Tasty little feckers.

I popped up to the Manor house permission with Dave from Black Cat yesterday - He'd spotted a hide and feeder up there that he fancied having a go at :thumbs:

I loaded the car, dropped little 'un and her mate off at school and, met Dave outside the farm shop just after 8.

Dave took his .177 HW95, I took the .177 TX - I had the Si Brown MK1 silencer on mine but, I wrapped it in camo tape so that the shiny bits wouldn't get spotted.

It's been a while since I've been in these woods and, everything has grown well - it makes things harder to spot but, it's also harder to see me and, suits my style of daytime hunting :yes:

We had a quick zero check at 36yrds in the bottom copse before moving off.

....... Yep, happy with that :good:

IMG_20180511_085334.jpg

IMG_20180511_142957.jpg

• Like 1

Dave and me prefer to hunt differently - Dave will happily stay in the same spot for hours and pick off his quarry as it comes along.

I prefer to walk a bit, then keep still for a while, looking for things to give themselves away.

When we got to the first part of the top woods, Dave got himself tucked into a bush, 20yrds from the feeder and, I set off.

The first thing that caught my eye was a pigeon landing in a tree on the edge of the woods.

....... It took a while to find it but, through the scope, I could see it's feet and the bottom 1/3rd of it's body, the rest had leaves in the way.

I tried a couple of different angles but, just couldn't see the bugger. Then it flew off :rolleyes:

I carried on round to the second part of the woods and, found a squirrel moving around further down the path.

It was a young one, maybe 40yrds off.

The trouble was, I couldn't get my arm against a tree or branch and still see it so, it had to be a standing shot - I find the TX quite good for this, the weight makes it stable as long as you're not on aim for too long.

..... It took a few seconds before it stayed still so, I took the shot and, got a clean miss - I managed to put the pellet just over it's head and, kick up the leaves just past it.

...... Them squirrels can get some height when you make them jump :laugh:

I carried on round to the bottom but, there wasn't much going on - I could hear the pigeons but, just couldn't find them through the canopy.

Right down at the end, a tiny little rabbit came bolting past me and straight down a hole about 10yrds away - I'd always thought this warren was unused.

Maybe it's been repopulated recently.

..... Either way, I'll come back for a look another time :thumbs:

I got back round to Dave a couple of hours later - he'd had more success - 2 nice chunky male squirrels. 1 off the feeder and 1 off the branch :good:

After that we called it a morning and headed back to the cars.

IMG_20180511_103520.jpg

IMG_20180511_143124.jpg

• Like 3

Dave didn't want the squirrels as he's already got a few and some rabbits in his freezer so, I took them.

I decided to try a shepherds type thing with them this time :thumbs:

While I was skinning the first one, I found the pellet just under the skin behind it's shoulder - it looked like it had passed right through the head, neck and shoulder and, come to a stop before exiting.

I put both squirrels into the oven for around 25mins - with a little olive oil and covered with foil.

When they were done, I picked the meat off and chopped it into smaller bits - that went into a pan with a tin of mixed veg, some red wine, a vegetable stock cube and some pepper.

When that had reduced down, I put it in an oven dish and, topped it with a buttery mash and cheese.

......... It was bloody lovely - Them squirrels are tasty little feckers :yes:

I've managed to keep some in a takeaway tub for the folk at work to try today - I'll tell them what it is after they've had a taste :good:

IMG_20180511_164257.jpg

IMG_20180511_164342.jpg

IMG_20180511_183026.jpg

IMG_20180511_185111.jpg

• Like 6

its a nice wood that jon, had a great afternoon when we went?

I like this time of year when the trees spring back to life... you get more chances when your a free rover but like you said its hard enough finding them never mind

threading a shot through!! we cant have it all.. lol

never tried squirrel but if that was put in front of me id defiantly have a crack at it.. looks good!

how longs Dave had the 95?! I still recon there one of the best bb's out there 

good session lads?

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, si brown said:

its a nice wood that jon, had a great afternoon when we went?

I like this time of year when the trees spring back to life... you get more chances when your a free rover but like you said its hard enough finding them never mind

threading a shot through!! we cant have it all.. lol

never tried squirrel but if that was put in front of me id defiantly have a crack at it.. looks good!

how longs Dave had the 95?! I still recon there one of the best bb's out there 

good session lads?

Cheers Si :thumbs:

I don't think he's had it long - it was christened yesterday.

Edit: Squirrel can go really tough but, I found doing it in the oven, then cooking it in a sauce makes it tender :thumbs:

• Like 1

Great write up Jon and nice shooting lads.

Must admit, squirrel is my preferred wild meat but do try the American way, deep fried.

We had a bit of a family party, get together and when the beer was flowing I deep fried some Squirrel and introduced a tray of Pigeon pasties and the lot went in 10 min`s.

1647456219_IMG_0432(1).JPG.8380d0040f02c827f6ab6affa1a52da0.JPG

By the way Jon, which brand of pellet are you using in that fine looking T Rex mate and which scope are you using ?

The free hand TX shot, Jon, this may or may not work for you mate but sure helped me out.

Slowly lift through your target, breathing in, looking through your cross hairs to about a foot above and then slowly, slowly whilst very gently exhaling bring the cross hairs back down onto the target and lock, build your shot and squeeze off first and touch off second stage, artillery hold.

Spring rifle hunting is far better to read about as well as do.  :good:

Compliments to you lads.  :hi:

• Like 1

Cheers Mark :thumbs:

....... I did think about your deep fried squirrel - I remembered seeing it on here before - How long do you cook it for?

I'm using Falcon Accuracy Plus pellets and, an original MTC Viper 3-12x50 with an SCB reticle, on X10 mag.

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a go :thumbs:

....... I have been coming up past the target, over the top and down through it while holding 1st stage then, releasing the shot and following through as I come down onto it.

..... I can see how a straight up and down might help :yes:

• Like 1