Making purse nets

Hob&Jill

I know this longnetting but I thought I would ask in here...

I have decided it is about time I learnt to knit nets. Purse nets to start and maybe oneday a longnet..

I would like to make about 25 4 ft hemp nets to start.

What do I need to get started? If someone could give me a list of what I need to start and where to get it that would be great...

I realise that you can get kits and that off ebay but I am not really keen on them, they tend to be made up of the shittyest cheap componants.

ATB,

H&J :victory:

I realise that you can get kits and that off ebay but I am not really keen on them, they tend to be made up of the shittyest cheap componants.

most material is much of a muchness mate :yes: .... its generally comes from the same place just through different distributors.... get a decent needle and meshboard...

YIS

BB

The first set of nets i made where with a purse net kits which makes about 12 nets, that was sometime back mind. Start with hemp because you don't have to double knot it which make life alot easier when your starting out.

The kit comes with instructions but i am sure there will be already some good threads on here to start. I would use the kit to start because you will make some really crap nets in the beginning and once you are making nets that you are happy with start sourcing you materials.

Top tip, then to buy net making materials in bulk so that you are using the same materials all the time. Once again this is just me. I hate it when stuff changes ie rings, hemp and of course pegs.

Bought some more fibre glass poles from the same supplier for a new quickset and all the tops are different to the ones i us already. :wallbash:

Regards Roger

Edited by R_Oldroyd

My advice would be to get your board and your needles, and then practice with the shittiest, cheapest material first! Your first few nets you'll not want to use anyway (unless you have a real natural knitting talent) so why waste a good spool of hemp.

Oh, and if you go for a nylon that needs double knotting then that will give you double the practice per net ;)

Crow

I know this longnetting but I thought I would ask in here...

I have decided it is about time I learnt to knit nets. Purse nets to start and maybe oneday a longnet..

I would like to make about 25 4 ft hemp nets to start.

What do I need to get started? If someone could give me a list of what I need to start and where to get it that would be great...

ATB,

H&J :victory:

Get a countrymans weekly paper. You'll see ads for KP&S nets Bridport Nets etc. Give any of them a ring and explain your needs, and they'll bend over backwards to help. If I remember correctly, Bridport nets was the cheapest for 4ply hemp. You'll need a needle a mesh gauge some chrome or stainless steel rings, and some nylon braid for your slip chord. You can make pegs from ash or hazel. Give them a ring and they'll sort you out. Happy knitting :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone make there purse net out of nylon or only use it only for the slip cord? what size cord are people using for the slip cords??? anyway here are my first 2 nets made. 2 different types, will have to give both a good run before i choose which one to start make more of.

post-13737-1200576293_thumb.jpg

post-13737-1200576320_thumb.jpg

Edited by gav000
  • 1 year later...
has anyone ever tried boiling nets made from nylon to shrink it slightly, therefore tightening the knot, making it unnecessary to double knot????

do a search "CARRICK BEND" single knot ideal for all materials :thumbs:

Knew an old boy used to soak hemp nets and dry them with a brick hanging on the bottom of them to tighten knots but never bothered myself

Y.I.S Leeview

Does anyone make there purse net out of nylon or only use it only for the slip cord? what size cord are people using for the slip cords??? anyway here are my first 2 nets made. 2 different types, will have to give both a good run before i choose which one to start make more of.

Have you got the drawstring fixed to the bottom net ring? If so does it hold well enough when used?