scope question

thinking of buying new scope and would like to know which scope i saw on The Airgun Show where the presenter said that the holdover on the milldots stayed the same no matter what magnification you were on ie at 30yrds on x4 would be 3 milldots then if you zoomed in to  x8 would still be 3 milldots  . Reading this back i hope you know what i mean and can tell me what this feature is called  

I have. The Falcon range Oakey - Any of the Menace models. Bloody heavy though.

As Si points out, you do pay more for FFP scopes, and to be honest, its kinda wasted in the field, but the silhouette lot find them super useful.

Rets can be super complex too. 

10 minutes ago, philpot said:

When you zoom in, does the cross hair become thicker or have I misunderstood the concept.

Phil

No Phil. The reticle should remain fixed as you focused it, throughout the zoom magnification range. I suppose you have an optical illusion of the reticle enlarging as you zoom down to low mag on your target. But in my experience of scopes, they generally stay put.

• Thanks 1

It's definitely First Focal Plane. The difference is that the reticle changes size with zoom which means the mildots stay true at whatever magnification you want. Yes, lines of the reticle get thicker, the further you zoom in which may become a slight issue with small targets.

I have 2 FFPs. The first is a Chinese "Fire Wolf 5-15x50" which works well although the reticle takes a bit of getting used to. (£92 from AliExpress). Agood scope for the money.

The second is a sparkly new Hawke30 Sidewinder 6-24x50FFP. A much better scope but a much bigger pricetag (£425 from Ebay). There is also a 4-16x50FFP at £405. I would say the latter is the better option as x24 mag is more than most people need.

Kronos do some good scopes as do Falcon but if IR is important to you, check them out before you order as they don't all have IR at all (MTC optisans only have it on the longer, more expensive scopes. 

Also, some of these scopes don't give you the option of MRAD turrets to match the Reticle.