new vas hob

Well after seeing a different vet at my local practice and deciding he was a clueless idiot,  (the usual vet I see who works hawks over ferrets, and is very good wasnt there) I walked out and said I will go somewhere else! I then thought I have 3 jills very much in season, and the two older ferrets that have the implant that will probably need taking out in a year, I thought I need another option. I was just browsing gumtree and saw 4 ferrets for sale only 20 miles up the road. One was a bew hoblet, with one bew, one silver and a poley jill all 2 years old. Well I didnt really want another 4 ferrets, but they were an all or nothing number, but with an asking price of 60 quid to cover the op on the hoblet, they were very reasonable in anyones book. The hoblet brought the jills out last year, and two of the jills so far this year, so hes still firing blanks hopefully.

Well I knocked on his door just before 9am, and went around the back to view the ferrets. The hoblet was a big 'ol boy, a little nervous, but when I got him out he was like a teddy bear. The jills were soft as hell, I picked them up and could do what I liked with them, I thought these have been well handled and cared for. The chap selling them said hes getting too old to be bending over placing nets and crawling through hedges now, so he will just continue with his fishing and a bit of clay work. Well i went and got the boxes from the motor, and I had picked up just the twin and triple bow backs. The ends of the triple were the biggest, so we did try putting him in there, no chance! Why I didnt bring the big single I dont know?? Well he said I could borrow his big single, and drop it off at a later date. All the ferrets were then boxed up and put in the back of the motor.

The day before, I had a word with a local hutch maker, and made sure he had some hutches in stock just in case I did have them. Well the boxes were put in the ferret court while I hitched up the trailer. 10 mins later I was at his barn, and a 5ft double tier was loaded up. I also wanted another hutch to be his love palace, and there is a 3ft gap between the court and my wall, so a 3ft triple was roped up in the trailer too. As my wallet was considerably lighter, I thought I must be mad getting more ferrets as I drove home. I then phoned up the old chap to give me a lift with the hutches. 15 mins later, he turns up with my sisters dog in tow. I have to take the end off the court to get the 5ft in, so we lift the triple in position, and put the 5ft against the court. As soon as we did this, it started to rain, I thought bugger that today, and had a cuppa. Half hour later, the rain eased off, so I put the wood shavings and bedding in the courts. Water bottles and food bowls were added, so in went the ferrets. The 3 jills were soon clambering all over and getting settled. The hoblet could clearly smell my other jills in season and was bouncing around all over the place in the bottom level of the hutch, he couldnt wait! In fact he was bouncing around for hours! I just checked on them all and topped up the food bowls just after it got dark, he had finally gone in the top nest box and bedded down for the night, until he heard me walk to the court, and out again bouncing around. Well they have all settled in well, ok, I didnt really want another 3 jills as my 5 are enough, but with all the permissions I got this past winter, and if it snows again the silver/poley will be handy, they will get plenty of use. The hoblet might even get his first job tomorrow. Really happy with them, I may have spent more than I wanted with the two extra hutches, but having a vas hob will be worthwhile in the long run with the price of visits to the vet for implants being extortionate. 

One of your Jill’s wore the poor hob out! After 6 hours of ferret love, I found him knackered and she was biting his neck wanting more action. It made me giggle, after all the dragging about she got for a few hours, she had the last laugh.

• Like 1