Out with the old

Made a start on the April bucks yesterday after work. The woods are looking great at the moment, leafless trees but lots of floor level greenery, electric green in places from the carpets of wild garlic and bluebells so the deer are far easier the spot than they were even a few weeks ago.

Im planning to leave the big bucks here but some of the ones I’ve seen are so big they make normal representative heads look pathetic, so much so the cull plan is has to include what might normally be left to try and get the numbers down. 

The stalk started innocuously enough as I spent 1/2 hour trying to get a button buck in a safe place to shoot. He eventually moved beyond practicality so I wondered on. I caught sight of a bucks shitty ass wondering ahead of me further up so went for a closer look. The head wasn’t too bad, still in velvet, appeared to be going back a little bit the shitty ass was enough to make him a contender for the game larder. He made it easy for me by couching down a few yards further up and I neck shot him while he was still oblivious. 

50411DCF-13BA-46CD-90D5-82FB05194E85.thumb.jpeg.90facca808fc7e8d590bed7493b276bb.jpeg

528783E2-E8EB-4E5E-ABB4-FE28F10A8476.thumb.jpeg.4bd3cb44839d21ed4b21ba67fb597442.jpeg

6D7AA016-856D-4249-9EB3-D78A05A649C6.thumb.jpeg.371d825c6681a721f03db700f57cdb41.jpeg

34503C8F-2EBE-4026-B151-A4C017E132F5.jpeg

• Like 1

It beggars belief Rich. There are some brutes in there, certainly appear bigger than the gold medal I’ve got in my shed. Looking forward to seeing them clean of velvet although the Forrester would rather it wasn’t at the expense of his trees! 

2 hours ago, Yokel Matt said:

It beggars belief Rich. There are some brutes in there, certainly appear bigger than the gold medal I’ve got in my shed. Looking forward to seeing them clean of velvet although the Forrester would rather it wasn’t at the expense of his trees! 

Nice position to be in to be able to leave the real cream of them and know there fairly safe ...Have they never been shot or has someone at some time culled the rubbish ? 

There’s that many about it’s hard to say Rich. It’s been stalked in the past although they seem to have moved on or largely stopped visiting. I only found out after I took on the place that a fella I know has permission here as well but despite best efforts I’ve yet to catch up with him about it and it’s starting to get awkward! 

5 hours ago, Yokel Matt said:

There’s that many about it’s hard to say Rich. It’s been stalked in the past although they seem to have moved on or largely stopped visiting. I only found out after I took on the place that a fella I know has permission here as well but despite best efforts I’ve yet to catch up with him about it and it’s starting to get awkward! 

I can see that but the estate contacted you about a deer problem that clearly he wasn’t managing. Had he been doing the job , because at the end of the day it is that , a job , there would have been no need to get some else in . Hopefully when he does find out he’ll work with you , he’s lucky they haven’t done what most estates do and just tel him they have got someone else doing the deer , don’t  bother coming over .. crack on .! 

Sounds like the place has been managed with trophies in mind .Leave the does and cull poor second year heads .You'e landed on a good spot mate .All that tuition I've given you can finally be put yo the test lol.

• Like 1

Apparently only two big bucks were taken last year and no does at all until I showed up so while I can understand if he’s pissed off it shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise.

All joking aside Tim your mentoring and guidance helped immeasurably, even when I had no ground of my own to return the favour with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, The one said:

Will you not be able to shoot one good head for yourself ? as i thought you take some out of every age range 

I’m more about making a good impression this season so will do exactly what I told the estate manager which is get the numbers down but leave the best to hold territory. As I’m sure you know age doesn’t always equate to a decent heads either.

E6D345A0-87A1-4C6C-AF64-07AB9A652C91.thumb.jpeg.37375698430527e39d76642af0c88799.jpeg

I bought a pile of dvds from another site and one was  buck shooting in Hungry  they shoot all the crap bucks what ever the age leaving anything  that looks like it could make  a good head later in it life .  But they still take a percentage of medal heads . But they reckon it only works there as it run by the government on such a large area , where as stalking in this country is done by many stalkers on different sized pieces of land and a few folk would only shoot the medal heads and leave the rest 

• 2 weeks later...