Fell terrier cross

My mate got a patt x whippet pup so he was told from a dog pound around 99,as a pet/companion. The relationship he was in went tits up and I ended up taking the dog on. At the time me and a mate were working and living as green keepers on an 18 and 9 hole course. Dog had the run of the place.... Out in the days on the greens etc while we worked, nights in the club house and walking round the grounds as nightwatchmen. He caught untold amounts of rabbit, rats, squirrels and the odd Charlie, we lamped him was no different to any other lurcher,probably the best dog I've seen on golf course rabbits, dug rats with him with my terriers, I never heard him bark above ground in the 4 yrs we had him, twice he did go to ground but like it was already mentioned...... Few more inches closer to the prize he could of been a keeper. He never fought with another dogs, at the time the black dogs I had were horrible cnuts for scrapping lol.... A mates Oldman took him on after I moved off to pastures new. Old Buddy lived till he was 16/17 I believe, used to see my mates Oldman walking round the town when I was home. He was probably around 19/20'' tts and looked like a heavy collie whippet x. ?

• Like 2

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The brothers bitch father is patterdale and dam is full whippet about 5mths.. Should be interesting to see how it works out. Def plenty of character.

cant believe i found this. not the best image but the little bitch is the first cross fellterrier.x. greyhound. the black n tan was 15 tts and he was the sire. the two pot lickers in the centre where

This thread has been done before I think so I apologise. I've been wondering about this cross for various reasons I'll not waste too much time on. Done a bit of searching and found what doesn't surpri

Posted Images

i bred a fell to a racing greyhound many years ago. got seven pups six dogs one bitch. the dogs averaged 23-25 tts. the bitch was the raciest at 19 tts.  on hindsite the little hardy beddy whippet i had would have produced a better litter.  i posted a pic on here a while back of the bitch. i think the second cross would be more productive.

• Like 2
On 14/04/2018 at 20:55, Black neck said:

My little fell will retreave ote it catches fur or feather alive tho err no

I think the popular terrier crosses are all mute breeds maybe that has a bearing on things

I read that the terrier crosses are mute breeds, that being the main reason for not using other terriers. Do any of you that have these crosses find that they open up?

4 minutes ago, Attaboy said:

I read that the terrier crosses are mute breeds, that being the main reason for not using other terriers. Do any of you that have these crosses find that they open up?

If you believe bedlingtons are a mute breed think again plenty of the terriers open up. i have a old one but he has been mute, i have seen a fair few beddy/whippets some have been yappers and some have not.

1 minute ago, darbo said:

If you believe bedlingtons are a mute breed think again plenty of the terriers open up. i have a old one but he has been mute, i have seen a fair few beddy/whippets some have been yappers and some have not.

My dog has a lot of whippet and I think that whippets can tend to yap.

1 hour ago, darbo said:

what about Airedale , are they noisy , 

9 hours ago, bird said:

what about Airedale , are they noisy , 

Ya knows Ray I had a family member that was gonna bred his f1deerhound grey to his Airedale we list track so I do never got updated but they would have been interesting and I never heard that terrier bark a he was hunted but I never got see him liked the water ducks waterfowl like a gun dog but catty used..atb bill

10 hours ago, Dan McDonough said:

I haven't seen any terrier crosses that opened on track.

Over here Dan lots work ground with lots a cover woodland etc unsighted game etc can be a trigger for opening up in the terrier types bedlingtons amongst others can be guilty of this trait.atb bill

12 hours ago, hjckcff said:

i bred a fell to a racing greyhound many years ago. got seven pups six dogs one bitch. the dogs averaged 23-25 tts. the bitch was the raciest at 19 tts.  on hindsite the little hardy beddy whippet i had would have produced a better litter.  i posted a pic on here a while back of the bitch. i think the second cross would be more productive.

I don't suppose you can link the thread or re-post the picture please mate? Be interesting to see as the only stuff I've seen has been the whippet crosses.

Edited by Born Hunter
1 hour ago, billhardy said:

Ya knows Ray I had a family member that was gonna bred his f1deerhound grey to his Airedale we list track so I do never got updated but they would have been interesting and I never heard that terrier bark a he was hunted but I never got see him liked the water ducks waterfowl like a gun dog but catty used..atb bill

there are or were great breed  ,about 45 years ago  was walking down the cut  = canal   me wolves is coming out lol , had nice staff bitch with me  she was 19 in 42 lb chain weight , not in to lurchers back then just bull breeds our staffs were leggy type more like pits of today . anyway met bloke with big  male   rough Airedale looked about 25in , we got talking them had a mooch that day. this bitch i had  was great at ratting , rabbits, and would pile in to  anything with teeth  , was ok with other dogs if they were ok with her . the Airedale  had good temp as well bit like my staff bitch, we had great old mooch knocking few rabbits out and looking for rats , his dog never barked  once , loved water and very good guard dog , real nice breed  well they were back then, most  are fooked now like all ped dogs to day, i know  penny on here use  them to x  running dogs , but me self i like them in pure form . there enough of other breeds out there to use to get a lurcher , well i think anyway :thumbs:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, darbo said:

Same with whippets.

9 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I don't suppose you can link the thread or re-post the picture please mate? Be interesting to see as the only stuff I've seen has been the whippet crosses.

ive tried to find the post with no luck. i'll post the pic again if i can find it. 

• Like 1