Re-crowning a muzzle

10 hours ago, Underdog said:

Don't know friend but how bad is it?

I ask as if it only need freshening you can do that yourself.

U.

Thanks for the reply . As you can see its probably beyond freshening-up with grinding paste and a ball-bearing.

I'm annoyed as I usually remove the moderator if the rifle isn't in regular use and give both barrel and mod a clean if accuracy drops -off. The rifle is 35 years old and its only in the last year I've noticed the degredation creeping up.

What's worse;I think it's my fault as I had inadvertedly put one of the baffles in the mod in backwards and I reckon it may have caused  debris to gather in the expansion chamber. Either that or Eley are loading acid in their cartridges!

IMG_0375.jpg.dc9be2de2b32601954a26f9ec82f10df.jpg.

Edited by comanche

That will clean up in no time buddy in a lathe. Can you get on a lathe? Work the tooling out from center.

Water and combustion deposits always make acid of some sort. Why some old ammo may have been used years ago with corrosive priming.

The bore is most likely sound from bullet lube.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

That will clean up in no time buddy in a lathe. Can you get on a lathe? Work the tooling out from center.

Water and combustion deposits always make acid of some sort. Why some old ammo may have been used years ago with corrosive priming.

The bore is most likely sound from bullet lube.

The bore is good and though I don't have access to or the knowledge of using a lathe I've found a local gunsmith who like you seems to think its no big deal.

Thank you for your replies Underdog. I might post an "after" picture.

Bit of a warning for those who believe the advice that .22 rimfires don't need cleaning!

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2

I suppose the question is - How does it shoot in this condition? I have seen rim fires worse than this still shoot very well.

The above options seem the best plan as, if you were to have the rifle re crowned (shortened) technically it would have to be re proofed and the cost of the work + reproof + transit costs both ways would have to be set against the value of this old rifle.

1 hour ago, dicehorn said:

I suppose the question is - How does it shoot in this condition? I have seen rim fires worse than this still shoot very well.

The above options seem the best plan as, if you were to have the rifle re crowned (shortened) technically it would have to be re proofed and the cost of the work + reproof + transit costs both ways would have to be set against the value of this old rifle.

It shoots "acceptably"by some folks' standards  but  it used to be a  finger-nail grouper.  I can't do much about my aging eyes but cleaning-up that crown would at least remove one of my excuses for missing :)

• Like 1

Is the thread going as well, looks like it but that may just be debris!

Whatever, it can all be fixed, although I'm not a fan of the home brew methods. 

If you have access to a good lathe and someone who knows what they are doing (the gunsmith you have found) the crown can be fixed in no time!

:thumbs:

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Is that true??

I understand no proof is needed for shortening a barrel, threading yes!

To clean up that crown will not effect any current proofing.

U.

The problem is that to ensure compliance with his insurance a gunsmith should send it for proofing - the Proof House would verify this (but then they would) For a gunsmith to attend to this without going to proof is left to his own risk assessment re his insurance.  Most people will hang on to their rifles but in the event of a sale a shortened barrel without re proofing could cause a problem for the RFD if he spots it at the time of purchase. Subtle barrel changes are in reality a very grey area as far as litigation is concerned.

It may be worth stating that the visible pitting to the OP's muzzle should not affect accuracy but in reality seeing this pitting is also a sign that the last 1 to 3 inches of the bore may also be corroded and that would be a problem causing poor accuracy

Is that true??

I understand no proof is needed for shortening a barrel, threading yes!

To clean up that crown will not effect any current proofing.

U.

Well now that is interesting!

I just phoned Birmingham proof house and asked if any barrel if shortened, without any other machining other than crowning needs to be reproofed and the lady said "yes"! 

And she said it has always been so !!

U.

• 4 weeks later...