GOOD COLLIE X GREY'S THIN ON THE GROUND IT SEEMS.

7 hours ago, bird said:

you think they were brothers  , wouldn't you !!   Bryn  1x colle x grey , he was  bred   greyhound  dam . sire working farm collie . he be about   3  here , he  11  this sep  , and still fit for his age  the old prat  lol

msg-6933-1271070938.jpg

my god  what a similarity lol...it was a shame we put him to sleep when you think  back,the dog was mad for fox but poor on rabbits,he caught them with ease but had no real interest when they didnt bite back,we had no real interest in fox back then other than digging the terriers ,We were full up of rabbits though and that was our main focus with lurchers back then

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an aside,...having been a member of this unique, hunting men's website, for several years,...I would have to congratulate Collie John for his sheer consistency... I fecking hate, users, and ab

you think they were brothers  , wouldn't you !!   Bryn  1x colle x grey , he was  bred   greyhound  dam . sire working farm collie . he be about   3  here , he  11  this sep  , and still fit for his a

Your right Japs , goodun's are few and far between I'm hoping to get a pup by my line bred collie x dog, in the not too distant future. I'm sure a pup by him would suit your needs if you don

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

You'd do better to wait 'til someone chooses parents carefully and breeds a litter for their own use. Having said that, the best collie/grey I've ever had was bred by a greyhound breeder when a good bitch came back from being lined and was covered again by the farm collie. The litter had both pure greyhounds and first crosses.

Many good litters will have a touch of some other breed in there and if the parents did what you want then what harm? Good luck with your search anyway, I'm sure something will turn up.

good post mate, but back when plummer was in charge, having another bread in them would not be tolerated, and especially  saluki blood, and these days a lot seem to like the mix of coursing and hearding types in a general purpose dog.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, two crows said:

good post mate, but back when plummer was in charge, having another bread in them would not be tolerated, and especially  saluki blood, and these days a lot seem to like the mix of coursing and hearding types in a general purpose dog.

A lot did back then too, at least among those that made their own mind up and went their own way.

Didn't Plummers Merle catch a lot of foxes?? It must be true, I read it in a book?:diablo:

I get the feeling that Plummer would get an idea then believe it must be right because he'd thought it. Never mind how high your IQ is you can always be wrong eh?

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 2

In my opinion your going backwards adding Saluki blood why add more sighthound blood that's just stupid and your diluting the good traits out of the dogs too many lads have gone that way and yes genuine collie greyhounds are thin on the ground especially the ones with plenty of collie blood in them ie reverse threequarter 5/8,s collie 3/8,s greyhound of first crosses, I'm not a fan of 3/4 breds they're to greyhoundy for me to fast poor coats poor feet no bone just don't like them they aren't what I'd term a mooching dog, that's why I breed my own I know how they're bred and I know they will suit me.Regards Collie John.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

In my opinion your going backwards adding Saluki blood why add more sighthound blood that's just stupid and your diluting the good traits out of the dogs too many lads have gone that way and yes genuine collie greyhounds are thin on the ground especially the ones with plenty of collie blood in them ie reverse threequarter 5/8,s collie 3/8,s greyhound of first crosses, I'm not a fan of 3/4 breds they're to greyhoundy for me to fast poor coats poor feet no bone just don't like them they aren't what I'd term a mooching dog, that's why I breed my own I know how they're bred and I know they will suit me.Regards Collie John.

And those dogs obviously suit you and that's why you keep them. Fair play to you and anyone else that likes running them. I like collie crosses myself and I've had them all my life but I wouldn't want a reverse threequarter for what I do because it would never get on terms with the game. You want a collie with a bit extra speed but what most lads want IS a fast running dog with slightly more trainability, good hunting instincts, and better feet than most pure running dogs have.

• Like 2

If I was looking for a collie x I would go to Hancock. You get to see both parents and you know exactly what's in them, I know some folk slag him but I know lads who have worked them and done well, you only get out what you put in and imo some folk jack on there dogs well to early these days. A mates beardy x greyhound didn't catch until she was over 14 months and to some she would have been a jacker but last season she took plenty. Not my kind of x but Hancock for first x. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

And those dogs obviously suit you and that's why you keep them. Fair play to you and anyone else that likes running them. I like collie crosses myself and I've had them all my life but I wouldn't want a reverse threequarter for what I do because it would never get on terms with the game. You want a collie with a bit extra speed but what most lads want IS a fast running dog with slightly more trainability, good hunting instincts, and better feet than most pure running dogs have.

It's each to there own pal I just pursue the rabbits and the odd bit of feather and the type I keep are ideally suited to that task I'm not a fan of speed machines they tend not to make old bones but its each to their own.Regards Collie John

• Like 5
3 hours ago, troyboy17 said:

Was Brin quick enough round the nets or do u think he could do with a bit of whippet in him nice looking dog

yes mate    deff,  he was very quick for a 1x  few lads seen him run, he get 30 in a night in the lamp. and i say ferreting  was his best sport being honest , as he was great marker  , and was quick on to any bolters   . Vin and Tomo  of here seen him work  they would say the same   rabbits and birds was his game  , he still the same now but lost his pace , but as said he 11 this sep , i had Buck my 1x gsd x grey  as wanted more than just a rabbit dog, which he is  .   i  think collie in a lurcher good thing  it gives very healthy type dogs, good brain, and feet and coat, it good gene to have in a lurcher , but for me i have drop of  pit  in there if i had another collie lurcher  , just to  put bit more grit in to them  , a 1/4 collie ample  thats what i think .

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

It's each to there own pal I just pursue the rabbits and the odd bit of feather and the type I keep are ideally suited to that task I'm not a fan of speed machines they tend not to make old bones but its each to their own.Regards Collie John

I think for what your doing your bang on the money but like the op said finding one without going to hancock not easy these days.

49 minutes ago, Jerry71 said:

If I was looking for a collie x I would go to Hancock. You get to see both parents and you know exactly what's in them, I know some folk slag him but I know lads who have worked them and done well, you only get out what you put in and imo some folk jack on there dogs well to early these days. A mates beardy x greyhound didn't catch until she was over 14 months and to some she would have been a jacker but last season she took plenty. Not my kind of x but Hancock for first x. 

would never support a place like that personally. You know what cross they are but not how they are going to throw just like any litter. You also could be getting a pup off a injury prone greyhound or none chaser etc and the studs haven't done anything so are they suitable for work temp etc?

10 minutes ago, two crows said:

I think for what your doing your bang on the money but like the op said finding one without going to hancock not easy these days.

It's not pal but I've nothing personally against Hancock lurchers but they could do alot better to improve things by using the right type of stud dogs especially their collies I'd bring in collies off proper working lines from up North proper hill dogs that are long in the leg have decent feet bone and coat not too heavy coated medium/smooth coated types the type their keeping look like fly ball agility types and there Merles again lol but that's just my humble opinion. Regards Collie John.

• Like 2