New Pup

He landed Saturday. 8 weeks old on the nose. So far clean in house, bang on basic commands. Sit, leave, down. Crys like a bitch when left though hates his crate, tough love he will be right enough. Other 2 older dogs will play with him outdoors but give a growl indoors if he gets in there faces, but no snapping ect. Happy with him. Onwards and upwards. Not nervy infact a confident outgoing strong pup. 

20180417_090859.jpg

20180417_090805.jpg

20180416_213344.jpg

• Like 11

nice pup that  , was it the 1/4 collie 3/4 grey dog pup you picked from  Hancock  ?   by the sound of it he doing great in his temp,  and he come on very quick  in your house with you interacting  with him deff . my 2 males live outside  together get on ok , big younger dog give a growl to my old dog , when the old prat get in his face lol , but they good mates . and as i said to before that if was going to get a collie x grey lurcher , a 1/4 collie is what i go for , there just as clever as 1x , but not so manic in temp .

• Like 1

Yeah thats him. Im currently like a zombie! I forgot how hard a pup is. Watching every move he males incase he swallows something he shudnt ect. He went clean from 11.39 last night to 6am. Cant grumble at that. Older bitch will play with him on beach for ages but in the house she dont like him haha but my Black n White Whippet cross (the twitchy one) gave him a telling off (for biting his neck) yesterday and it looked horrid he really went to town on him, pup was screaming for a good 10/20 seconds after. No blood or injuries though so he musnt have made contact. I thought honest to god id lost him. Its gunna be a long time before i can relax again, i feel like a sleep deprived old witch. He will be worth it though. 

regards the dogs and pup , its done now  so you just have to see how the pup goes after with his temp. as it could have knocked him back a bit, and be bit nervy with other dogs. it pity you didnt  hold him back from the other dogs for month or so  in the house, put him in his cage , as he met all the dogs out side and there no prob there, as you stop the older dogs if they got to rough, in the house they wouldn't  want him in there face , and they shown it .   

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, bird said:

regards the dogs and pup , its done now  so you just have to see how the pup goes after with his temp. as it could have knocked him back a bit, and be bit nervy with other dogs. it pity you didnt  hold him back from the other dogs for month or so  in the house, put him in his cage , as he met all the dogs out side and there no prob there, as you stop the older dogs if they got to rough, in the house they wouldn't  want him in there face , and they shown it .   

Should of said the twitchy one gave him this telling off outside. Pup was straight back up into trying to play with same dog and bounding around so thankfully no harm done. Its just like this dog dosnt know how to "correct" bad behaviour, instead of the classic, avoid, growl, lip curl, snap ...he just goes stiff then gives a real telling off but hes always been a bit weird and yknow what. It all started 3 years ago when he got castrated was aways a good player before that. Im making sure resident dogs have escape spaces from him ie upstairs and pup takes crate time. Shame because hes a topper...im just scared to death of letting him tell pup without actualy hurting him. Husbands always said it needs a muzzle but i disagree he wont full out attack ever only if something gets up in his face biting and pawing. 

prob better your dogs teach him manners than something you don't know? Our old Parti used to really fly at pups and give them a real "talking to", it didn't do any lasting harm and they got on with each other for life

• Like 1

I agree with you about the whippet x telling the pup off up to a point but I now muzzle my intolerant male whippet x saluki around pups as he reacts exactly the same as yours.  He has however occasionally drawn blood where a canine has hit the pup 'by mistake' and split the skin (no actual bite).  He probably would not damage a pup seriously but I will no longer take the chance it might escalate.  I know what his jaws can do.

• Like 1

Yes this one has drawn blood before on a young over enthusiastic golden retriever. I might do as i dont want to take no chances. Today hes been kept separate from the pup (just so i could turn my back without worrying) and the bitch has been far more tolerant, instead of running away shes stood her ground and just gave a throaty growl. Maybe his unstable energy is affecting her? Need eyes up my arse :help: