New MOT rules !!

What bright spark thought up the new MOT rules. It is a receipe for a lot of garages ripping people off and a he'll of a lot of cars being failed and costing the owners a small fortune. You used to be able to take the car away and get it fixed either yourself or at another place but even if you've got a month to go you'll get done for it. Will yours pass?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/today-new-mot-rules-fine-12551660

• Like 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you know my friend, I have absolutely no problem with people hiding their money from people who want to steal it and waste it......I don’t care how rich they are and I’m sure you don’t either.

It's another tax. Next month it will be another. Then another. And so on... The rich are getting really good at hiding their money so someone has to step and take the slack for all those welfare progr

They just use a different motor so yours passes emissions that's what "they always done with any of my 'toys' lol.   

Posted Images

it`s allways been that way, if your motor fails it should not be on the road, the only bit that is new is there is a fully traceable record of what its failed on and your insurance company and the police will probably have access to it, as for ripping people off read through the new test manual (open to all through yougov), some things have been dropped from the test, some standards have been relaxed and newer rules brought in to cover modern emissions standards

• Like 1

Its a bit like some garages email you a video clip of your cars essentials when it goes in for service. Yes no one wants doggy motors on the road but they are hoping  to  make  money on bits that are legal but near to the line. If you don't renew the parts and you have an accident you may find that the insurance play you about.

56 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Just read this. Does this mean that a mechanic can now redline your car and stop you driving off in it?!

no, there is no way they can stop you taking your car away, never has been no matter what they say and there is no way now, they are not able to stop you driving away after a fail no matter what they say, the situation is this, IF YOUR CAR FAILS ITS TEST THEN IT IS NOT FIT TO BE DRIVEN ON A PUBLIC HIGHWAY, IT DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM STANDARD, nothing more than that and this was the same before the new regs came in, the only bit that is different is the fact that it fails is now going to be an easily accessable bit of information for any to read, either your insurance company or plod so you could end up in the shit if anything happens, the only thing I would now advise is rather than have a test done early get your car CHECKED without registering it for test before its due, may cost you more as the check will be under whatever labour rates they charge then get it fixed and then do the test, mark this, this is another step towards 4-2 testing, a major step backwards in road safety as the current test is only to MINIMUM standards,  the MOT test pass limit is way under what the manufacturers state as the wear limit on most things (as the only answer to your question, the only thing a mechanic can do is give you your keys and phone plod if he thinks your car is unsafe to be on the road, nothing more than that)

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Just as im lookin for a cheap run about?? Sod’s law eh?

still going to be plenty of cheap motors around, thing to be aware about is some will be piles of sheite with dodgy tickets on them and others will be piles of sheite that comply fully with the minimum standards, buyer beware and all that crap, if your not mechanically minded find someone who is and take themto view any prospective purchase

• Like 1
11 hours ago, neil82 said:

it`s allways been that way, if your motor fails it should not be on the road, the only bit that is new is there is a fully traceable record of what its failed on and your insurance company and the police will probably have access to it, as for ripping people off read through the new test manual (open to all through yougov), some things have been dropped from the test, some standards have been relaxed and newer rules brought in to cover modern emissions standards

luckily I have a new car but I have an old one that I use to go shooting with and carting all the dirty stuff with that is a bit of an mot concern.  I've had a bit of a look for the new manual and I  haven't found it.  Have you got a link to the new manual. I found the one up to 18th may.

Wonder how many people that have had faulty DPFs removed are now gonna be landed a hefty bill. LOL

Surely the stricter smoke testing on diesels is just encouragement to blank the EGR? :whistling:

I also heard that they were now much stricter on corrosion?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Wonder how many people that have had faulty DPFs removed are now gonna be landed a hefty bill. LOL

Surely the stricter smoke testing on diesels is just encouragement to blank the EGR? :whistling:

Mrs car was playing up, dpf was 80% blocked, garage wanted 1600 notes to put right.... Car only done 80,000. Was easier and cheaper to change ecu and remap the car without the dpf filter on it. £300 in the end, car runs better than it ever did. 

7 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Just as im lookin for a cheap run about?? Sod’s law eh?

Get one over 40 years old and you,ll be mot except, I,m feeling a v8, power steering and disc brake conversion on my series landrover coming on for all the reasons above, the new mot rules are simply forcing everyone onto the new car never ending payment schemes that are so popular these days ?

1 minute ago, Daniel cain said:

Mrs car was playing up, dpf was 80% blocked, garage wanted 1600 notes to put right.... Car only done 80,000. Was easier and cheaper to change ecu and remap the car without the dpf filter on it. £300 in the end, car runs better than it ever did. 

My understanding is a lot of garages have historically done the same and anyone that has done that is gonna get a shock come their next MOT. I can see this being one tool that pushes a lot of folks away from diesels. Not much good for folks driving and wanting 4x4s though.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

You can probably explain the science better than me, but even my highest mileage smokey old truck will pass an emissions test simply by running bio fuel through it, I think newer motors have sensors that won't run on it but if you have an old smoker it's the way to go, they even moan at me in the garage for making it smell like a chip shop and have to open all the doors but it still passes 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

My understanding is a lot of garages have historically done the same and anyone that has done that is gonna get a shock come their next MOT. I can see this being one tool that pushes a lot of folks away from diesels. Not much good for folks driving and wanting 4x4s though.

They just use a different motor so yours passes emissions :whistling:that's what "they always done with any of my 'toys' lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1