Anyone got this cross?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bet Burrell could add few extra hundred years of breeding with one of those ?

Just what you want bred into a man dog.Something that is naturally scared of man with a spooky temperament.

Think they call them Salukis ? ?

Posted Images

On 04/04/2018 at 22:11, robertb123 said:

once read about a bloke in south Africa crossing wolves with german shepherds for security dogs, he said the ideal mix was 1/16th wolf, for extra stamina, strength, nose etc, anything more was too wild 

Surely it would be less hassle and time consuming to just use a strong shepherd with good stamina and a decent nose.

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Surely it would be less hassle and time consuming to just use a strong shepherd with good stamina and a decent nose.

30 minutes ago, downsouth said:

I agree a large ddr male very strong tall learn athletic type seen one around thirty two inchtts,but still very healthy and leggy my preference over any wolf dog ,j atb bill

8 hours ago, downsouth said:

I suppose the bloke wanted to start his own line or breed, maybe an ego thing? I was told years ago that the working lines of GSD's in this country were f**ed and you had to go to Europe to get a good one. Maybe this fella had access to wolves and it was easier than importing good dogs.

2 hours ago, robertb123 said:

I suppose the bloke wanted to start his own line or breed, maybe an ego thing? I was told years ago that the working lines of GSD's in this country were f**ed and you had to go to Europe to get a good one. Maybe this fella had access to wolves and it was easier than importing good dogs.

Maybe.but I'm sure if the shepherds you had were that f****d that that you felt the need to cross to a wolf by the time you dis 3 more markings back to them f****d shepherds you'd be back to square 1 again.

9 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Maybe.but I'm sure if the shepherds you had were that f****d that that you felt the need to cross to a wolf by the time you dis 3 more markings back to them f****d shepherds you'd be back to square 1 again.

Agree with  you there. if you were going to do this cross to a working dog i'd imagine you'd do it to the best working dogs available. which begs the question, how good are the wolves used in these crosses?

1 hour ago, downsouth said:

true , there are some good gsds about,  but as said you have get working lines  east europe  ect, there bred for health, good hips/elbows , strong nerve , fast/ agile dogs, and very powerful  dogs with strong jaws, not over big  70- 85 lb , dogs this size  would wreak  a man easy ,  to guard your property  , and keep out  druggies / scum   they be spot on deff.  my brother sent me text, of a gsd in america   that had  ripped up a burglar , blood every where  ,  it done its job lol stopped the scum  . dont need a feckin wolf in the breed, if you get the right and proper gsd in the 1st place, its getting them, you got to do your homework , and get the right dog .:yes: 

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of crossing any breed back to a wild ancestor.We bred away from wolfs,dingo etc for thousands of years to get away from unwanted wild traits that made them hard to live with.Its like going backwards in evolution.Our ancestors were able to handle these animals but I'm guessing modern men are not as hard as the men of 10 000 years ago.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, bird said:

true , there are some good gsds about,  but as said you have get working lines  east europe  ect, there bred for health, good hips/elbows , strong nerve , fast/ agile dogs, and very powerful  dogs with strong jaws, not over big  70- 85 lb , dogs this size  would wreak  a man easy ,  to guard your property  , and keep out  druggies / scum   they be spot on deff.  my brother sent me text, of a gsd in america   that had  ripped up a burglar , blood every where  ,  it done its job lol stopped the scum  . dont need a feckin wolf in the breed, if you get the right and proper gsd in the 1st place, its getting them, you got to do your homework , and get the right dog .:yes: 

To be truthful Ray Eastern European lines are too much for 90%of people to keep.A good friend of mine ran the Metropolitan police dog programme for over 25yrs and reckons they were too much for for the police to use as they would spend 80% of each shift spinning around in the back of the van barking at nothing.He showed me a picture on his wall of his favourite dog from the 80s and said that is what he's trying to produce now.He said the dog could do crowd control on a weekend visit primary schools during the week and was active on the front tine during the Brixton riots as well as being a stable family pet.He said that it wasn't working lines or show/pet lines it was just as shepherd and that's what he's trying to do now is produce dogs that can do everything.

• Like 1

Dog can go by how a situation feels to him in the present moment,   even in a strange environment , that’s the beauty of the dog, it doesn’t break down into a instinctive pattern ,  which is fear based , 

whereas wolf first port of call is instinctive,  when placed  in a different environment , basically has to write a physical memory of a new encounter 

wolf , something different /new triggers fear first and painfully slowly overcomes that 

dog , bounds up to any new object /place without a care in the world 

dog is a wolf without all the restrictions life in the wild imposes on it 

dog is like a wolf on steroids , no fear , highly sexed , more aggressive , hyper friendly , completely social 

why the f**k you would want a non domesticated animal bred to work hand in paw in an every changing enviroment I don’t know , domestication is a loss of fear basically ,  

• Like 6
On 7 April 2018 at 06:25, robertb123 said:

That's a good point and there's speculation that early Alsatians had a drop of wolf in them  typicall German shepherds from the seventies onwards went through a period of decline ,through show stock ,  and backward keepers of the breed ,atb bill

• Like 1