Hello some trails that I did back in 2015 using a Nightsite Wolf, at a ir wave length of 850nm  i was getting  much better visibility at distance and if I can remember correctly the night Wolf was at that time using 850nm,the problem was that at that wave length the dull red glow that is unavoidably emitted by ir can still be seen quite easily and I was getting problems with charly seeing this and turning and running before I could get him in distance with my .17 hmr,so I trailed a (T67 950nm) ir torch which at this wave length the dull red red glow is less visible to us humans and animals,the torch had three output levels, coupled with my Nitesite Wolf I was getting resonable results,after turning of ir on the Nitesite using the torch only I was getting over 300 yards good visibility on full zoom full power,150+ on medium.up to 40+low,all this with a fraction of visible ir light (the dull glow) that I got from 850nm ir,of cause the amount zoom to flood on this torch does impact on distance  but I was getting reasonable results at all levels compared with the  850nm ir on wolf set up,the only downside at the moment is the extra weight added with the torch mounted on scope but to combat this I was using a set of shooting sticks whilst out stalking.

In a nut shell to sum up at 850nm the ir seen through any receiving device is much more of a stronger light,at 940nm the ir light is some what weaker but the visible spectrum that we and animals can see is less visible,just remember as I found all that extra kit added to a rifle can make them extremely uncomfortable to carry and use especially if your stalking, Thank You hope this might be of some use..    

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, goldfinger said:

Hello some trails that I did back in 2015 using a Nightsite Wolf, at a ir wave length of 850nm  i was getting  much better visibility at distance and if I can remember correctly the night Wolf was at that time using 850nm,the problem was that at that wave length the dull red glow that is unavoidably emitted by ir can still be seen quite easily and I was getting problems with charly seeing this and turning and running before I could get him in distance with my .17 hmr,so I trailed a (T67 950nm) ir torch which at this wave length the dull red red glow is less visible to us humans and animals,the torch had three output levels, coupled with my Nitesite Wolf I was getting resonable results,after turning of ir on the Nitesite using the torch only I was getting over 300 yards good visibility on full zoom full power,150+ on medium.up to 40+low,all this with a fraction of visible ir light (the dull glow) that I got from 850nm ir,of cause the amount zoom to flood on this torch does impact on distance  but I was getting reasonable results at all levels compared with the  850nm ir on wolf set up,the only downside at the moment is the extra weight added with the torch mounted on scope but to combat this I was using a set of shooting sticks whilst out stalking.

In a nut shell to sum up at 850nm the ir seen through any receiving device is much more of a stronger light,at 940nm the ir light is some what weaker but the visible spectrum that we and animals can see is less visible,just remember as I found all that extra kit added to a rifle can make them extremely uncomfortable to carry and use especially if your stalking, Thank You hope this might be of some use..    

Thankyou golfing , Im only keeping  the rabbit population down with a sub 12ft/lb airrifle but when trying laming with either white or red lens rabbits were off as soon as they seen the beam, that's why I went for the 940nm instead of the 850,i  dont really need to see 300yds but 150yds would be good but I didn't want to pay an Xtra £200 for the RTEK wolf, hence the viper and maybe an added ir torch... 

When rabbits and anything else has been lamped at night they can become weary of that colour light,so if lamped with a red light they can become spooked by the dull red glow from an ir source and bolt, you can see this happening though your ir sight the rabbits will actually look in your direction when they notice that dull red glow,if there not lamped regularly they won't bolt.

• Like 1