FAC Inbound, time to shop

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys, the FAC and SGC was on my doormat when I got home, was granted everything I wanted ?

So, unfortunately my FAC/SGC was not on the doormat when I got back ffs, so the wait continues, however, today I ordered a rifle which I can obviously only pick up once the paperwork has arrived.

Man cannot beat the elements only do his best to work around what happens on the day,as Nathan says getting closer the old man v beast is all part of the challenge .And as Philpot says we will never b

Posted Images

Not quite sure but I heard a short while ago that Remington was closing down. They are or were part of the giant Dupont group so if the figures don't stack up any more !!

If this is true, it will be very sad to see a shooting company with so much history to disappear from the shelves so I hope I am wrong with this.

Interesting about the range of ammo available and some of the speed variations, certainly makes me wonder if it is worth looking into some of the faster HV ammo for longer shots before jumping ship. After spending the morning doing some zero work on my pal's new Browning T bolt HMR, we were out last night after tea in some quite strong winds using both my .22LR and my pal's new .17HMR. I was quite surprised just how much wind effect there was on the HMR with side to wind shots and that in turn really makes me wonder if they are suitable for my windy Lincolnshire Wolds perms.

I will say out of the wind, down the edge of a wood, spot on with his first blood going in at 143mt, clean kill but how often are we going to be wind free, Hmmm, this is doing my head in.

Phil 

16 minutes ago, philpot said:

Not quite sure but I heard a short while ago that Remington was closing down. They are or were part of the giant Dupont group so if the figures don't stack up any more !!

If this is true, it will be very sad to see a shooting company with so much history to disappear from the shelves so I hope I am wrong with this.

Interesting about the range of ammo available and some of the speed variations, certainly makes me wonder if it is worth looking into some of the faster HV ammo for longer shots before jumping ship. After spending the morning doing some zero work on my pal's new Browning T bolt HMR, we were out last night after tea in some quite strong winds using both my .22LR and my pal's new .17HMR. I was quite surprised just how much wind effect there was on the HMR with side to wind shots and that in turn really makes me wonder if they are suitable for my windy Lincolnshire Wolds perms.

I will say out of the wind, down the edge of a wood, spot on with his first blood going in at 143mt, clean kill but how often are we going to be wind free, Hmmm, this is doing my head in.

Phil 

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rimfire.aspx

Whatever your experiences with .22lr/HMR in the wind you will actually find the .22lr is WORSE in crosswind than the HMR, compare some yourself in the link above!

.22lr HV is certainly worth exploring and can definately be useful, but you will currently NEVER match a HMR performance with a HV .22lr.

Edited by Deker
  • Thanks 1

In windy conditions one has to simply get closer, that is sage advice for any calibre.

Shooting at great distances is man and machine playing dice with the elements.

Getting closer to quarry is man verses beast, in that light any rifle will do , relatively speaking.

U.

• Like 3

Man cannot beat the elements only do his best to work around what happens on the day,as Nathan says getting closer the old man v beast is all part of the challenge .And as Philpot says we will never be free of wind in this country as any caravanner whose been to Lincolnshire will agree it get,s a tad breezy that way on.

There will always be defender,s of both calibre,s and both have there, use,s so to me the simple choice is apply for both and enjoy using them atb

• Like 3

The wind effect on the shots were as a test only not on quarry, sorry I should have said that.

I didn't mean to use HV 22LR instead of HMR, more to see how useful it would be, I do tend to get up close and personal with rabbits where I can and now looking at a suitable alternative to my FAC air rifle (FX Impact 47fpe) and my .22LR using subs. My pal went the HMR route and I have been mulling over HMR and WMR and hear great things about both with each having their own strengths, it is just down to me as to which route to take, hence brain hurt........

Phil

• Like 1
7 hours ago, philpot said:

The wind effect on the shots were as a test only not on quarry, sorry I should have said that.

I didn't mean to use HV 22LR instead of HMR, more to see how useful it would be, I do tend to get up close and personal with rabbits where I can and now looking at a suitable alternative to my FAC air rifle (FX Impact 47fpe) and my .22LR using subs. My pal went the HMR route and I have been mulling over HMR and WMR and hear great things about both with each having their own strengths, it is just down to me as to which route to take, hence brain hurt........

Phil

If you haven’t tried hv’s .22’s before, I’d recommend rws and eley as starters to try if you can source them. As always though, your rifle will let you know what it prefers. I’ve used some that have been awfully inaccurate. Some that surprised me were federal classic high velocity hp, they were only about three quid a box so I thought I’ll try a box of them. Well, they were smack on with my Anschutz. Went back for some more, “sorry fella, sold out”........about right.?

