Ferret Finder MK3

jasper65

I fancied investing in one of these but have read in another post they're not as good as the older Deben models :hmm:, if amyone uses one what do you think? also will it work with the older type collars? also will the Old handest work with the new collars?

One other thing!! does anyone know where there is any Bargains to be had or any on sale?

ATB

Jasper

i was out today ferreting and use the mk3 all the time,way better than the mk1.i opened on a rabbit and ferret today and was 3-4 inches away from both.it takes a little practice to get used to them but they are brill.i got rid of my mk1 as soon as i had the hang of it,way better and simple to use once ye understand the works of it.

get on EB@Y seller: a1tackleshop

mk3 with 1 collar £130 free post. i must admit though, last week they were £127 free post.

i had a mk3 collar off him the other day for £45 delivered to my door. i received it the day after i ordered it..

richie

Hello.I'm new to computers and forums so please bear with me!Bought my grey box locator(now known asMK1)second hand well over20 years ago.Used it hard,one collar died,one believedpinched .Like a wally I bought a complete mk3 set in 2006. Soon realised that I only needed to buy a collar as my old grey box works great with the mk3 necklaces! Reckon the mk3 is distracting ,requiring too much user input.Count the features;on/off switch,search mode/locate mode switch,flashing depth indicators and ....the volume control knob.This brings me onto the subject of noise---think 1968 Star Trek,think Hawkwind backing -track,think of a noise likely to alarm rabbits below ground ,distress ferrets,accept the incredulous looks and "Beam me up Scottie",from your fellow ferreters !. Old grey box operates at the touch of a finger on the single combined on/off/depth gauge come volume roller switch.Simple ,accurate ,one -handed use and a very subtle noise output.The mk3 reciever unit seems to me ,too sensitive to the wriggling of a ferret.Try holding a mk3 above a boxed ferret and see how the depth indication lights fluctuate though the little creature is at a fixed distance.My advice is to keep your grey box in use and invest in a mk3 collar.Out of interest,if a "mk1"box fails to work after being laid-up don't chuck it away without at least gently wiping- over the circuit-board with white spirit(meths ,poteen etc) to remove any verdi-gris.Now let's see if I can successfully mail this thing ... Happy New Year...

i got a mk3 the other week and i hate it, the noise does my head in but i think its fautly coz its sayin the coller is further away than it really is wish they still sold the old type they wer so easy to use :hmm:

Hello.Sent my Mk3 back thinking it defective because of the stupid noise and the inaccurate depth display.(I know packaging says "only a guide/varies with conditions", etc. but 50% to 100%over-estimation of depth is taking the Mick).Can't fault Deben's service but they insisted nothing was wrong and I promised to persevere with the device.That was 18 months ago.With a full season behind me I wrote to Deben with my honest opinion .They assured me of recent improvements and actually swapped my unit for a spanking new MK3just before the current ferreting season.Well...Full marks to Deben for their commitment to customer relations.Sadly my new MK3 is as dissapointing as the last.I believe some people like the MK3 but I've been ferreting long enough to remember the "mk1" coming out.No one denied it's simplicity,reliability and accuracy.Can't say the same about the MK3. Whether you accept that it is a step forward or believe otherwise ,the fact that the customer base for it is divided should be telling the manufacturers something! Sadly ,Deben seem to have the Ferret finder market cornered...Bring on the Chinese copies of the MK1!

Thanks for that Information Comanche :thumbs:.

I picked mine up today of a good gennuine lad off the forum and it works perfect but I think its going to take me a bit of getting used to. I did a few tests with it in the Garden and lobbed the collar down one of the terrier holes, I would say when standing above it was a good 6ft deep. what I found confuseing is its blipping away when I'm not over the Collar with all the LED's flashing? why didn't Deben make the system to only activate when pointed in the direction of the transmitter Collar? it does blip faster as it should when pin pointed over the Collar and then the LED's finally make a fix on the depth....

Could I ask someone who has alot of experience with the MK3's to give us a account on how they locate their Ferrets from the time the switch their MK3 on? there's obviousley some tried and tested techniques which work best for this unit from starting in the Search mode to the finer tracking useing the Locate mode? practice is the answer but some advice would be helpful and much apreciated....

ATB

Jasper

Thanks for that Information Comanche :thumbs:.

I picked mine up today of a good gennuine lad off the forum and it works perfect but I think its going to take me a bit of getting used to. I did a few tests with it in the Garden and lobbed the collar down one of the terrier holes, I would say when standing above it was a good 6ft deep. what I found confuseing is its blipping away when I'm not over the Collar with all the LED's flashing? why didn't Deben make the system to only activate when pointed in the direction of the transmitter Collar? it does blip faster as it should when pin pointed over the Collar and then the LED's finally make a fix on the depth....

Could I ask someone who has alot of experience with the MK3's to give us a account on how they locate their Ferrets from the time the switch their MK3 on? there's obviousley some tried and tested techniques which work best for this unit from starting in the Search mode to the finer tracking useing the Locate mode? practice is the answer but some advice would be helpful and much apreciated....

ATB

Jasper

The way I learnt is getting someone to hide it, and then finding it, give it a try.

The method I use is to scan around on SEARCH, until you get to below 8 foot on the LED's , then swich it to LOCATE, scan around further, following the sound on the locator (high pitch getting closer) then once you are confident you are fairly near, start to turn the PIN POINTER slowly until you hear nothing, wave the locator over the ground, if you still hear nothing then move the PIN POINTER back until you hear the sound and then you should be more or less on top of the ferret.

It takes some getting used to, and there will be times when it will appear to be singing at you for sake of it :laugh:

Its quite hard to tell in writing, as it appears some people have different methods, just keep practising!

EDIT/PS, Remember that when you are on SEARCH mode that you read the LED's depth from the top and when on LOCATE read from the bottom

H&J :thumbs:

Edited by Hob&Jill
The way I learnt is getting someone to hide it, and then finding it, give it a try.

The method I use is to scan around on SEARCH, until you get to below 8 foot on the LED's , then swich it to LOCATE, scan around further, following the sound on the locator (high pitch getting closer) then once you are confident you are fairly near, start to turn the PIN POINTER slowly until you hear nothing, wave the locator over the ground, if you still hear nothing then move the PIN POINTER back until you hear the sound and then you should be more or less on top of the ferret.

It takes some getting used to, and there will be times when it will appear to be singing at you for sake of it :laugh:

Its quite hard to tell in writing, as it appears some people have different methods, just keep practising!

EDIT/PS, Remember that when you are on SEARCH mode that you read the LED's depth from the top and when on LOCATE read from the bottom

H&J :thumbs:

Many thanks for that info Hob&Jill :toast:...

I'm such a Numpty mate I rang Molly up earlier and Millet filled told me I had put the batteries in the wrong round! and yep I had :whistling:...

I'll get some practice in with what you mention above. You're right about it singing to me for the sake of it! when I gave it a few trials in the garden there was times when it was quiet until I was getting close to the collar! and on other times it started playing tunes away from the area while scanning the ground, the other thing I notice is I have to point it well away from the collar nearly Horizontaly before it goes quiet, but there is no doubt its peaking out in blips straight above the collar...

I suppose its like everything mate! "Practice makes perfect".

Much apreciated :thumbs:

Jasper