opinions please

fred90

hi all i have always used traditional nets but next season will be working alone.thought about rigging up a quick set or am i best sticking with traditional.is it possible to use traditional without having to backpeg? opinions please 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never had to as yet Fred but I’ve come damn close on a few occasions , as I’ve got older I need to get the old adrenaline running ( just to keep me alive ?) and I find I’m going places I’d never have

We all Love to get back to a net bouncing with a few rabbits but the satisfaction of running a net out without a hitch and with a nice breeze in your face comes a very close second for me.

The last net I run out caught one buck rabbit, I took him out and rightly or wrongly let him go free. I hadn’t seen that many rabbits on that field for a few month but the night was perfect for that d

Posted Images

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 23:15, terryd said:

Never tried a quickset and use a traditional alone. The thought of lugging a basket around doesn't appeal to me 

Once you do you won't go back, I have both never touch the traditional anymore, bare in mind most of the stuff I do I drive almost on top of them, not much walking involved these days I'm spoiled for choice  

8 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Best advice you can have mate an I’ll give it for free? practice practice an when ye got it right practice again at night???

cheers mate i have done quite a bit of night netting & had decent catches but only ever in pairs never worked alone. how do keep tension when you peg as you go 

when you throw the loops over your peg that keeps tention up to that point and on the way out to the next peg i try keep hold of the top line to hold the tension plus it also stops you from putting top to the pottom when pegging.

its not alway possible to keep hold of the top line as you have to reach in the pocket to find a peg and put it out so at this point try putting your thumb on the hank to stop it moving of the pin and pull it away from last peg to keep tension

if its not tight enough on the peg after that just throw an extra loop or 2 over until you get the tension.

you have all summer to get it right

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, smithie said:

when you throw the loops over your peg that keeps tention up to that point and on the way out to the next peg i try keep hold of the top line to hold the tension plus it also stops you from putting top to the pottom when pegging.

its not alway possible to keep hold of the top line as you have to reach in the pocket to find a peg and put it out so at this point try putting your thumb on the hank to stop it moving of the pin and pull it away from last peg to keep tension

if its not tight enough on the peg after that just throw an extra loop or 2 over until you get the tension.

you have all summer to get it right

cheers mate will give it some daytime practice.do you think this is a lot better than backpgging?

Wouldn’t like to be in a field at night with you... not with those thoughts going through your mind ?.

As for cutting em out.... I’m sure Smithie arms his rabbits with Stanley knifes with the amount of repairs I’ve done in the past ?

• Haha 1
Just now, W. Katchum said:

You be fine Fred, a bit practice an changing ye ways an ye be jamming in no time

cheers mate can't believe how much as changed.its good this site is here some really good people here

• Like 2