I've recently bought a TX and was very impressed with the ease and accuracy. One small niggle is that it makes a hell of a crack so I fitted a Deben Whisper 180 silencer. Result, crack gone but now I can hear a weird, dull boing from the spring. It's nothing like the twang on my HW97. It was so horrible, I took it off as I'd rather have the crack than a comedy wet fart.

Any ideas, maybe a spring sleeve?

20 hours ago, Jonnyb6161 said:

I've recently bought a TX and was very impressed with the ease and accuracy. One small niggle is that it makes a hell of a crack so I fitted a Deben Whisper 180 silencer. Result, crack gone but now I can hear a weird, dull boing from the spring. It's nothing like the twang on my HW97. It was so horrible, I took it off as I'd rather have the crack than a comedy wet fart.

Any ideas, maybe a spring sleeve?

The dull boing is the silencer doing its job jonny

remember its a spring rifle and not a pcp mate so its not going to be as quiet as a pcp

i bet if you were down range when some one fired it you would not hear it

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

P250512_11.00_[01].jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Stripped the TX down and found there's no room for a spring sleeve but there's a loads of play between the spring and spring guide (about 1mm). No sign of wear. Also, the spring ends looked like they'd been "Dressed" by a shaved ape. I absolutely love the rifle but I'm really disappointed with Air Arms quality control. Has anybody else had similar issues? I've polished the spring ends and relubed. It's better but still not good.

"Delrin "spring guide perhaps,my 97kt had a horrible twang till i fitted a welsh willy kit ,all bits  were Delrin and made it a lot quieter .Also my supersport now has a delrin kit much less twanggg.You probably dont need a tune but you do need a quieter sounding rifle for your own sanity if nowt else atb

• Like 1

Hi Jonny, great choice of rifle mate, I regularly hunt with my T Rex 200 HC MK3 .177.

I have no issues with noise whatsoever but in saying that I had some work done to her by Rat Works.

The rifle is easily PCP accurate and "one hell of a hunting spring rifle". :good:

If it helps you any, here is a list of works done by Rat Works and do take on board Jimmy`s advice ( Big Mac), my TX is shot at all times without a silencer BUT a lot of TX lads use a silencer for extra weight and muzzle flip reduction, to aid accuracy that tad more.

IMG_0263.JPG.0b5a4a869159caef97a4af436e53bc16.JPG

atb  Mark

• Like 1

Cheers for the info mate. I tested mine and and I am very happy with the consistency although mine's running a bit lower power (10.66 ft/lb). This is plenty for me as I'm more interested in accuracy (last week I shot a 5 shot group less than 10mm at 50m). To be honest, it's just the noise that irritates me and maybe the power will come up a bit with a better fitting spring guide and top hat. I have a lathe, so I'm going to have a go myself. If it doesn't help, how much did it cost for the work you had done?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jonnyb6161 said:

Cheers for the info mate. I tested mine and and I am very happy with the consistency although mine's running a bit lower power (10.66 ft/lb). This is plenty for me as I'm more interested in accuracy (last week I shot a 5 shot group less than 10mm at 50m). To be honest, it's just the noise that irritates me and maybe the power will come up a bit with a better fitting spring guide and top hat. I have a lathe, so I'm going to have a go myself. If it doesn't help, how much did it cost for the work you had done?

Jonny get in touch with Si brown off here he will make you a kit for it

the mans a wizzer,d with spring rifles mate

no need to pay fortunes to get the rifle shooting right ,

the one i have for sale is a Si brown tuned tx200hc in 177

and its silent if out else he will tell you how to make it quiet and smooth

just give him a pm

he will help you out .

he also dose carbon fiber mods and could make you a one for the tx

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: