A mod for the .243

I thought I’d ask for a little bit of advice, I’m in the market for a new .243, I think I’ve made my mind up on the rifle ( browning x bolt ) I’ve got the Schmidt and Bender scope but the sound mod I’ve got no idea, the last one was a wildcat and although this did the job very well it looked like a Pringles can, a lad in the gun shop recommended an A-Tec but he could of just been trying to sell me what he had, I’ve been looking at the Ase Utra Jet-z the thing that puts me off is the price and is it any better than the wildcat, thanks in advance, stav 

I was very happy with how the wildcat preformed and the fact it was a couple of hundred quid was a bonus the only thing that puts me off is how ugly the thing is, it looked sort of ok on the tikka but I think it would spoil the sleek lines of the x bolt, maybe I’m been a bit of a pounce but it’s like fitting Land Rover wheels to a Porsche 

Atec Maxim on my P/H .243 and if u dont think its quiet enough u can buy more baffle sections till u think it is .I also have the wildcat on my .308 and the down side is yes its a bloomin Pringles tube ,a heavy pringles tube atb

• Like 1

Ok, I go along with pretty much everything above on the Wildcat, but I'm still struggling to find anything much smaller; as good or better, and then of course there is the price, how much are you prepared to pay for fractions.

At the moment I still run the Wildcats on all my centrefires, .223, .243 and .308 but mine are all the COMPACT version and go some way to address the size and weight issues.  I have posted this pic a few times when this question arises, but maybe helpful.    The tube near the top right is the full length tube and gives some idea how much shorter the Compact version is.  You can buy ALL the parts to convert Full Wildcat to Compact should you so wish!

CentrefireGroupx.jpg.bbf67bf2272af0e3f1ffaa5038520a2f.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for that, it is looking like I’ll stick with the wildcats if nothing else they are half the price of Ase  Utra, like I said it looked ok on the tikka but they are bulky rifles, if I go for the x bolt they are a much slimmer and was a little concerned with the weight of the Pringles can

DC1C42C4-F60E-45F8-8050-D01937E56C25.jpeg

I think the A - Tec might sit nice on the x bolt, I’ve also been looking at the wildcat predator 8 compact, by wildcat standards you could say it’s compact I suppose, decisions, decisions, I never was any good at making my mind up, I think I’ll have a word with the lad in the gun shop see if he’ll let me try a couple out he’s had a few grand off me over the last 4 years or so and if he wants a few more he’d be mad to say no

Hi:

I've also got a Wildcat on my .270, but a Hardy Gen2 on my 22.250, the Hardy is really very good

it has open spiral ports at the front, it's lightweight and slim, the only downside I can see is that

you cant strip it down, that said the .270 is a real thumper, the 22.250 is a mild cracker by comparison.

The Hardy cost around £210 I think?

AF 

• Like 1

I use an evolution, different baffle stacks for calibres . Probably not the best but definitely good quality and does job. Used a pred 8 for years then switched as it was easier to change baffles and its also lighter than pred 8 although longer but a bit lighter and also ten baffle so a tad quieter to my ear.... I wouldn’t have a hardy mod if it was given to me on a plate of ten pound notes !. Awful things. Similar noise reduction down range but at the muzzle they’re loud as hell !!. 

At least you can get spare parts for wildcat that are reasonably priced and can fit them to different rifles quickly and easily.

tbh I’d rather spend the money on a better scope , or a new stock / mounts etc these days. Moderators are becoming like a fashion accessory with new models brought out fairly often. I’m in the opinion these days.... if it isn’t broken then why spend money fixing it !. 

Having a nice titanium gold plated mod might look nice to us but I’m sure a fox or deer won’t mind if your old one looks a bit dated or is a decibel quieter/ louder down range ?

• Like 1

I opted for a DPT moderator for my .223 and .243 after previously owning T8 and Wildcat Predator mods... They are REALLY light weight, and I'm impressed with them, great sound moderation ..

Give the choice it would be a DPT or Wildcat Evolution for me.

If you want to have a look at my setup just let me know, the distributor for DPT Euro is also on your doorstep in the North East.

Thanks for all your comments on this it’s always better to find out the information for people who use them than someone trying to sell me one, my biggest concern has been the weight, I liked the wildcat mod but think it will be to big for the x bolt