• Like 2

Many years ago I did side by side tests with Eley subs against Remington yellow jackets (still have a quantity of yellow jackets). This was before I bought my CZ452 HMR and was looking for extra range. I found that targets set at 10 yard intervals from 60 to 100 gave some interesting results from a prone position. firing through my Magtech .22 semi auto. Zeroing the rifle at 70 yards for the Eleys, the yellow jackets were about an inch higher on their target on the same scope setting, being dead on at 90 yards at the same zero, so a twenty yard gain. The Eleys at 90 yards were hitting the ground in front of the target, This was firing two groups of five, which were generally within an inch of the bull, enough for a chest shot on a rabbit in a field I was clearing. I gave up on the HVs as soon as I got the HMR sorted, it was shooting tight clover leaves at 90 yards every time.

• Like 1
On 17/05/2018 at 14:58, andykllhr said:

Afternoon all, now my FAC is (hopefully) inbound, time to start shopping what to get. I have been looking at a new .22LR Anschutz XIV thumbhole for starters and then shift some of my legal limit rifles for my .17 HMR (if granted).

Do people have any opinions of the Anschutz or any other models I should be looking at? Looking at short, accurate and lightweight.

Thanks in advance

Have you got your ticket yet?

Wind comes in waves like the sea waves. Don't just go out there splogging away any old how. Go count the waves and how they come in seconds. There is a pattern. there might be three gusts and then a calm for a few seconds. Shoot when the calm comes or get closer.

8 hours ago, Meece said:

Have you got your ticket yet?

Wind comes in waves like the sea waves. Don't just go out there splogging away any old how. Go count the waves and how they come in seconds. There is a pattern. there might be three gusts and then a calm for a few seconds. Shoot when the calm comes or get closer.

Sounds like Japanese philosophy, not sure what splogging is? I am currently on holiday in the med so I'm hoping my ticket is on my doormat waiting for me.

I've been hunting with sub 12 ft lbs rifles for quite a few years so my field craft is pretty good, always room for improvement obviously, plus the wind affects those little pellets pretty badly too.

Rest assured I won't just head out and start gatting the countryside like a rank amateur.

Back on topic, my local gun shop has a Sako finnfire 2 laminate in stock with a 16" barrel, how do the finnfires stack up against annies? Theres not much price difference, I would have to order an Anschutz in so would take about a week or walk away with the Sako.

Any thoughts guys?

1 hour ago, andykllhr said:

Sounds like Japanese philosophy, not sure what splogging is? I am currently on holiday in the med so I'm hoping my ticket is on my doormat waiting for me.I've been hunting with sub 12 ft lbs rifles for quite a few years so my field craft is pretty good,

On rifle ranges there are triangular pennant fĺags down the range so that you can see what the Wind is doing at different places, and you time your shot to coincide with a lull . If you are new the sea on your holiday watch and count the frequency of the sea waves. It might be that every 4th or 7th wave is a big one followed by a caĺm small wave. ? "dont you know anything"? ???. If you've been using an air rifle you could do very well with a 22 lr. On a good day I  can head shoot out to about e ighty paces with subsonic RWS. I'm not a fan of 17 HMR. Expensive ammo, problem ammo, neck splits and misfires, noisy, can't silence a supersonic projectile  and the rabbits look like road kill. Blasted to bits pre gutted. Have a great holiday,    ( where have you gone too) and count the wave timing. They'll think the sun has gotten to you.  

Edited by Meece
1 hour ago, Meece said:

Ere, get your grey cells around this lot when you have to get out of the sun. It a bit long. But you'll get an idea then you can go on to heat haze theory ?, have a great holiday,

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SXsNJkG6LIESHBRhRjqoK7EUSb2N_Bqbxk2ymxz867I/mobilebasic

In Skiathos until Friday, lovely out here. Yeah I spent 12 years in the military and shot a lot whilst I was in, pretty good with 5.56 and 7.62 at extended ranges, had a lot of fun with .338 too.

Thanks for the advice though, I was more after rifle choosing advice than shooting wisdom ?

Skiathos. Very nice.. Have you walked out and stood at the end of the runway? I think Wednesday is the busy day. As to gun choice it don't make any difference. I dont think that there is any make that is rubbish. I have an Anschutz target rifle that I bought in 1980 and it is still like new. A BSA target rifle from probably the 50s that still puts them through the middle and for my sporting 22 I have a highly modified but ratty BSA from the 50s that is still very, very accurate. Paid a tenner for it. Sako and Anschutz are top grade. How deep is your pocket. Just go and see what feels good. I'd ask if I could try before I bought.

Ps. If you walk out to the end of the runway there is a windmill cafe/bar at the waters edge. The chairs are right on the edge !! 

https://goo.gl/images/NXw1Ju

Edited by Meece