A Ferrets Value ?

Guest vin

4 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Some companion dogs make bloody good workers too Just saying :yes:

Lloydy's just playing it down matey. . . Them pets of his are not like the usual pet doggies here in the UK. 

And his ferret's so lean and mean the old girl had to be a candidate for "Mr Chuckles" girlfriend..lol.  her offspring is magnificent!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Following from what Phil said about finding quarry in different circumstances I have different ferrets for different circumstances. I have a hob that will refuse to leave a rabbit below ground and is

Like most folk,.I've had ferrets that have come from the strangest of places... Pet homes, hippy communes, Laboratories, even genuine 'ferret farms',...plus a handful that I have trapped in carro

Just breed what you need, gifting what you dont need to known working homes and knock the rest.  If you push the price up then all of a sudden the internet will be full if ferret farmers selling

Posted Images

Like most folk,.I've had ferrets that have come from the strangest of places...:blink:

Pet homes, hippy communes, Laboratories, even genuine 'ferret farms',...plus a handful that I have trapped in carrot cages, Fenns, and even some lost souls, found when out rabbiting...They all worked, to a degree and at the time, I was mighty glad of them...:yes:

However,... I've also been made to look a total c*nt , in front of a paying customer, by utilizing a borrowed Hob or a brace of so-called, terrific working Jills...

There is no substitute for being around, good honest, trustworthy, tried and tested, working partners, be they Canine,  Mustelidae, .or Human ...:thumbs:

File0368.thumb.jpg.443589ef528708fc8955da05e8fb6057.jpg

• Like 6

Heard to many people talk about ferrets as just some type of extra bit of kit than can be bought cheap when they want one one got rid of just as quick when the season is over, a good working ferret is your ferreting, without them your not doing nowt. Myself I like hobs like a pub doorman, get in there and get the fear of God into them and get them out quick or  stay until dug. Like robocop said "dead or alive your coming with me " lol

good post vin

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

Personally i think a real good working ferret is just as priceless as a good marking, each should hopefully compliment each other, a good one of either working together is a joy to watch.

Your totally right there my friend... Its like poetry in motion.

1 hour ago, Night Walker said:

Heard to many people talk about ferrets as just some type of extra bit of kit than can be bought cheap when they want one one got rid of just as quick when the season is over, a good working ferret is your ferreting, without them your not doing nowt. Myself I like hobs like a pub doorman, get in there and get the fear of God into them and get them out quick or  stay until dug. Like robocop said "dead or alive your coming with me " lol

good post vin

Thanks, night walker.   

Where I do a lot of ferreting the doorman type hobs of old are the only things that can shift em properly all day long. . . I like them big enough to kill em quick, but not too big like fat otters. Lean and mean killing machines.

5ac69b029ab47_moxy-Copy.thumb.jpg.2b7680e825bfa5a6516b359adf8c1c47.jpg

4 hours ago, Night Walker said:

Yes mate I'm exactly the same, it's that fear put into the rabbits I want that gets them moving sharpish ?? and if it's a dig then so be it

30 seconds - 1 minute... then it's out with the knocker box.

4 hours ago, Night Walker said:

Also like you say they can do that all day long because they have the power and the stamina

Still scratching in the box to get at em... on the way home... lol.

Vin, i think you are totally correct, good working ferrets are probably the most undervalued animal there is, i paid £5 for ferrets over 40 yrs ago and people think thats what they should pay now, these little grafters over their lifetime could put thousands of bunnies or rats in the bag, they take loads of hammer and still graft all daylong , why should we not pay a fair price for them,   just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

Whilst most definitely preferable to get a ferret from proven stock I have had some amazing ferrets from some odd places. One of the best ferrets I ever owned came from a cat cage in someone’s kitchen (aged 3) never seen raw food or a rabbit and yet she was unbelievable. 20 years later her blood still runs through my current strain of workers. Regarding cost I completely agree with Vin that good ferrets are criminally undervalued a lot of the time, I try and keep my own line with occasional input of fresh blood. 

I've found ferrets from too close breeding can be bitey and hard to handle.I think its more the work and experience you put in front of them than their breeding from workers,although working line ferrets might have bigger percentage of good workers in the litter and would be quicker too learn the ropes.

1 hour ago, Bobtheferret said:

Whilst most definitely preferable to get a ferret from proven stock I have had some amazing ferrets from some odd places. One of the best ferrets I ever owned came from a cat cage in someone’s kitchen (aged 3) never seen raw food or a rabbit and yet she was unbelievable. 20 years later her blood still runs through my current strain of workers. Regarding cost I completely agree with Vin that good ferrets are criminally undervalued a lot of the time, I try and keep my own line with occasional input of fresh blood. 

That ferret you obtained from the cage could have been bred from good working stock originally but just ended up in the wrong home before you saved it and showed it the light...lol.

I've seen pet bought ferrets that have worked better than working stock bred ferrets. . . . But then I always question the working stock in the 1st place..because a good worker to some people is a ferret that doesn't stay below and comes out of the warren with no trouble etc ( even though it probably left half the occupants of the warren still below etc ).

All I know is... If you have a good un and its bred some good uns... stick with it because the chances of success are so much higher.