Letting nature take over

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5640191/How-letting-Mother-Nature-reclaim-prime-farmland-produced-breathtaking-results.html thought this was interesting article

I have done this with my back garden but neither my wife or neighbours seem to share my enthusiasm 

Always said when I win the lottery I’m going to buy a couple of hundred acres and let it go wild, graze it with a few pony’s and cows and live in the middle of it in bliss. 

1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

Always said when I win the lottery I’m going to buy a couple of hundred acres and let it go wild, graze it with a few pony’s and cows and live in the middle of it in bliss. 

Yeah I’d love to do it, probably let some chickens or gamefowl loose as well.

• Like 1

Interesting for sure , I’d like to be in the position to let 3500 acres of West Sussex go wild ..if every farmer did that it would be fabulous but being on a waiting list for a joint of organic meat doesn't cut the must mustard when it comes to food production.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, sussex said:

Interesting for sure , I’d like to be in the position to let 3500 acres of West Sussex go wild ..if every farmer did that it would be fabulous but being on a waiting list for a joint of organic meat doesn't cut the must mustard when it comes to food production.

Thats true , sadly there’s more pressure to produce cheap food to feed the population.

• Like 2

The article is REALLy interesting to me, I don’t like this idea I’d routinely medicating animals.....in fact I f***ing hate it.

I have found, to my cost, that the common breeds of farm sheep can’t survive without routine medication and I mean every 6 weeks.

That can’t be right.

And it’s heavy shit that you are pumping into them.......and you end up eating it.

I won’t have sheep again after this year......shame because they are nice animals.

Now, I have a couple of fields that could do with renovating but I don’t really want to spray them full of round up and plough, till, fertilise, more weed killer etc 

So, I’m going to do a test with pigs on about an acre......pigs will churn up ground like a machine and I am thinking they will fertilise as they go.

Then a quick flatten and grass seed or wheat then grass will bring the fields back and deal with a rush problem?

the thing that holds you back is EU regulations so I will have to work round that.

We will see.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, WILF said:

The article is REALLy interesting to me, I don’t like this idea I’d routinely medicating animals.....in fact I f***ing hate it.

I have found, to my cost, that the common breeds of farm sheep can’t survive without routine medication and I mean every 6 weeks.

That can’t be right.

And it’s heavy shit that you are pumping into them.......and you end up eating it.

I won’t have sheep again after this year......shame because they are nice animals.

Now, I have a couple of fields that could do with renovating but I don’t really want to spray them full of round up and plough, till, fertilise, more weed killer etc 

So, I’m going to do a test with pigs on about an acre......pigs will churn up ground like a machine and I am thinking they will fertilise as they go.

Then a quick flatten and grass seed or wheat then grass will bring the fields back and deal with a rush problem?

the thing that holds you back is EU regulations so I will have to work round that.

We will see.

you'll need another bull x to deal with the unsavory wildlife Wilf

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, WILF said:

That can’t be right.

We will see.

Did you not consider rare breed sheep? The free roaming sheep up in the Forest of Dean wouldn’t be getting that much meds as their owners are to tight to pay for it that often ?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Did you not consider rare breed sheep? The free roaming sheep up in the Forest of Dean wouldn’t be getting that much meds as their owners are to tight to pay for it that often ?

It crossed my mind mate, but I also have to consider the best return on investment and while I really like my sheep (:icon_eek:) I only have limited space and the weather and ground conditions would still mean I have to medicate.....a lot !

Its just not worth it for a one lamb return.......my family will eat a whole lamb in about a week !

Thats a years work! 

pigs and cattle give a better return in input to output.

edited to add:

it not that I do t want to pay for medication as it’s relatively cheap I just don’t want to be eating that shite.

I want everything as free range and natural as possible 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1