first hawk

So after many a hour with my head buried in books and reading various articles on the net,i think im nearing the stage when im ready to try my hand at falconry.Ive been fortunate enough to find a mentor who rescues birds of prey whos more than willing to show me the ropes and lend a helping hand should anything accur,so a massive thank yous deserved there.The designs for my mews have already been sent to the woodman who's knocking it together for me,so things are coming together nicely!!!.I still have permission on 2 local farms from my lamping days,with varied terrain from wild meadow,bushy scrub,to open farm land and a small wood.Ive decided on a harris hawk,but arnt sure on male or female??The general quarry consists of pheasant,rabbit,pigeon,and general bird species covids and alike.The rabbit population tend to stay tight up against the old railway embankment and rarely venture out in the daylight hours,whereas the phesants are fair game and would offer more of a sporting chance.Ive read all sorts of conflicting information about the capabilities of the male harris hawk???so not sure what to think.My head tells me to go with my gut instinct like when buying a working pup,as personality will differ from animal to animal???Anyone shed any wisdom??

• Like 1

On 02/04/2018 at 20:09, slip-em quick said:

So after many a hour with my head buried in books and reading various articles on the net,i think im nearing the stage when im ready to try my hand at falconry.Ive been fortunate enough to find a mentor who rescues birds of prey whos more than willing to show me the ropes and lend a helping hand should anything accur,so a massive thank yous deserved there.The designs for my mews have already been sent to the woodman who's knocking it together for me,so things are coming together nicely!!!.I still have permission on 2 local farms from my lamping days,with varied terrain from wild meadow,bushy scrub,to open farm land and a small wood.Ive decided on a harris hawk,but arnt sure on male or female??The general quarry consists of pheasant,rabbit,pigeon,and general bird species covids and alike.The rabbit population tend to stay tight up against the old railway embankment and rarely venture out in the daylight hours,whereas the phesants are fair game and would offer more of a sporting chance.Ive read all sorts of conflicting information about the capabilities of the male harris hawk???so not sure what to think.My head tells me to go with my gut instinct like when buying a working pup,as personality will differ from animal to animal???Anyone shed any wisdom??

Males will catch everything a female can once fit, and i think do it in more style 

• 2 weeks later...

The ideal situation would be for you to go out on lots of hunting trips with both male and female HHs so you can see the difference and choose which you prefer and which would suit your land and quarry that you have available.

You should try and contact some local falconers and see if you can tag along for a season before choosing.

Ask your mentor if he could introduce you to some local guys or else look at The Yorkshire Hawking Club.

A lot of guys would be willing to help out a beginner.

Good luck.

• Like 1

All hawks are different .. I was up the dales many years ago with a group of lads hawking rabbits and the best bird on the day was a Male Harris ... never refused a slip and was relentless if he missed, can’t remember the lad who owned him but I do remember he travelled from wales for the day.

That's the thing I have had a male that flew at 1lb 41/4oz and he was unbelievable a really gutsy little hawk. Took huge buck rabbits and cock pheasants regularly.

The males are more agile and exciting to fly but on the other hand the females are more lethal because of the extra weight and power. I have a female here that rarely misses on ferreted moorland rabbits. She will regularly take eight or nine in a session.

k107 114.JPG

k95_100.JPG

Edited by Moorman 1
  • Like 3
On 21/04/2018 at 07:30, Moorman 1 said:

That's the thing I have had a male that flew at 1lb 41/4oz and he was unbelievable a really gutsy little hawk. Took huge buck rabbits and cock pheasants regularly.

The males are more agile and exciting to fly but on the other hand the females are more lethal because of the extra weight and power. I have a female here that rarely misses on ferreted moorland rabbits. She will regularly take eight or nine in a session.

k107 114.JPG

k95_100.JPG

Looks a nice bird mate 

• 1 month later...