Winchester sub's .22

Now that the weather is getting better, my pal and myself are starting to spend a bit more time learning the ways of our rimfires. Whilst doing some target work the other evening, we both had some very inconsistent results. A number of shots were much louder than most with these louder shots shooting high. I should say we were shooting bench rested and prone. The guns used were an Anschutz and a Browning T bolt.

Has anybody had similar issues with Winchester sub's.

My pal has heard on another forum that Eley sub's seem to get a good feed back.

Phil

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RWS are worth a try, I find the accurate and consistent. A little slower than some, but also quieter than most subs.

Iv'e been using Winnie subs for 12 years and never had a problem.

I’m on s&b’s atm, not bad, but not the best for me. Got about 25 left then I’m off to get some more rws I reckon.

Not tried the Winchesters myself, but I know a lot of people who do so they can't be all bad. Eleys were my first choice for accuracy and consistency but the latest version of them seems to have an extra waxy coating and eventually gums up my CZ452 so cases get stuck in the chamber every 20 shots or so. I got round this by giving the ammo a wipe with a cloth before loading them. 

At the moment I'm using CCI subs which don't get stuck at all, but aren't as consistent.

Eleys are well worth a try as it's pot luck if your gun cycles them properly or not. I'm one of the unlucky ones, but you might not be. 

12 hours ago, philpot said:

Now that the weather is getting better, my pal and myself are starting to spend a bit more time learning the ways of our rimfires. Whilst doing some target work the other evening, we both had some very inconsistent results. A number of shots were much louder than most with these louder shots shooting high. I should say we were shooting bench rested and prone. The guns used were an Anschutz and a Browning T bolt.

Has anybody had similar issues with Winchester sub's.

My pal has heard on another forum that Eley sub's seem to get a good feed back.

Phil

Yes see my post winnie subs going zing,had 3 go crack in 1 ten round mag ,and U/D said he,d had this too atb

• Thanks 1

Son in law bought a brick of 42 grn wins. They didn't chamber very well in his Brno auto. Normally a 22 rf is 40 gn but with these 42grn  bullets the extra 2 grns of lead makes the tip more round nosed and bulbous. when the round was stripped out of the mag it reared up and the tip hit the top of the action causing the tip to badly damaged or even the whole round to be bent to almost a right Angle.  The ones that did chamber had a very variable ignition and accuracy. I bought them off of him and they shoot ok in my old BSA sporter. My favorite is RWS. But every gun is different.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1

The 40 grain Winchesters were a nightmare in my Magtech semi auto. RWS were much better. I now use the 42 grain and have had no problems, with better knock down power than the RWS out to 60 yards. This was my first field test with the 42 grain Winchesters. Four rabbits in four shots out to 70 yards.  http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/42-grain-winchester-22-subsonic-long-range-field-test/

• Like 1
2 hours ago, skinner said:

same here never had problems and have used them best part of 30 years

Same here never had a problem ccis though had richoctets all over the place 

I have had a few people suggest trying the RWS subs including an RFD who has found them to be a perfect partner for his Anschutz so they are on the list along with Eleys to try later this week. CCI shells seem to get a very mixed report, a love/hate shell in a number of cases it appears.

Phil

Eley subs were once my preferred bunny basher, consistant, quiet and accurate, but became unobtainable in my area. I tried a couple of boxes  of 40 grain Winchester subs in my Magtech semi auto, which gave misfires and failed to cycle, plus the odd zinger, probably one in four giving some sort of trouble. A friend gave me some RWS, which never failed to fire and were as quiet and accurate as the Eleys, but did not knock the rabbits down as hard, often needing that second shot, that a semi can give. Then my RFD retired and couldn't find a dealer with RWS, so tried the 42 grain Winchester, which though noisier, give me the confidence to take on 70 yard rabbits.

• Like 1

Biggest problem with all .22l/r seems to be a regular supply ,the place i got my first "samples" from on my return to buy more of the same had sold out of the Lapua and as its a 25 mile round trip to there or 40 to Derby n back it can be a pain .It,s a shame u find a round your happy with then have to ring around the wreckin to get anything the same.Luckily my CZ likes CCI and Lapua and Eley,s so chop n change isnt too much hassle.

7 hours ago, kenj said:

Eley subs were once my preferred bunny basher, consistant, quiet and accurate, but became unobtainable in my area. I tried a couple of boxes  of 40 grain Winchester subs in my Magtech semi auto, which gave misfires and failed to cycle, plus the odd zinger, probably one in four giving some sort of trouble. A friend gave me some RWS, which never failed to fire and were as quiet and accurate as the Eleys, but did not knock the rabbits down as hard, often needing that second shot, that a semi can give. Then my RFD retired and couldn't find a dealer with RWS, so tried the 42 grain Winchester, which though noisier, give me the confidence to take on 70 yard rabbits.

I can’t believe that the rws subs don’t hit hard enough to knock the rabbits down. Some people even shoot them with air rifles don’t ya know. An air rifle pellet only has a fraction of the strike energy of a rimfire bullet. You state that they’re accurate, hit the rabbits in the right place and they’ll be dead. I used to use eley club solid round nose, not hollow point, and head shot rabbits were dead. They were accurate, that’s what matters. Any .22 rimfire bullet has more than enough hitting power to dispatch any rabbit with good shot placement.

• Like 1

I know what you are saying, I shoot air rifles too, usually prone. My FAC Career 707 at 28 ft lb firing H&N Barracudas stops rabbits at 30 yards with chest shots, while my HW100 Weihrauch at 12 ft lb is head shots only at that range. Anything slightly off due to a movement and they are kicking, sometimes running off. These are on parkland and recreation grounds, where my permission is air rifle only.

My .22 rifle is a semi auto, which I use for walking up rabbits in a wooded area and around farm buildings. Most of my shots are to hand and go for the chest area. Whether it is the semi auto absorbing some of the charge, or the slower RWS bullet with its very small hollow point, or a combination of all three, I don't know, but many times a dead on shot has, tumbled the rabbit, only for it to keep on running. I got into the habit of tap,tap shots to make sure. On paper the RWS is very accurate. Since using the 42 grain Winchesters they go down and stay down, maybe due to more puff, heavier load and a much bigger hollow point by comparison. I bought a block of 400 at the time and all seem good.

For long range prone work it is my CZ452 Varmint, 16 inch barrel HMR firing Hornady VMax, that does the business.

• Like 1