A cull brace

A quick trip out after a busy day at home to try and up the cull buck figures. They’re starting to wise up here now and the wind direction meant and new route was needed. The ground was quite damp and trying to crumble leaves to ascertain the shifting faint breeze made me think of a new ‘essential’ bit of kit.. I desperately need a wind puffer! 

Anyway, a slow meander along a flicking ear gave a doe away as she walked towards me about 70m away. She kept looking over her shoulder so I got on the sticks and got ready just in time for a buck to emerge behinde her. A six pointer in tatters but nothing special here so a cull. Banged him in the chest and the ttsx put him down in his tracks. I brisket stick him and hung him up in a tree while I went to get the truck to transport him to the gralloch site.

09A92CCC-E78A-4564-B51C-0243FFC78009.thumb.jpeg.b15ddb75a24a6692045db50caef7bc3b.jpeg

Half way through the suspended gralloch a in the fading light and there was sound behind me; turning round there was a buck and a doe on the tree line. He was a average 4 pointer so again, on the list. A tricky manover to the rifle and, leaning against a tree, he was taken in the chest as well dropping on the spot 

Battery on the phone then died so a pic back in the larder after a finishing the gralloching off in the dark... and still with all my fingers.

BA5F16E1-FF8E-4A27-9526-C95C5FD895E3.thumb.jpeg.76ea3321475fe95856f74a599b473efb.jpeg

• Like 5

Cheers fellas.

I’ve got the lot here - I just got the impression they wanted it managed for the benefit of the estate. They obviously felt there was more to do and this just strikes me as the best way to go about it. 

5 hours ago, firthy said:

Your smashing it mate sounds like there’s plenty of work to do on ya new permission ?

Work it is mate - I’m not complaining but it’s let’s just say it’s starting to get bloody inconvenient having all this venison to get rid of. 

On 03/05/2018 at 21:49, Yokel Matt said:

Work it is mate - I’m not complaining but it’s let’s just say it’s starting to get bloody inconvenient having all this venison to get rid of. 

You’ll prob have to start giving it away lol least ya got plenty to keep you busy mate 

You not got a game dealer near by? You don' get much for a roe but it does save buying more and more freezers!

An excellent alternative to a wind puffer is a lighter, just use the flame. I saw a lad doing it in NZ and I've been using it ever since

• Thanks 1