Fast Dogs for hard ground

On 24 May 2018 at 20:06, myersbg said:

Not that old chestnut again, every one kows northern bunnies will beat the brains out of southern ones

Theme in the midlands beat both north and south hands down ran em  from the outer islands down ta the cliffs  yeah midland winter wheat .atb bill 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was born in a hospital don’t make a fecking doctor though does it ?

Are you talking north or south australia? In britain it's a well known fact than northern rabbits are slower than southern rabbits ?

The truth is the further north the easier the rabbit! By the time you get to Scotland they throw themselves at the feet of anyone wearing camo! That's why they've no rabbits in the Artic....

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Black neck said:

What's this north South rabbit lark then?

its down to the amount of foxes. Big fat care free northern rabbits, opposed to fast nimble, fox avoiding southern rabbits.

well that's what the geezer down the pub told me ?

• Haha 2

I don't know about the north south debate but rabbits were brought here 200years ago and that's a fair few generations to evolve, pigs turn feral in one generation,if a domestic pig escapes it will turn wild very quickly even grow more hair and larger tusks.We had a bush fire years ago in NSW,I won't say where,but my mate on the fire brigade said he was horrified by the semi feral people that were driven out of their bush homes.They had little contact with the outside world.Hard to believe in contemporary Australia, but true.Sorry a bit off subject.

That's what I'm talking about, I hunt mostly steep rocky hills, the rabbits are lean and leggy.I once cleared an isolated pocket of rabbits in a large country garden,they were the size of average guinea pigs.I felt a bit slack destroying them,but they were wrecking the place.

On 24/05/2018 at 08:52, Aussie Whip said:

The dogs we have here in oz for rabbits are usually super quick dogs with very tough feet to handle the iron hard ground,usually at least 3/4 sight hound.I'm thinking the rabbits here are faster than in the UK,some places more hare like living above ground.Do people think there''s any truth in this or are rabbits the same everywhere.

Do many use the saluki types over there? Bit bigger than the whippet x's, mine is 26" but suprisingly agile around the warrens and much faster on the open going. Also good endurance in the heat and so far has only ever damaged stoppers when she has ended up turning at speed on granite chip trackways. I've had a bit of trouble with mine hunting on at a distance, but close in obedience is fine. Probably not the best choice for a part timer like me, but I would imagine this type would thrive with plenty of rabbit work on what I've seen of aussie ground. Mine is mostly saluki / greyhound coursing type with a bit of collie in there.DSC00681.thumb.JPG.f5fd940b2aa547c09df03dd387eac4c9.JPG

• Like 3

Hardly ever see saluki working dogs here,not many running dogs in general,at least here in NSW.I think theres a few saluki based staghounds in the wheat belt in south oz.Your bitch would be handy here with heat tolerance and endurance.Most hunters here are after pigs with bull blooded dogs.Suits me as I get onto properties they'd never let pig doggers.

1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

Hardly ever see saluki working dogs here,not many running dogs in general,at least here in NSW.I think theres a few saluki based staghounds in the wheat belt in south oz.Your bitch would be handy here with heat tolerance and endurance.Most hunters here are after pigs with bull blooded dogs.Suits me as I get onto properties they'd never let pig doggers.

I’d of thought all farms with pigs on would welcome “ pigdoggers” with open arms?? Atb

19 minutes ago, Dinosaurs said:

I’d of thought all farms with pigs on would welcome “ pigdoggers” with open arms?? Atb

I’ve read Over in oz an Nz they have problems with pigdoggers acting like poachers or coursers over here I think,I know in oz used to be too hunters as well years ago isn’t that right? Aussie 

2 hours ago, Dinosaurs said:

from reading the views on a Oz site , yes they ( land owners) do like the pigs controlled   on there land , and even though  it a vast size country , they dont like poachers on there ground  . it just the same over here on a smaller scale .  where over here   hunters just aspect that it goes on, over there it really frowned  upon by hunters  them selves . and  pig hunters are up against it now in Oz , as like over here  the antis  over there are trying to get it banned  from what ive read, hope they can keep doing it and fight a ban, and dont end up like us over  here in England .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bird said:

from reading the views on a Oz site , yes they ( land owners) do like the pigs controlled   on there land , and even though  it a vast size country , they dont like poachers on there ground  . it just the same over here on a smaller scale .  where over here   hunters just aspect that it goes on, over there it really frowned  upon by hunters  them selves . and  pig hunters are up against it now in Oz , as like over here  the antis  over there are trying to get it banned  from what ive read, hope they can keep doing it and fight a ban, and dont end up like us over  here in England .

No your right can you imagine the oz version of the packham c**t him