bitch I would normally say that she would come in season again about 6 months after having given birth, though in my experience with working dogs as opposed to show/pedigree bitches, that season can be delayed somewhat.

Most of my bitches come into season only when their pups have reached about 8 months of age.

As far as male dogs being interested in the bitch which has recently whelped, that is typical behaviour as she obviously smells very different at this time. Most male domestic dogs wouldn't normally get the opportunity to smell a recently whelped bitch, unlike wolves in the wild, so they are confusing her recent whelping with being in season as her hormones will be influencing her smell.

• Like 1

Bitches DO NOT come straight into season after giving birth: horses and other herbivores yes, but not dogs! A prey animal's gestation period is far shorter than a herbivore which carries its young for a long time in order for the new born to be sufficiently developed to get straight to its feet and run from a predator minutes after it is born.

Wolves, for example, being similar to dogs, carry their young for 9 weeks, the young are then born helpless and blind, and need many months feeding and caring for by the parents until they are well grown enough to hunt for themselves or join in a hunt. Think about it! It would not be practical for a bitch to come into season again whilst she was still rearing pups. Most wild canines only cycle yearly, meaning that they will only breed once a year.

Dogs have changed due to man's intervention and often come into season twice a year and most bitches will follow their normal cycle after giving birth. If the bitch is a 6 monthly bitch I would normally say that she would come in season again about 6 months after having given birth, though in my experience with working dogs as opposed to show/pedigree bitches, that season can be delayed somewhat.

Most of my bitches come into season only when their pups have reached about 8 months of age.

As far as male dogs being interested in the bitch which has recently whelped, that is typical behaviour as she obviously smells very different at this time. Most male domestic dogs wouldn't normally get the opportunity to smell a recently whelped bitch, unlike wolves in the wild, so they are confusing her recent whelping with being in season as her hormones will be influencing her smell.

yep :boogie:

Spot on Skycat. :yes: I sold a mate of mine called me a few weeks ago puzzled at the fact his bitch had come into season just 6 weeks after whelping a litter. :no: He even used to bloody discharge coming out her back end as proof.

Another friend bred a bitch and kept 3 pups back, his yard is run with a 'let them get on with it' frame of mind and the weaned naturaly by mum who was fed on raw food. Not my idea of how to raise a good litter but each to their own ... the pups were ran on with mum and his other dogs untill 10 months when they started going coursing and it was then when the bitch had a show and began a cycle. I believe, feel free to correct me if im wrong, this is because the pups where still highly dependent to her.

Ant

Spot on Skycat. :yes: I sold a mate of mine called me a few weeks ago puzzled at the fact his bitch had come into season just 6 weeks after whelping a litter. :no: He even used to bloody discharge coming out her back end as proof.

Ant

Some bitches do discharge for as many as 6 weeks after giving birth: it is not usual, but in older bitches or if there has been a difficult labour the area where the embryos have been attached to the uterus wall can take a long time to heal. Sometimes there can even be an infection: normally a cause for immediate concern, though some bitches are obviously tough as old boots and able to get over it themselves due to a strong immune system. Just another reason not to work a bitch hard for at least 3-4 months after she has whelped: quite apart from the fact that the poor thing wouldn't be fit anyway.

yes get your facts rights after breeding bitches at least 3 ayear coz of my job for the last 10 years you will find that some bitches will come into season six weeks after they have giving birth.

So I was wrong! But did I present my post as a fact? I went out of my way to make it clear it was just a thought. I have heard of dogs coming into season soon after giving birth. Dogs are like any other animal, there are always exeptions to the rule.

yes get your facts rights after breeding bitches at least 3 ayear coz of my job for the last 10 years you will find that some bitches will come into season six weeks after they have giving birth.

Interesting: what sort of dogs are they? Having been involved with breeding lurchers and terriers for over 25 years I have never come across this yet, though my vet tells me it is not unheard of with some pure breeds, which I haven't any experience with personally. I'd be interested to hear what type or types of dogs theses are. Are they in a large breeding only kennel set up or are they working dogs?

• 13 years later...

Ok so my girl is a regular 6 month cycle. She came into season in April and was successfully bred on 30 April.

Puppies arrived 1 July and were fully weaned at 6 weeks. Left for their new homes at the end of August.

My girl has not come into season again yet. I thought she may do end of October ( 6 months after her last season) but after reading the comments I think im wrong.

Anyone advise me of when her next season is likely to be please?