Letting nature take over

6 minutes ago, WILF said:

It crossed my mind mate, but I also have to consider the best return on investment and while I really like my sheep (:icon_eek:) I only have limited space and the weather and ground conditions would still mean I have to medicate.....a lot !

Its just not worth it for a one lamb return.......my family will eat a whole lamb in about a week !

Thats a years work! 

pigs and cattle give a better return in input to output.

edited to add:

it not that I do t want to pay for medication as it’s relatively cheap I just don’t want to be eating that shite.

I want everything as free range and natural as possible 

Ah got you

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5640191/How-letting-Mother-Nature-reclaim-prime-farmland-produced-breathtaking-results.html thought this was interesting article

I have done this with my back garden but neither my wife or neighbours seem to share my enthusiasm 

Always said when I win the lottery I’m going to buy a couple of hundred acres and let it go wild, graze it with a few pony’s and cows and live in the middle of it in bliss. 

How about goats wilf, a more natural animal with many similarity,s to sheep, though pigs do take some beating, a mate of mine bought a cottage with five acres of brambles and scrub and it's been transformed in a couple of years to good pasture with the help of a few pigs, plus a good return when they grown on 

1 minute ago, Greyman said:

How about goats wilf, a more natural animal with many similarity,s to sheep, though pigs do take some beating, a mate of mine bought a cottage with five acres of brambles and scrub and it's been transformed in a couple of years to good pasture with the help of a few pigs, plus a good return when they grown on 

Too similar to sheep mate and would require the same medication.

They are almost the exact same creature.

Oh well I thought they would be more hardy as they can still live in the wild, guess pigs it is then, good to have choice and options in what you put on your table though mate FairPlay to what your doing ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Oh well I thought they would be more hardy as they can still live in the wild, guess pigs it is then, good to have choice and options in what you put on your table though mate FairPlay to what your doing ?

I have kept goats mate, quiet apart from being a total pain in the arse because of their character ! Lol, they fall foul of exactly the same ailments as sheep and seem just as weak.

It has to be down to a weakened genetics/immune system because they get fed so much medication wether they need it or not.......because, as you rightly say, they survive in pretty harsh conditions in the wild.

4 hours ago, WILF said:

It crossed my mind mate, but I also have to consider the best return on investment and while I really like my sheep (:icon_eek:) I only have limited space and the weather and ground conditions would still mean I have to medicate.....a lot !

That sounds a p*sser, mate. You'd have nothing but trouble with them, in the Emerald Isle, but our native bighorn sheep are something pretty spectacular. Very hardy until you put them near livestock and then it all goes to sh*t. If you could get them established you could sell hunting permits to wealthy yank tourists...

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Fcuk sheep, woolly orrible suicidal fcukers? Always trying to kill them selves an it’s too far to bend down when you need to work on em? stick to the coos wilf, easier to look after an much better returns like ye say? leave the sheep to the welsh??

If getting sh1t and p1ssed on everyday while milking them is your thing ?