• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tried the bike but can'tsee how how riding a quad can help .Do I have to push it .

Does anyone else train their liver with massive amounts of alcohol? Not to failure of course! Just many reps to build stamina?

Fcuking he'll mate the way you were going on I thought you were about 83! At 33 your still wet behind the ears. Follow Birds example he's 65 but you'll never hear him complaining.....

Posted Images

I do recall having them at some point and they passed in time and I just kept running. I think I did concentrate on me form after reading up on that chi running lark. I think that was a big help. Basically run with a lean and land gentle on the front of your foot. 

https://www.chirunning.com/blog/entry/the-whole-story-on-shin-splints

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, terryd said:

I do recall having them at some point and they passed in time and I just kept running. I think I did concentrate on me form after reading up on that chi running lark. I think that was a big help. Basically run with a lean and land gentle on the front of your foot. 

https://www.chirunning.com/blog/entry/the-whole-story-on-shin-splints

Everything I've read tells me to rest and stop running immediately until they have healed. It's not something you can just run off and it will disappear. Pissing me right off they are, they were hurting as soon as i started running tonight but was angry so powered through. They actually eased a bit when i was running although my gait was very tight from them. When i finished though my legs were in bits, killing just to walk up the stairs. Feel like chopping the fcuking things off!

On 14/05/2018 at 21:01, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

That’s not bad shifting for a restarted runner mate 

Is it definitely shin splints ?

not just muscle lag ? Or itb strain? 

Try a foam roller 

Had ITB syndrome before, coupled with bouts of bursitis and the necessary down time I f****d running off as a bad idea. lol

I'd like to hit 5k a couple time a week but for me personally it spannered up any plans for lower body in the gym through niggling injury.

I had absolutely no desire to run distance, just maintain a baseline aerobic fitness. It's demoralising and I figured I could live without. So I have a bit of sympathy for those going through the same.

• Like 1
On 14/05/2018 at 21:14, Kerny92 said:

Yeah i think it is pal, my shins are tender to touch? Maybe you are right but they are pissing me off. 

Yeah i didn't do too bad tonight to say there was a few decent hills as well, finished with a bit of a spurt too. ?

Another bit of advice mate.  Find a good sports physio, I had a pains in my shins last year when I started back and was told by all the club runners and the coach it was shin splints for sure. There’s some sort of test they can do to tell if it’s shin splints for sure my physio tested me and said it defiantly wasn’t and the problem was actually in my calves. A good massage on my legs and lower back and 48 hours rest then back to it. Like I have advised before gait analysis and the correct pair of trainers will help reduce the chances of getting some injury. I am a mild overpronator so I always buy trainers now to suit.

• Like 1

I’m firmly with ken on this I’m afraid 

up until even 6 7 years ago the typical army phys programme was run Monday , long run Tuesday, sports weds , sprints Thursday and a loaded March or equipment race Friday 

The attrition rate was colossal ,  not talking about weasels here or fatties , I’m talking about big string professional battle hardened soldiers with the lower limbs and backs of pensioners ... in serious boys , itvwascaxmassive issue and the whole training programme was over hauled to incorporate more hiit circuits, CrossFit functional movements , compounded with gym work and education 

a new wave of fitness which imho has made today’s soldiers fitter and stronger than ever before ! 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’m firmly with ken on this I’m afraid 

up until even 6 7 years ago the typical army phys programme was run Monday , long run Tuesday, sports weds , sprints Thursday and a loaded March or equipment race Friday 

The attrition rate was colossal ,  not talking about weasels here or fatties , I’m talking about big string professional battle hardened soldiers with the lower limbs and backs of pensioners ... in serious boys , itvwascaxmassive issue and the whole training programme was over hauled to incorporate more hiit circuits, CrossFit functional movements , compounded with gym work and education 

a new wave of fitness which imho has made today’s soldiers fitter and stronger than ever before ! 

That why you left then? ?

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, trigger2 said:

Another bit of advice mate.  Find a good sports physio, I had a pains in my shins last year when I started back and was told by all the club runners and the coach it was shin splints for sure. There’s some sort of test they can do to tell if it’s shin splints for sure my physio tested me and said it defiantly wasn’t and the problem was actually in my calves. A good massage on my legs and lower back and 48 hours rest then back to it. Like I have advised before gait analysis and the correct pair of trainers will help reduce the chances of getting some injury. I am a mild overpronator so I always buy trainers now to suit.

Cheers mate I'll look in to it, did 5k lastnight but the right leg wasn't working. Fitness wise i felt good just the twatting legs, not so bad this morning so we will see.

Sorry to hear  about your leg because I just saw the stiffmiester running past with a fully loaded 90ltr Bergen on his back doing his third ultra marathon since Friday, even chucked a few one handed press ups in when the traffic lights went red ?

• Haha 4