DIGITAL NIGHT VISION TEST

RICHIE.

that night vision bug is hard to shake off.yours looks like a winner!

iv got an ARCHER NIGHT SIGHT same method as yours it attaches to the back of a scope.mines on aTIKKA in 17REM. iv finally got to grips with it and on first night out proper [lots of practice on bunnies] on charlie i bagged 2 dogs and a vixen.

i missed one of the dogs with the first shot it ran off 40 yds stopped dead in its tracks and started hunting the ground gave it a quick squeek it stood front on to me 90 yds away didnt miss second time.i realised it wasnt too spooked because it wasnt lamped.any way its taken 6 more foxes and last night a big fu**ing feral cat thats been killing owt it can get near on a game shoot i do the foxing for.

keep us posted on your project

garyw

Richie, I've recently bought a cobra merlin with a 90mw laser illuminator from Geoffrey at night vision supplies Ltd. I payed the new price of £485 which I don't think he has updated on his website yet.

I've only been out with it a couple of times so far, once around the field which borders my garden and once ratting at a local farm.

Around the back field I got a couple of rabbits the first at 35 yards stone dead, the second was a miss first time but you can see where the pellet hits with the infra red reflecting back off it, so up a few inches and the second shot was a good one :thumbs: . No wonder the first shot missed though as it was paced out at 52 yards and I had no idea it was that far, as I find it hard to judge distances with it in the dark, which isn't as much of a problem with a rimmy flying flatter but with an air rifle pellet dropping as it does it is an issue.

Second time out with it ratting at a local farm, where it has proved to be worth its weight in gold :notworthy: In and around the farm buildings I just had the built in illuminator on as it was way too bright with the laser.

My only problem with the unit is the laser mounting bracket, which doesn't hold the laser in a fixed position, so when I walk with the gun at my side I move the laser off aim, which means looking through the unit and repositioning the laser whilst holding the gun. It seems mine's a different laser than in your photos where mine mounts in the middle and pivots around like a ball joint which doesn't seem to tighten up :no: . I'll have to see what Geoffrey says about the mounting and if he does a different one.

Let us know how you go on with the ranger add on, should be a good unit for that price :thumbs:

Pic 1 - The rapid with Cobra merlin attached

post-10726-1199277117_thumb.jpg

Pic 2 - A close up of the unit (see the different laser mount)

post-10726-1199277106_thumb.jpg

as in a archer starlight ? say no more... ;) lamp shy quarry doesnt exist no more...

richie

Richie you say that, but one of the jobs i finished off using the Starlight noticed the rabbits were deffinetly fidgety once the illuminator was on them, i think the heavier they are lamped the easier they pick up on the NV. Having said that as yet i have not seen one bolt immediatly like a previously lamped rabbit will, usually they make their way towards cover and allow a shot before hopping in to the burrow/ hedge.

• 1 month later...
hi, just a quick question, i have bought a nvmt and made my own adaptor for my scope, but you say you got an adaptor for £40, where did you get this from? my adaptor isnt great so i want a propper 1

cheers

Dan

From uttings.com:

Yukon NVMT Night Adaptor for Optical Riflescope

Fits NVMT1 (not WP model) and NVMT 4.

Complete with 100mW IR Illuminator

Combined with the NVMT 1 (2x24) or NVMT 4 (1x24), the NVMT Night Adapter for Optical Riflescope allows use of soft air guns with a day optical riflescope for night shooting. The reticle of the riflescope is perfect for aiming. The adapter comes equipped with reducing rings to affix the night vision device onto day riflescope and provides the benefit of various eyepiece diameters. To increase brightness of the image and range of shooting, an IR flashlight is also included. With the help of the adapter the night vision device is placed in front of the riflescope's eyepiece. The reticle of the riflescope is used for aiming. This kit is intended for recreational shooting in night conditions or night sports shooting, small game hunting (rats, rabbits, crows etc.) using airguns. This combination is intended for use with airguns only. (The use of the kit for shooting with rifled or smooth-bore weapons may cause serious injury).

NVMT Night Adaptor for Optical Riflescope £89.95

• 1 month later...

Hi Theobenmike,

i bought the laser scope mount from geoffrey so the laser can be mounted on the scope and not like you have got it on the actually night sight.

It works well there and i don't really know its there.

Safe shooting

Commando