46 minutes ago, philpot said:

How easy is it to get a 940 nan torch Phill.

Phil

Ive seen them on the optic-fire website, buy the torch and add the pill of your choice, red, green, white, 850 or 940... Not really looked anywhere else as of yet... 

• Like 1

On 12/04/2018 at 15:38, philpot said:

Ah, the Dark Op's Viper then Phill, you are the first person I know to get one so I will be very interested to see what sort of distance it will reach and not just eye shine. I know the 850 nanometer has always had a better beam than the 940 nanometer light source so I will be most interested to hear how you go on with it matey.

Phil 

Phill... As far as rabbits go I can make them out to 60-70yds with IR on full, anything past that it's eyeshine only and there are a few pheasants around so even tho I would,nt take a shot at that distancewith sub 12ft/lb I can't make out the target past that distance.... But I'm assuming an added 940IR torch will give me better vision and range... Then again I was only using a cheap 3-9x50 hawke scope so once I'm using  my mtc viper connect when I fix my leaky hw100 better optics might give me better vision aswell but Im not sure it would... Time will tell... 

Edited by Phill-W68

Thank you for the feedback Phill, just not far enough for my needs with FAC so that one is out of the window. It has to be said that in many cases, the Nitesite units do not reach the distance they state and I have noticed a number of IR Torch makers do the same boasting greater range than can be attained. I confess that I find this bloody annoying after all we buy a product by the spec given for the product and despite me loving the Nitesite NV units, I do not think it is right to make claims that are nothing short of bullsh1te.

I was interested in a Wolf unit but again feedback has shown they will not do the 300 yds stated and much nearer to 200 yds so then we are looking at an Eagle at 500yds which I am certain will not reach 500yds but enough for a rimmy / 17HMR.

Rant over

Phil

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, philpot said:

Thank you for the feedback Phill, just not far enough for my needs with FAC so that one is out of the window. It has to be said that in many cases, the Nitesite units do not reach the distance they state and I have noticed a number of IR Torch makers do the same boasting greater range than can be attained. I confess that I find this bloody annoying after all we buy a product by the spec given for the product and despite me loving the Nitesite NV units, I do not think it is right to make claims that are nothing short of bullsh1te.

I was interested in a Wolf unit but again feedback has shown they will not do the 300 yds stated and much nearer to 200 yds so then we are looking at an Eagle at 500yds which I am certain will not reach 500yds but enough for a rimmy / 17HMR.

Rant over

Phil

Phil what about the ir i sent down

the one i lone you that pav gave me with the big lens

fitted to the t20 was that no good ether as i think its mint and lights up much further than a normal t20ir

if it was then may be you should look into getting one of them

pav could tell you what kind it was .

it was like a double,er but for a t20

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I have the Tracer ir and a T50 which double the Nitesite Viper with ease, in fact the Tracer on it's own is better than the Nitesite lamp. The T20 you sent was superb but it was a T38 lens on a T20 body I think Jimmy because the 'T' number is based on the lens diameter and that one is about 38mm. Cracking little torch though mate, really really good.

Phil

1 hour ago, philpot said:

Rant over

Phil

I agree mate, there not cheap even more so the wolf and the Eagle..... I was thinking of getting the optic-fire xc 50 with the 940nm pill, its states 300yd which I would,nt need for sub 12 but then the 940 would knock some range off that to start with so I'm guessing it will get me out to 200yd for spotting..... Just dont know where I'm gonna stick it... The hw100 weighs enough as it is without the viper on top plus an Xtra IR, I use shooting sticks, I was thinking  if there was a way I could attach the torch to the swivel head of the sticks with a rattail to turn on and off, then as the gun rests on the sticks and scans from side to side the xc50 would follow the gun... (if that makes sense? ), I'm not sure how big the xc50 is, I cannot find dimensions anywhere. 

Edited by Phill-W68

A T or XC 50 is not light in weight and will make a difference to the HW. To be honest my old HW100 was the reason I went for a Nitesite in the first place which really made a huge difference to the handling of the gun with a much lighter weight N|V system.

Perhaps the range you have without any extra ir will be fine for you so I would run it like it is for the time being Phill and make a judgement call at a later stage.

It may be worth getting in touch with LEDray to establish if they have a 940nan pill which is not shown on their page. I have the LEDray ir rechargeable kit which is as light as a feather but packs quite a punch. You may as well send an email because I am thinking they are looking into 940nan torches as the trend grows.

https://www.tracerpower.com/tracer-gun-lights.html

Phil

• Like 1
7 hours ago, philpot said:

A T or XC 50 is not light in weight and will make a difference to the HW. To be honest my old HW100 was the reason I went for a Nitesite in the first place which really made a huge difference to the handling of the gun with a much lighter weight N|V system.

Perhaps the range you have without any extra ir will be fine for you so I would run it like it is for the time being Phill and make a judgement call at a later stage.

It may be worth getting in touch with LEDray to establish if they have a 940nan pill which is not shown on their page. I have the LEDray ir rechargeable kit which is as light as a feather but packs quite a punch. You may as well send an email because I am thinking they are looking into 940nan torches as the trend grows.

Phil

I was thinking more for spotting giving me the chance to spot them then get closer for the shot, I hav,nt tried the viper on the hw yet at it has a leak,( waiting for o-rings to arrive should be today), see how it feels and what it's like to carry about in the field. 

14 hours ago, philpot said:

Phil

Phill... I got Intouch with tracer/ledray, and I got em email back K from Alex I think it was saying all their pills/torch are 850nm......but thanks for the help.... ? 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

Well I ended up getting the optic-fire XC50 with the 940nm pill.. WOW what a difference that makes to be able to see past 50yds clearly, but it does add weight to the gun coz it's a hefty torch, not tried it on the hw100 yet as it's in for a service and reg rebuild, that's gonna be a heavy set-up, still not thought of a way to attach the torch to the swivel mount on the primos sticks yet, save a bit of weight on the gun..... 

Well not only did I buy the Tracer torch, light as a feather and what a beam but now bought a Nitesite Wolf at a recent shooting show for £319 new. The stand were selling all three models for Nitesite at super prices and selling loads of them. Anyway, I am well pleased with the Wolf, just need the dark nights back again.

My wolf and the Tracer I recon is on a par with the Eagle although to be honest I doubt I will ever need to use the Tracer now.

Phil

• Like 1