opinions please

fred90

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:10, Night Walker said:

The great game, inspiring book and well written. Makes you wish you where out with them. Well worth a read

Pity more books like this are not wrote of a bygone era when every pit village and other large working class areas had caractures like Harold Wyman.

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never had to as yet Fred but I’ve come damn close on a few occasions , as I’ve got older I need to get the old adrenaline running ( just to keep me alive ?) and I find I’m going places I’d never have

We all Love to get back to a net bouncing with a few rabbits but the satisfaction of running a net out without a hitch and with a nice breeze in your face comes a very close second for me.

The last net I run out caught one buck rabbit, I took him out and rightly or wrongly let him go free. I hadn’t seen that many rabbits on that field for a few month but the night was perfect for that d

Posted Images

6 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Pity more books like this are not wrote of a bygone era when every pit village and other large working class areas had caractures like Harold Wyman.

you could make a start with all your tales of the good old days matey... younguns these days have never lived.

18 hours ago, vin said:

you could make a start with all your tales of the good old days matey... younguns these days have never lived.

Thinking about blokes like the late Bush Mangam and Derek Rawson both could keep you captivated with their tales of their escapades.lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/04/2018 at 20:46, Phil Lloyd said:

Night netting provides a special buzz, you can literally walk by night,.... any old fecking where ya likes...:thumbs:

Just reading this post , and I agree . It is a special buzz . I was taught by my grandad . He was an old Worcester poacher . He spent a lot of time with Romanys , hop picking and itinerant working . He made a living catching rabbits during the war . He used to tell me stories of sets he made picking up unimaginable hoards of rabbits . I wasn’t so lucky , I went out in the late 70s early 80s and if you came home with 10 it was a good night . We made our own nets , 100 yarders with steel round eyed pins . We cut hazel pegs , the length was from your armpit to the tips of your finger . We got old army surplus “great coats “ with the buttons cut off and a pocket sewn in the lining for the pegs and a big one for the net itself . I used to practice setting it on a playing field in daytime till I could do it blind fold . I would find a likely looking set and clear away any bramble or debris that might foul the net . Night time there was two of you , one on the net holding the top runner waiting for the knock and the other “running the piece”, which involved walking out from the net and walking up and down parallel to the net in the field , either rattling a box of matches or brushing the grass with a “flook”, which my grandad called his stick , which served as a self defence weapon to be used on keepers . Them were the days !!!

• Like 2