FAC Inbound, time to shop

Afternoon all, now my FAC is (hopefully) inbound, time to start shopping what to get. I have been looking at a new .22LR Anschutz XIV thumbhole for starters and then shift some of my legal limit rifles for my .17 HMR (if granted).

Do people have any opinions of the Anschutz or any other models I should be looking at? Looking at short, accurate and lightweight.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys, the FAC and SGC was on my doormat when I got home, was granted everything I wanted ?

So, unfortunately my FAC/SGC was not on the doormat when I got back ffs, so the wait continues, however, today I ordered a rifle which I can obviously only pick up once the paperwork has arrived.

Man cannot beat the elements only do his best to work around what happens on the day,as Nathan says getting closer the old man v beast is all part of the challenge .And as Philpot says we will never b

Posted Images

Each to their own but I had a pair of CZ452`s and was very happy with them although my HMR took over for me as the main work horse so I swapped my .22lr for a FAC .22 Air rifle.

My advice would be to go HMR then see if you still need / want the .22lr. Just my opinion though.?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d go cz, the anschutz are nice but the do cost a chunk more, I’ve got a browning T bolt in .17 and CZ in .17 the browning was a lot more money than the CZ but shoots no different, if anything the CZ has a better trigger than the browning 

Got 2 CZ 452's. One in 22LR and one in HMR. Sanded the stocks just under the barrel to make sure they were floating nice, put trigger kits on both of them and they are both spot on. Why spend money if you don't need to?. I would spend as much as possible on really good scopes, that would make a difference.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, PLEDGEY said:

Got 2 CZ 452's. One in 22LR and one in HMR. Sanded the stocks just under the barrel to make sure they were floating nice, put trigger kits on both of them and they are both spot on. Why spend money if you don't need to?. I would spend as much as possible on really good scopes, that would make a difference.

That’s spot on, buy the synthetic CZ and treat yourself to a vortex scope

Got a 452 in .22l/r incl Mod and extra mag 110 quid all in .Sweet at 30m or 100 m all day ,so many places do spares,mags and trigger kits but mine works as is as Stavross said save your money buy a CZ and the price difference between Anschutz and CZ is a quality scope or trigger kit or 2nd hand both are possible atb

20180505_003105.jpg

• Like 1
19 hours ago, andykllhr said:

Afternoon all, now my FAC is (hopefully) inbound, time to start shopping what to get. I have been looking at a new .22LR Anschutz XIV thumbhole for starters and then shift some of my legal limit rifles for my .17 HMR (if granted).

Do people have any opinions of the Anschutz or any other models I should be looking at? Looking at short, accurate and lightweight.

Thanks in advance

This type of question has been asked many a time, the answer is already pretty evident above in virtually every reply.

For general field work I struggle to believe anyone would have a problem with a CZ.   CZ can provide short, accurate and lightweight just fine.    Anschutz are great guns but I defy anyone to show me they can improve on CZ for field use. 

:thumbs:

• Like 2

I managed to pick up a Leupold VX-2 3-9X40 when I was in the states, so that will be going on my LR, very impressed with leups, I've got a VX-2 2-7X33 on my MFR too so scope is not an issue.

I did have a look in my local gun shop today, they had a lovely Sako finnfire 2 laminate which was nice but was still £715, so not far off a similar anschutz. I love the look of the thumbhole 1417, but if I want one they'll have to order it in because they don't hold them in store.

On 17/05/2018 at 14:58, andykllhr said:

Thanks in advance

Anschutz XIV is the best sporting .22 I’ve had/used. Fantastic little rifle that I wouldn’t swap. As for hmr, it depends what you need, but for me, I’d have the .22 any day over the hmr. You can run them from 20ft lbs up to nearly 200 ft lbs depending on cartridge. Hmr is a one trick pony compared to .22 rf. as I said though, it depends what want/need. Just my opinion, others may disagree.

• Thanks 1
On 19/05/2018 at 11:34, Rimfireboy! said:

Anschutz XIV is the best sporting .22 I’ve had/used. Fantastic little rifle that I wouldn’t swap. As for hmr, it depends what you need, but for me, I’d have the .22 any day over the hmr. You can run them from 20ft lbs up to nearly 200 ft lbs depending on cartridge. Hmr is a one trick pony compared to .22 rf. as I said though, it depends what want/need. Just my opinion, others may disagree.

It is that logic that has put me off the HMR although I think I will go for a .22WMR which again has a good selection of ammo to offer for different situation according to what I have learned so far.

I am interested to know which ammo produced the very high speed though in .22LR because that may well be a route I would like to have a look at as well.

Phil

Out of what’s available at the moment, cci stingers will be the fastest, but you’ll be lucky if they’re accurate in your rifle. The only rifle I’ve known them to be particularly accurate in was a bsa sportsman. Winchester xpediters were fast and accurate for me, but not available now to my knowledge. I find rws high velocity hp’s to be very accurate, also eley high velocity hp. Federal classic and fiocchi high velocity hp’s also I’ve found to be amongst the best, mini mags and velocitors not quite as accurate. It’s a matter of trial and error. See if they suit your rifle.?

• Thanks 1