Scope not zeroing

Hi all, 

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but just wanted to confirm.

I was trying to zero my scope yesterday as it was shooting far too low. The adjuster was going UP fine but then I was able to get it any higher and I'm still a good inch below the Bull.

I'm assuming this means the scope is knackered?

Cheers

Firstly what rifle do you have it on? It is unlikely that the scope is shot, more likely you have it on a rifle with barrel droop (springer?) it is entirely possible that you just need to pack the rear mount to bring the rear of the scope up to compensate, an even better solution would be an adjustable set of mounts, as packing the rear mount can stress the scope tube sometimes, try another scope on it if you can, and see if the same happens.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, charlie caller said:

Firstly what rifle do you have it on? It is unlikely that the scope is shot, more likely you have it on a rifle with barrel droop (springer?) it is entirely possible that you just need to pack the rear mount to bring the rear of the scope up to compensate, an even better solution would be an adjustable set of mounts, as packing the rear mount can stress the scope tube sometimes, try another scope on it if you can, and see if the same happens.

Its on a Rapid 12 (FAC)

Has the scope ever been fitted on another gun ? If so you need to optically re centre the scope before you do anything else. Use the mirror method to do it as counting the clicks either way takes too long and there is more chance of damaging the scope .

Basically set mag to lowest

set parralax to infinity

in a well lit room hold scope up flush against a mirror and look through scope

chances are you will see two reticles instead of just one, the second one you see is the shadow of the original reticle so scope is not optically centred.

Use turrets and adjust them so that both reticles overlap each other and you end up with only one reticle.

that is your scope optically recentred and now you will have more available adjustment.

http://rifleopticsworld.com/optically-center-scope/.       hth

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2

Or just swap the mounts round first and see if that alters anything ,you,l be surprised how many peeps have this issue and its just a subtle height difference  in mounts .The packing of the back mount as suggested puts the scope down toward the barrel raising the aim point so if the "high" mount is at the back and slightly lower at the front same effect is achieved atb