Whats the go with Foxes in the UK ?

With the consideration that I am in Australia.

What is the go with Fox in the UK ?

Over here in most States we kill them off as pest management, there is also a bounty on them in Vic, along with Wild Dogs.

What has been the go in history, and now please?

No such luck as a bounty here, but here's hoping, they are treated as a pest, and equally loved by just as many, they are survivors, and as long as some see them as cute and fluffy, they will do just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

The average bounty on fox is only about 5 Pound, but wild dogs fetch up to 60 Pound.

This is around the max. and not all States pay bounty.

Many just get strung up on the nearest fence to show the farmer that the shooters have done them in.

18 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Be a tail I’d imagine rather than whole carcass??

could ye make a living out them or coyote depending where ye are??

I wondered about the ability to make a living off it.

1 hour ago, Welsh_red said:

How do you go about collecting your bounty? Do you have to provide a carcass for them / is it up to you to dispose or do they take it etc 

Be quite interesting to know how it's worked  

Local DWR has a collection station and the date and time are posted on their website. Usually once a month. You have to do an online registration course and hang on to at least the scalp with both ears (full pelt accepted) and at least two-thirds of the lower jaw. Ears are tagged to stop you attempting to resubmit for extra bounty. Once they are satisfied with the submission they mail you a cheque.

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Be a tail I’d imagine rather than whole carcass??

could ye make a living out them or coyote depending where ye are??

Currently scalp and lower jaw. It does change but not too frequently. Fill out the forms and give the GPS coordinates of where you bagged it. Disposal of the remainder of the carcass is down to the hunter.

54 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

I wondered about the ability to make a living off it.

$50 a submission isn't to be trifled with. 8 a week would be a very comfortable living here in UT, depending on your lifestyle. I'd certainly consider a switch as I could do that. It's worth looking into trapping as well as shooting to up your chances but realistically if you could shoot a couple at the weekend you could bump your slush fund up.

I've counted at least 8-9 running down my street in the early hours of the morning and that's at least 3 days a week. I like them though. They're my neighbours and the nice ones at that!

Edited by ChrisJones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 09/05/2018 at 00:57, ChrisJones said:

You have to do an online registration course and hang on to at least the scalp with both ears (full pelt accepted) and at least two-thirds of the lower jaw.

That's so 'American west'! A bounty on f***ing scalps LOL

The millenials over here would have a f***ing breakdown if the council did that. My god, the pleasure that thought brings me. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
10 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

That's so 'American west'! A bounty on f***ing scalps LOL

The millenials over here would have a f***ing breakdown if the council did that. My god, the pleasure that thought brings me. LOL

The only thing that pisses me off with it is that some of them leave the carcass to rot. They'll just cut the money parts of and leave the rest where it fell. On a personal level, I look at it as littering. Clean your shit up. But the lead in some of the carcasses poisons the raptors and I don't know if any of you are familiar with the California Condor but it was declared extinct in the wild in 1987 but a superb breeding and reintroduction program has snatched them back from the brink. Lead poisoning is still one of the biggest culprits and despite DNR offering free lead-free ammo a lot of the great white hunters won't use it.

• Sad 1
On 09/05/2018 at 08:03, Welsh_red said:

How do you go about collecting your bounty? Do you have to provide a carcass for them / is it up to you to dispose or do they take it etc 

Be quite interesting to know how it's worked  

I know Vic has a bounty, A$10 per fox & A$120 per dog. Just make sure you get all the bits of the dog that you need.

The parts are given to the relevant department and payment is made but you dont get to keep anything. It is not that un-common for shot animals to be transported innumbers from one place to another for a higher reward - I cant think why ?? LOL

40 years ago fox pelts fetched up to A$120 each but more common A$20 - 40, all for export to Europe. On a good night with a lot of fox on the land a shooter could make A LOT of money with 20 - 40 fox shot, but you had to be very careful as to the prep for sale, many skins ruined for lack of care or experience.

The methods and process for collecting the bounty is in the links below.

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/pest-animals/fox-bounty

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/pest-animals/fox-bounty/definition-and-acceptable-condition-of-fox-body-parts

Edited by 17hornet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...

No bounty but I charge as required, either the night or the fox, and I always get it wrong, if I charge by the night I'll get 6 fox, if I charge by the fox I get none! :thumbs:

Crazy situation in this country, many seem to treat them as pets and feed them thinking they are cute an lovely.    I'm in the middle of one job for a lady who wants rid of them in her garden, and she was just telling me about her Mother who lives about 4 miles away and has them in her garden as well, she dare not tell her Mum what she's doing as her Mum feeds them and thinks they are wonderful in her garden!  :doh:

2 hours ago, Deker said:

No bounty but I charge as required, either the night or the fox, and I always get it wrong, if I charge by the night I'll get 6 fox, if I charge by the fox I get none! :thumbs:

Crazy situation in this country, many seem to treat them as pets and feed them thinking they are cute an lovely.    I'm in the middle of one job for a lady who wants rid of them in her garden, and she was just telling me about her Mother who lives about 4 miles away and has them in her garden as well, she dare not tell her Mum what she's doing as her Mum feeds them and thinks they are wonderful in her garden!  :doh:

Lady who lives next to a farm my Mrs has a horse on feeds them aswell. The hunt sent through and cleared loads of foxes out . Same woman also feeds the farmers sheep over her fence and has fed some before and they ended up Ill or dead , no idea what she was feeding them.  Farmer lady went up there for a dust up as it wasn't the first time she's interfeared with the livestock and cops were called . Guns were taken from the farm after supposed threats (the farm lady is pushing 80) . Some people want country life without the country spirit which is sad 

• 1 month later...
On 26/05/2018 at 04:07, Deker said:

LOL, now there is awkward scene.

On 26/05/2018 at 06:17, Welsh_red said:

Lady who lives next to a farm my Mrs has a horse on feeds them aswell. The hunt sent through and cleared loads of foxes out . Same woman also feeds the farmers sheep over her fence and has fed some before and they ended up Ill or dead , no idea what she was feeding them.  Farmer lady went up there for a dust up as it wasn't the first time she's interfeared with the livestock and cops were called . Guns were taken from the farm after supposed threats (the farm lady is pushing 80) . Some people want country life without the country spirit which is sad 

More like without Country common sense, same here as Cities spread wider, we have foxes here in the center of the city.