Fence snaring rabbits

Got some rabbit snares hanging up in the garden to weather and waiting to go. As they were weathering I was curious of other people's views regarding weathering snares or even traps for that matter. Is it necessary?.  Once they're out I'll put up some pics and of any catches. Weathers been awful and I don't like the idea of any trapped animals being stuck, open to the elements, causing unneeded stress, so just waiting for the weather to be less rainy then I'll get them set.  Feel free to post any of your rabbit snaring pics on here, love to see how others are doing in their area.

ATB

Not really needed with peg snares set on the beats when the rabbits are travelling out.. Beneficial when using fence snares, especially during periods of daylight and longer days when there more active during these times, as when there travelling at slow speed through fence lines, not all but some can see them (obviously not at night), weathering helps with some being avoided or knocked.. Put it this way , its not going to hurt anything, takes nothing to weather them and also help with two legged thieves taking them as once weathered there very hard to see if your not looking.

20 hours ago, stealthy1 said:

The shine wont make any difference once it's round the rabbits neck.  I've set new snares during sunny days, and on the walk back, picked up the odd rabbit.

I've watched videos of rabbits running up to snares on fencelines, avoiding them, jumping under them, through them... pegandgun had some good footage, showing this on the dales..
Winter when rabbits are more active at night and the days are shorter its less of an issue, as the spring and summer come into play and there more active during daylight, is when it can affect you... smaller juvenile rabbits, visibility, etc .. obviously you still snare a lot, but I find you can get more knocks during these periods.. 
I've used  new shiny fence snares on many occasions but I still prefer a weathered snare if just to make them more discrete if nothing else. 

Yeh that’s my opinion too mate, and definitely true for them being more shareable during the longer days and early nights.  Definitely many to be nice on Thursday so will get them sorted that evening. The runs I’m snaring are on the few runs that come into the wood and with snaring, more and location is normally the way in succeeding.

Got them set last night as the rain stopped. Checked them at 7 this morning. On way back when a rabbit stopped 10yds away and would of been an easy shot but guess who forgot their catty this morning... ?he had a old English black neck pheasant behind him as well and when I continued on my way, seen what at first looked like a partridge not 20yds from the pheasant and rabbit trying to flush, only the fence netting was stopping it. Turned out to be a woodcock and was clearly in view and identifiable once it managed to flush. Not something you see everyday ?

Forgot to get pictures of the first checked snares (doh!) but here's the last 2 anyway. Was hoping the snares would of weathered a bit more mind

20180404_072018.jpg

20180404_072115.jpg

Edited by hedge wanderer