Old trap ( gin trap )

Im sure someone will be along to tell you the age...., I borrowed a couple as a kid from a farmer in the late 70’s....I was  bit different to all my mates living in a major city lol....found the local tannery which was crawling with rats and trapped bloody loads with the old gins using slices of pear as bait ! ( can’t remember now where I got the pair from !).....happy days ...

• Like 2

I know my father used set them when he was young, He would be about 90 if he was still around. I think there were two sizes  for rabbits and a smaller one for rats. I found some on a farm tip when I was a young I cleaned them up with a wire brush polished the little brass triggers painted them matt black and sold them to an dealer. I kept a couple of the small rat ones and set them down the bottom of the garden as a neighbour kept budgies and the rat used to run the fence  line, about 2 o'clock in the morning I got hoofed out of bed and a slap around the back of my head " you've got a gin set haven't you, get down there and sort it" . Yea I got a rat but it wasn't dead and it was screaming its head off and at 2 o'clock in the morning it didn't half sound loud. Funny how just seeing that picture brought all that flooding back like it was yesterday.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I have a couple of old traps the same as that one, and likewise they're covered in rust. Does anyone know the best way to get it off?

soak them in white vinegar RH , have a look on youtube good few vids on there showing how well it works ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, womble 1 nut said:

soak them in white vinegar RH , have a look on youtube good few vids on there showing how well it works ?

Thanks for that advice Womble. I just plan to get them looking nice, spray them black and hang them up as ornaments or whatever.

• Like 1

if its for show i would try get the trigger brazzed with the trap in open and ready to go possition and rub a wax on the trap. maybe the wax you put on your boots to keep them waterproof

you will be able to put them on a wall and they will be safe

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...