Fell terrier cross

11 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Well critical levels of hardness it will have to be a bull whippet for you sir plus you get the added bonus of wearing the full tracksuit and trainers and snearing at folk 

Don't need 'critical' hardness in this cross, just enough. I simply meant that my terrier isnt hard enough for me to be really happy breeding her despite her other excellent traits. And that level of hardness I would consider critical in the terrier side of the 1st cross. If that explains it better.

I think bull would be the wrong move for me personally. I think a good terrier has more to offer me in a lurcher.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The brothers bitch father is patterdale and dam is full whippet about 5mths.. Should be interesting to see how it works out. Def plenty of character.

cant believe i found this. not the best image but the little bitch is the first cross fellterrier.x. greyhound. the black n tan was 15 tts and he was the sire. the two pot lickers in the centre where

This thread has been done before I think so I apologise. I've been wondering about this cross for various reasons I'll not waste too much time on. Done a bit of searching and found what doesn't surpri

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Don't need 'critical' hardness in this cross, just enough. I simply meant that my terrier isnt hard enough for me to be really happy breeding her despite her other excellent traits. And that level of hardness I would consider critical in the terrier side of the 1st cross. If that explains it better.

I think bull would be the wrong move for me personally. I think a good terrier has more to offer me in a lurcher.

I have the answer to your prayers.............. are you ready

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Have you seen some of them old fells  in particular a dog called red ike he was well up on the leg would of bin ideal

I know of a couple of black dogs that would be perfect for this cross although I’d get some funny looks if landed on the mans yard with the wife’s whippet and asked him for the service. Lol.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I know of a couple of black dogs that would be perfect for this cross although I’d get some funny looks if landed on the mans yard with the wife’s whippet and asked him for the service. Lol.

Was thinking more of size you know when the terrier had to run wi the hounds all day some were quite tall anyroad I've put the lad onto the right stud now he won't look no further

7 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Was thinking more of size you know when the terrier had to run wi the hounds all day some were quite tall anyroad I've put the lad onto the right stud now he won't look no further

That’s the type I know of bn, big and up on the leg and rough as hell.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jiggy said:

I can't think of any reason why fell(patterdale) x greyhound isn't more popular. People would use sh1t untested bulls and Wheatons first . The only conclusion I can make is they wouldn't throw height, other than that they should be a perfect gamely cross for taking foxes. I don't think they would retrieve rabbits back to hand alive though. They have too much character for that.

The important thing his in using a black terrier with breeding behind it from gens of good earth dogs,fa roust about s,mall type the  whippet xs,great little bit a sport can be had [BANNED TEXT] em,we'd ta all living breathing creatures.lol. Take em fa just that .atb bill

• Like 1

Mine is a Jagdterrier x Whippet.  One of the nicest dogs I've ever had.  I sold him because he didn't tree and much of our game is tree game (coons, squirrels, bobcat , grey fox, bear).  I was so impressed with him, I'm making a similar cross this Spring.  I'm using a great all around Jagdterrier that is a great locating tree dog, retrieves, is a very good track dog and plenty hard.  I'll be putting that dog over a fast, smart and very well built staghound female.  I think I could use the size, but it's the natural tree dog that I'm really after.  I'll post some pics. and stories when the time comes.

There's man in Missouri that has been making Pat x Whippet crosses for about a decade.  He uses them on groundhogs mostly.  I need something that has a nose like a hound, trees like a squirrel dog and has some speed to boot.  It should be a good time working this litter up when they get here.  :)

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Dan McDonough said:

Mine is a Jagdterrier x Whippet.  One of the nicest dogs I've ever had.  I sold him because he didn't tree and much of our game is tree game (coons, squirrels, bobcat , grey fox, bear).  I was so impressed with him, I'm making a similar cross this Spring.  I'm using a great all around Jagdterrier that is a great locating tree dog, retrieves, is a very good track dog and plenty hard.  I'll be putting that dog over a fast, smart and very well built staghound female.  I think I could use the size, but it's the natural tree dog that I'm really after.  I'll post some pics. and stories when the time comes.

There's man in Missouri that has been making Pat x Whippet crosses for about a decade.  He uses them on groundhogs mostly.  I need something that has a nose like a hound, trees like a squirrel dog and has some speed to boot.  It should be a good time working this litter up when they get here.  :)

i might be wrong here , but most sight houndxs  work there quarry, by sight , and use there there nose  2nd  if they loose there quarry, over here  lamping very popular  =spotlighting   many time my dog caught stuff out of the lamp, he used his nose to relocate  it ,  like said on this post the pat or the jagdt  x back to whippet or whippetx grey  would b great type lurcher   for  most quarry  and barking at stuff up a tree  , not what most lurcher blokes want lol  .:thumbs:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dan McDonough said:

Please do that, be real interesting to see how a larger sighthound (stag) effects the stamp of the pups. But like Bird said, and I think you mentioned this before on this forum, you guys want a dog to give voice whereas over her in this type of dog it'd be seen as a fault. I could forgive the odd yap but not like a terrier does yapping constantly when chasing, lol. But to be honest I see this cross as more than just a running dog and would be judged by more than simply it's catch rate on the lamp for me.