Running dog next to bike

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do a lot of Bikejoring with mine as well as trail Mtb’ing with the Dogs free running.  

I’m a great believer in road work, I run with mine getting them off road for part of the time so they can get a bit of pace change and interest. The road part is good for building basic cardio vascula

I got some funny looks.

Posted Images

I’ve never made a dog run by the side of a bike I have steady trotted a dog by the side of a bike to a reasonable fitness just before the season starts I normally do short distances till I’m comfortable that the dogs comfortable then add a mile to the distance your doing but at this time of year it’s pointless as the pavement is to hot to be trotting plus there’s no point in having a dog in peak fitness before the season starts remember there’s fit then there’s running fit

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, MikeyMJL said:

I much prefer getting a dog fit through sprinting, sprinting and more sprinting. Can’t see the point of a lurcher trotting with a bike, built for sprinting!

I perfectly see the point in trotting a dog by the side of a bike it’s controlled fitness for fat out of condition dogs to bring them in to some form of condition to be ready for sprinting,sprinting,sprinting ?? I personally wouldn’t want to try sprinting a fat out of shape dog that’s been chilling out most of the summer 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Just now, poxon said:

I perfectly see the point in trotting a dog by the side of a bike it’s controlled fitness for fat out of condition dogs to bring them in to some form of condition to be ready for sprinting,sprinting,sprinting ?? I personally wouldn’t want to try sprinting a fat out of shape dog that’s been chilling out most of the summer 

Don’t let your dog become a bloater over the summer then......simples! ? bit of common sense with it too, sets, rest etc

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, MikeyMJL said:

Don’t let your dog become a bloater over the summer then......simples! ? bit of common sense with it too, sets, rest etc

Happens to most dogs that are hard worked over the winter they get the easy life over the summer to compensate for hard winters you’ve got to remember a lot of dogs in this game are only kept for work only no racing showing 

• Like 1
Just now, poxon said:

Happens to most dogs that are hard worked over the winter they get the easy life over the summer to compensate for hard winters you’ve got to remember a lot of dogs in this game are only kept for work only no racing showing 

My dog worked hard over the season, yes I’ve cut the fitness sessions right down. No hill sprints or anything like that. Just some games of fetch on flat ground to keep him ticking over. I’ve also cut the food down because he doesn’t need the amount he had. Don’t think gaining a pile of weight would be helpful over the summer.

One of my lands has tac sheep on over the winter and he’s a funny f****r about dogs running on it when they’re there. So I may be tempted to have the odd shine before they’re back in October. Nice to know he would still be sharp enough to have a bash

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MikeyMJL said:

My dog worked hard over the season, yes I’ve cut the fitness sessions right down. No hill sprints or anything like that. Just some games of fetch on flat ground to keep him ticking over. I’ve also cut the food down because he doesn’t need the amount he had. Don’t think gaining a pile of weight would be helpful over the summer.

One of my lands has tac sheep on over the winter and he’s a funny f****r about dogs running on it when they’re there. So I may be tempted to have the odd shine before they’re back in October. Nice to know he would still be sharp enough to have a bash

I definitely don’t think letting a dog gain weight over the summer is a good thing or the way I’d go about things but I’m speaking from a other point of view on weight An fitness I’m a firm believer in keeping the dogs relatively fit over the summer months An running fit over the winter 

• Like 1

I’m a great believer in road work, I run with mine getting them off road for part of the time so they can get a bit of pace change and interest. The road part is good for building basic cardio vascular fitness with minimal risk of injury; it has its role as part of a rehab programme to build fitness or to help maintain baseline fitness in the summer. The exercise without injury is the key to its benefit and if used sensibly it’s good for keeping pads hard and nails short.

• Like 6

Always a good way to get a few miles into a dog with a bike I find. You can go twice as far in half the time compared to walking. I usually go along a canal towpath so dog is off the lead and can go at its own pace. Handy when they stop for a pee, keep on going so they get the odd sprint mixed in to catch you up ?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Lurcherdog96 said:

Does anybody run there dogs next to a bike? If so how many miles do you start with and for how fast? And when do you up it and by how much? Cheers 

All the time, do a short run 5 miles at about 8mph or a longer one 12+ at about 6mph.

It helps if you know the distance your travelling so you can work out your speed.

Where I am there's a bridle way I can trot or sprint the dogs, 5 minutes steady then a couple of hundred yards fast when I'm conditioning them but generally just trotting speed. Have a long lead like a horse halter with a chain coupling on for the 2 lurchers who have learned the script when I go through sections where there are deer about but generally they run free.

They have had me off a few times over the years mind lol can't be too bad for them cos they are all generally fit all year round, my 11 year old lurcher loves it, my 9 yo terrier runs the trail as well as my lurchers at 8mph.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dytkos said:

They have had me off a few times over the years mind lol can't be too bad for them cos they are all generally fit all year round, my 11 year old lurcher loves it, my 9 yo terrier runs the trail as well as my lurchers at 8mph.

Cheers, D.

Been brought down in the past myself aswell, by this current bitch I'm running. Cut across a park on way home got the bike into a high gear head down and full belt.... She flew past me but shot right clipping front wheel, went down like a sack of shite... Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 5