VHD what are the signs?

I took the dog for a walk on some of my ground that has a fair few  rabbits about the other day. He found two what looked like perfectly healthy young rabbits on the top of the ground dead. I would have thought that if they had been predated they would have been eaten....they were completely untouched and looked in good health.

Another small farm I go on a few miles away always used to be humping with rabbits , a year ago it was nothing to see over a hundred on the place. Now I'm lucky if I see 5.  

Would either of these signs point to VHD? Have any of you guys found similar situations?

10 minutes ago, liongeorge said:

I took the dog for a walk on some of my ground that has a fair few  rabbits about the other day. He found two what looked like perfectly healthy young rabbits on the top of the ground dead. I would have thought that if they had been predated they would have been eaten....they were completely untouched and looked in good health.

Another small farm I go on a few miles away always used to be humping with rabbits , a year ago it was nothing to see over a hundred on the place. Now I'm lucky if I see 5.  

Would either of these signs point to VHD? Have any of you guys found similar situations?

I've found rabbits exactly like that and another that was kicking and thrashing about that died in my hands, thought VHD but not sure, hopefully someone knows

The second description sounds like VHD or RHD if you haven't seen any mixie rabbits. The first one with the two young rabbits only time will tell, young rabbit are not so susceptible to VHD. You will just find the odd rabbit laying on the ground that looks okay maybe with a little blood for its nose or ears but not ever time. Disturbed  one from some stingers it just ran round in circles and fell over, a farmer gave me an account were a rabbit just seem to have a fit jumped around an then died. But most die below ground and the disease can live in the ground for 9 months so if a rabbit enters the burrow in that time it will die and the 9 months starts again if you get my drift. Its very very contagious as little as one hair can transport it or the mud on your boots so worth washing boots etc before going from one perm to another.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1

I got asked to clean out some rabbits over the winter, it was so called alive with them. I couldnt get over for a couple of weeks, and the owner said he hadnt seen any in the last few days which he said was odd. I ran though loads of warrens (havent got a dog) and only managed to bolt one rabbit which surprised both of us. As i emptied its bladder, it looked full of blood, so I gather thats a sign of vhd???

My last day of work landscape got 2 phone calls to remove dead rabbits from the paths i went for a look and both where young rabbits without a mark on them at different sides of the campus . Be just my luck to get something like that now as the students finished on friday and i can start lamping there for 4 months 

16 hours ago, Lee farrington said:

If there is not really anyway of telling if they have it, until its to about to die. How do you no if it's ok to feed to the ferrets

Doesnt affect ferrets, dogs, or us humans. But all can carry it from one location to another. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, grebb said:

Was told today that it’s spread to hares as well  and some chap on radio last wk said only kill rabbits if absolutely necessary or there won’t be a rabbit left in the next 5 years ??

Yea i think it was found in hares in Australia or Newzeland. Wouldn't be surprised if it originated in that part of the world. Man-made maybe?

RCV only killed a  small number of hares in aussie,and over twenty years ago it killed over 90% of rabbits in Nz but slowly they built back up again till at this point most are unaffected by RCV and the population in some places higher than before the release back then,nature balances it all out given time .

4 hours ago, toolebox said:

RCV only killed a  small number of hares in aussie,and over twenty years ago it killed over 90% of rabbits in Nz but slowly they built back up again till at this point most are unaffected by RCV and the population in some places higher than before the release back then,nature balances it all out given time .

Well that gives us some hope that not all is lost.

• Like 1